Random Music Talk XLIX: Celebrating traditional Australian customs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is it so common for bands to put a crappy or mediocre song in the second track spot on an album?

Man, oh man, I sure do love cleaning toilets!

Maybe not, but something I do love is when you finish listening to an album, and the next artist in your music player's list is something awesome. For example, Black Keys followed immediately by Black Lips.

A party I was happy to have end!

Because of year end lists, I've already purchased 1 album (tUnE-yArDz), downloaded (legally) another (The Weekndz), and mulling over buying a couple others I've enjoyed on Spotify (WU LYFz & Oneohtrixz Pointz Neverz). My wallet is angry, but my ears are happy.

Can you guys do a 'best songs of the year' thread and put some youtube links in it? I really feel like I need some new music and your lists are great, but everyone's tastes are so different that a small sample might help narrow the choices down. It would be a New Years delight

Can you guys do a 'best songs of the year' thread and put some youtube links in it? I really feel like I need some new music and your lists are great, but everyone's tastes are so different that a small sample might help narrow the choices down. It would be a New Years delight

#1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdbyG2MrBHk

Awwwwwwwwww yeah!!!!!!!!

Awwwww no.

How does that even exist?

Cute girl with an attitude enters a very popular televised singing competition in England, is lucky enough to have one of the hottest and most famous popstars in the country as her "mentor", she becomes a fan favorite and makes it far into the competition, gets a record deal, and the conveyor belt, pre-packaged pop songwriting teams come up with a lead single for her.

Pretty fucking simple actually.

Sheesh.

How the hell is scumbo possibly aware of that song?

I came across a list of the the worst songs of 2011, and the author's first sentence was something like, "A song so terrible that you'll want to destroy the entire United Kingdom", and couldn't not listen to it.

^ The best part about that is the song is indistinguishable from a number of other pop songs these days

I've been listening to music almost exclusively on Spotify for the last like four months, and I've noticed that there are four sacred bands (and four of my fave bands ever) that for some reason haven't licensed their music to Spotify, or something. Their catalogues are either not represented at all, or very sparsely represented on Spotify:

Beatles
Dylan
Zeppelin
Floyd

So I went to the CD store today with my Christmas cash and finally bought a bunch of albums by these artists that I've wanted forever but have never owned and are not currently on my iTunes. Here's my haul:

Beatles Anthology 3
A Hard Day's Night
Beatles For Sale
Past Masters Vol. 1

Time Out of Mind
Dylan & the Dead
Oh Mercy
The Basement Tapes

How The West Was Won

Animals
The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn
Meddle

Now, of course I'm familiar with most of this stuff already, but I didn't own copies of them. The one I'm most excited about is probably The Basement Tapes because I actually am not all that familiar with most of that stuff. Let's go.

:up:

Speaking of Spotify, I'm listening to low quality live recordings of Joy Division on there right now.

Dylan & The Dead is one of the worst things he ever released, if. It be absolute worst.

And I don't even dislike the Grateful Dead.

But that's balanced out by the endlessly rewarding Basement Tapes, and Oh Mercy, a personal favorite of mine.

Im not bothered starting a thread for 2011 in music

What are the music stories for 2011?

Bands breaking up:->
R.E.M split up, Faithless call it a day

Reformations-
The Stone Roses

Great songs
Atlas sound - Terra incognita, Cass Mccombs - County line, Bon Iver - Holocene, EMA - California

Well, if you're talking about break-ups, the White Stripes also broke up in 2011.

R.E.M. and the White Stripes both in the same year. Stripes, the best American rock band of the 2000s, and R.E.M., the best American rock band of the 1980s and 90s. Shame.

Top world tours of 2011:

wdovG.jpg

It should be noted that Shuttlecock only charged $1 to $3 per ticket more than Gaga, Bon Jovi (R.I.P.) and $ade (really?), when they're clearly worth more. Also, £lton John, Macca (LOL @ $135), Britney, Kanye/Hova, Kylie Minogue, Roger Water$ and Take That all had higher prices.

One has to give credit to Katy Perry, whose under-$50 average seems very reasonable considering her peers.

I took that "R.I.P." next to Bon Jovi to mean that the band had split, but apparently that is not the case.

Huge British boy band from the 90s (?). Robbie Williams (who is rather awesome) was in the group.

That I'd be happy to do. I hate not being able to be part of the "best albums" thread, but I've only brought one album that came out this year and that was Coldplay's latest, so...yeah.

But best songs? Definitely. I'll go hunting and put the links in at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom