Random Music Talk XLII: Championship Vinyl Aux Holes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Whatever you do, do not try to get a degree online. Not that you would do that anyways, but the for-profit "universities" are always looking to prey on those who think that they have no other options. My advice would be to dump the job and go to school in earnest, at a legitimate university. It won't be fun - I say this having spent many years as an under-employed graduate student - but it will raise your long-term employment prospects.

Significant news, anybody!

Found out from my supervisor today that Comcast does over 5K in tuition reimbursement per semester as long as you get above a C. AND getting a teaching certificate is "business-related" because I could potentially parlay that into becoming a new hire trainer. Not that I would, but hey. So...maybe I'll hit the federal student aid application again for 2011 and see what they'll give me, combined with the Comcast reimbursement, I might be able to go back to school. Sweet.

I just listened to Crooked Rain. The problem with listening to best ofs, and I had this with U2 as well, is that when you eventually get around to the albums, the tracks you've already heard stand out like sore thumbs. It felt a bit all over the shop. Cut Your Hair, Gold Soundz, Range Life and Unfair were all the best tracks I felt, but then I got to Filmore Jive and I was pleased. That's a really fucking good song.

I also don't see what's so egregious about Hit the Plane Down. That bass riff is great. I was expecting a turd along the lines of European Son given how much it's dissed.

Spiral Stairs. That's what's wrong with it.

Also, yeah, that's one of the reasons I tell people not to get best-ofs. Especially for bands who make ALBUMS, instead of collections of songs.

Some of those songs you listed are highlights for sure, but Slience Kid is an amazing opener (arguably Pavement's best, tho I'm partial to We Dance and I know some would point to Summer Babe), and Elevate Me Later is also prime shit. I think both of those songs are better than Unfair, personally.

Stop Breathin' and Newark Wilder are great stoner tracks and shouldn't be discounted, either. With the exception of the TURD that is Hit the Plane Down, it's probably their most consistent album. Though I prefer the peaks of the three albums following it, and the sound is a bit too homogenous for a band that proved they could do so much more on Wowee Zowee.

Lastly, you get a Friggin' Cobbler for not bumping the appropriate Pavement thread.

Damn, I was gonna bump the Pavement thread too.

I had to look up "spiral stairs". Do you regard him in the same league as you regard McCartney relative to John?

Isn't it "Silence Kit"? I'm sure I'll come round to the other tracks. Fillmore Jive was stellar though.

I look forward to this journey.

Macca wrote a lot of great songs and was a brilliant bass player.

Spiral Stairs...

...well, he did write Kennel District and Painted Soldiers.

Isn't it "Silence Kit"? I'm sure I'll come round to the other tracks. Fillmore Jive was stellar though.

From Wiki:

Due to an ink splodge on the back of the original artwork, the song "Silence Kid" has become erroneously known as "Silence Kit". This misnomer persisted when designer Mark Ohe printed it onto the back of the re-issue Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain: LA's Desert Origins, despite the interior artwork showing the correct name in print several times, including written in Stephen Malkmus's own handwriting.

Pavement is like 10x more enjoyable when you can look over the album artwork. So many jokes, many of them inside, and it's like a little club you slowly become a member of.

I love how for CRCR it lists the band members and it's like:

S. Malkmus
S. Stairs
S. West

...and then they just list the other two guys as having names beginning with "S" as well.

Another favorite is the back of Wowee Zowee, where a pasta-eating Malkmus is listed as "S.M. Jenkins", and alongside the other members is a black and white photo of some turban-wearing guy called "Fatah Ruark".

Significant news, anybody!

Found out from my supervisor today that Comcast does over 5K in tuition reimbursement per semester as long as you get above a C. AND getting a teaching certificate is "business-related" because I could potentially parlay that into becoming a new hire trainer. Not that I would, but hey. So...maybe I'll hit the federal student aid application again for 2011 and see what they'll give me, combined with the Comcast reimbursement, I might be able to go back to school. Sweet.
:hi5: That's great!

Too bad fall semester already started...

Just gives you more time to decide a plan of action for spring!

From Wiki:

Due to an ink splodge on the back of the original artwork, the song "Silence Kid" has become erroneously known as "Silence Kit". This misnomer persisted when designer Mark Ohe printed it onto the back of the re-issue Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain: LA's Desert Origins, despite the interior artwork showing the correct name in print several times, including written in Stephen Malkmus's own handwriting.

That must piss you off, given your uber-fan status :wink:

I've already poured over the booklet that came with the album (I bought the reissue above), great value for money considering it was like two dollars more expensive than the one-disc.

There's also a book about the band's history called Perfect Sound Forever.

More importantly is the 2-DVD set Slow Century, which features all the music videos (with band commentaries), a documentary about the band, behind-the-scenes footage, and two concerts from the Terror Twilight tour. I can't stress enough how amazing this thing is, and well worth whatever you might pay for it. When this thing came out it was pretty surprising in that indie bands didn't get this kind of attention/media posterity.

One thing listening to Crooked Rain has done, I now like Range Life. Didn't like it when I first heard it on peef's last di list, didn't like it on the best of, but now, maybe because of the context within the album, I enjoy it.

drink_stare.gif

5-4=Unity is a loose cover of a landmark jazz recording. And it's also better than Stairs' shitty contribution.

Dave Brubeck - Take Five - YouTube

It felt a bit all over the shop.

Ha, Wowee Zowee will certainly be an interesting experience for you.

Slience Kid is an amazing opener (arguably Pavement's best, tho I'm partial to We Dance and I know some would point to Summer Babe)

Yeah, put me in the Summer Babe camp. It's what hooked me into listening to Slanted And Enchanted over and over and over, causing it to finally click with me. Such a simple, classic chord progression with excellent imagery and an awesome guitar tone.

This is old, but just found it. And because it's about other artists, I'm putting it here instead of the Tom Waits thread:

Tom Wait's Top 20

Predictably unique list, with some shit I definitely love. I never have nor likely ever will enjoy Trout Mask Replica though. Safe As Milk is excellent and I don't mind Decals, but 80 minutes of Trout Mask Replica is always too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom