Random Music Talk XLIII: 11 O'Clock Click Talk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems that another Hendrix box set is imminent. Has there been any other artist whose work has been as posthumously exploited as Hendrix? I think by this point that just about everything that he ever committed to tape must be commercially available.

Also, feel free to look over the lineup and suggest anything to me. Could use some time killers: ACL 2011

I was going to just make a list of people I want to see, but there are far too many. You said you're seeing Chromeo, right? Please make sure to do that if possible.

Ryan Bingham, Delta Spirit, Smith Westerns, Twin Shadow, Wild Beasts, Telekinesis, are all pretty great.

I don't much care for The Antlers live, but this new album might translate better.

Just heard Graduation... pretty underwhelming. It's so commercial and he hardly raps... so without many guests there's too much Yeezy. Flashing Lights is the best song. Lil Wayne's appearance is atrocious, so I'm still yet to hear anything close to good come from him. Still baffled by the love.

What it did do was give me a much greater appreciation for Dark Twisted Fantasy. That blows it clean out of the water, Watch the Throne too.

I hope College Dropout and Late Rego are better.

Going back to Weezy (what came first by the way? Yeezy or Weezy?) for a minute (and to go all IWB on your asses), I looked up some info. It appears Tha Carter 3 was hugely successful, commercially and critically. So I checked out Lollipop on youtube, given it was such a big single. Awful! Beat is cringeworthy (and unfortunately led to many imitations since), Lil Wayne sounds fucking awful, all shrill and shit (is he intentionally joking with the "best rapper" thing?), the song goes nowhere, the chorus, while marginally better than the verses, is nothing to write home about, and he looks like what a good satirist would dress himself as to ape a shit mainstream rapper. I know I focus way too much on what I don't like, but maybe Lemel or someone can explain to me the appeal? Ryan Dumbass unconditionally loves him - he sounds depressed in the review for Carter 4 that he has to give it a 6 or whatever it got - have I just heard, by some amazing coincidence, like 15 really shit songs by him or featuring him?

you haven't heard college dropout? friggin' cobbler, even i've heard that album. ages ago, finally managed to forget 99% of it. my sister used to listen to it all the friggin time.

and what does this giant paragraph have to do with me? i've never dedicated that much thought to anyone with a "lil" in front of their name.

Because I haven't heard it yet, because I stupidly assumed that since I live in Zach's hometown, and that since they're playing two shows here in a few weeks (one of them a benefit), that that meant I would be able to purchase the CD in a store in this very town, which turned out to be not true, and I just haven't gotten around to ordering it. :angry:

I'll do that right now. RIGHT NOW.

Stupid stores! I wanted to cry yesterday when I got an email from the only music store in Utah I still actually "like" about how they're likely going out of business at the end of the year, as they can't find someone to buy the store from them. If if had more money, I'd seriously buy the damn thing and run it.

:grumpy:

Who here has read Bill Flanagan's book? Finally finished it months, possibly even years after starting it. It wasn't as awesome as I hoped. Far too many parts where he just quotes someone verbatim speaking about extremely boring topics, mostly the business side of things. Yes, I wanted more sex, drugs n rock & roll... that's why Tokyo onwards was my favourite part. My favourite part of the whole book was Bill saying Bono often inhabits his characters, but "perhaps none more so right now than the character in Trying to Throw... he can't give up on the night until the night has more than given up on him". And the ending, Bob talking about how he picked up bees as a kid, was a great way to finish.

:)

i know i liked it when i read it, but that was a while ago and i'd probably hate it/not make it through the entire book for lack of caring now.

I usually don't allow anything pumpkin related into my life until October, but I have had these pumpkin spice candles since the wedding and I couldn't resist any longer. It smells wonderful in here.

Stupid stores! I wanted to cry yesterday when I got an email from the only music store in Utah I still actually "like" about how they're likely going out of business at the end of the year, as they can't find someone to buy the store from them. If if had more money, I'd seriously buy the damn thing and run it.

Sucks.

Best store in Atlanta (Criminal Records with the owner being one of the founders of Record Store Day) announced it will probably close in November.

I think I need to check out Beirut.

Also, feel free to look over the lineup and suggest anything to me. Could use some time killers: ACL 2011

212 had some good suggestions (Smith Westerns and Delta Spirit - but I think Smith Westerns was on your list). I really want to see Dale Earnhart Jr. Jr. I have not purchased any of their stuff - but like a few of their songs.

Hey guys,

I'm in Wisconsin now and heading to Chicago in the morning. Will be there for a day and then leave Friday morning.

Anything I HAVE to see? Any areas I should avoid? (like GAF's neighbourhood). Thinking of going to a White Sox game, too.

Psh, definitely should go to a Cubs game if nothing else for the historical factors. EDIT: Sorry, thought you said you were staying a couple days, neeeevermind, they don't have a home game til Friday.

Lots of touristy things to do on the Lakeshore: Planetarium, Aquarium, two great museums, Navy Pier, The Magnificent Mile, etc. I don't know what you're interested in seeing in that kind of regard.

Also you should totally come out to Indiana and hang with the Trashley :wink:

I would PREFER seeing a game at Wrigley, but as I see in your edit the Cubs are in town Friday.

Thanks for the advice, Ash. I'm moving with half my worldly belongings, so I'm somewhat worried about my car being broken into. I guess avoid any areas where GAF might be lurking and I'll be fine.

I would totally come to hang, but I'm on a tight schedule. :)

Hey guys,

I'm in Wisconsin now and heading to Chicago in the morning. Will be there for a day and then leave Friday morning.

Anything I HAVE to see? Any areas I should avoid? (like GAF's neighbourhood). Thinking of going to a White Sox game, too.

GAF probably lives in a good neighborhood (Boystown or Wrigleyville)...but the US Cellular neighborhood is not a neighborhood to leave a box truck with all of your stuff. Unless you are looking to get rid of it and file an insurance claim.

Who was born in a house full of pain
Who was trained spit in the fan
Who was told what to do the man
Who was broken by trained personnel
Who was fitted collar and chain
Who was given a pat on the back
Who was breaking away from the pack
Who was only a stranger at home
Who was ground down in the end
Who was found dead on the phone
Who was dragged down by the stone
Dragged down
By the stone

Just heard these Foster the People kids for the first time. When did they get so popular? And most importantly, why?

Hey guys,

The great thing about Chicago is that wandering the neighborhoods can be as fun as exploring downtown. Wrigleyville is a great neighborhood for bars and shopping. If you want to shop for music, Wicker Park has my all-time favorite record store: Reckless Records. The Aquarium near the Loop is fantastic but expensive; if you are an art fan, the Art Institute is one of the finest such museums in the country.

The area around the Sox is not as dangerous as commonly thought, but it is not anything close to a touristy neighborhood, either. I personally would avoid areas like Gold Coast, which tend to be very expensive without offering anything of substance.

Who was born in a house full of pain
Who was trained spit in the fan
Who was told what to do the man
Who was broken by trained personnel
Who was fitted collar and chain
Who was given a pat on the back
Who was breaking away from the pack
Who was only a stranger at home
Who was ground down in the end
Who was found dead on the phone
Who was dragged down by the stone
Dragged down
By the stone

Great, great album.

The great thing about Chicago is that wandering the neighborhoods can be as fun as exploring downtown. Wrigleyville is a great neighborhood for bars and shopping. If you want to shop for music, Wicker Park has my all-time favorite record store: Reckless Records. The Aquarium near the Loop is fantastic but expensive; if you are an art fan, the Art Institute is one of the finest such museums in the country.

The area around the Sox is not as dangerous as commonly thought, but it is not anything close to a touristy neighborhood, either. I personally would avoid areas like Gold Coast, which tend to be very expensive without offering anything of substance.

Thanks. Will look into these. :) Still looking at a place to stay and that's difficult to do when you don't know which neighbourhoods are OK.

Thanks. Will look into these. :) Still looking at a place to stay and that's difficult to do when you don't know which neighbourhoods are OK.

I understand. Generally speaking, the north side is the "safest" area of town in the sense that it is relatively wealthy and heavily policed. It has neighborhoods like Gold Coast, Lakeview, Lincoln Park, and Wrigleyville. It also has great public transit. The cost there, however, can be prohibitive, but places like Andersonville, which is relatively far north, have a lot to offer as well.

elevated_u2_fan said:
In terms of sight seeing, as lame as it sounds, the bean was actually pretty cool :up:

One of these days, I'm going to get high as fuck and that sculpture will change my life.

It's still awesome now though. Just the construction of it blows me away.

I don't know why it took me this long to realize that Lance is the one who created the Red Hot Chili Peppers thread.

I know we all have our musical skeletons in the closet, but that first post is a good for a laugh or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom