Random Music Talk XL: Slappin' Bitches With Vik

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
corianderstem said:
I still like the Indigo Girls.

Why have they aged badly? Has womankind integrated itself such that artists like Indigo Girls aren't relevant anymore?

I tried to teach myself, but couldn't do chords where I had to press down more than one string with one finger. Barre chords, I guess? So I was pretty fucking limited in what I could play.

I think of the songs I had music/chords for, Dancing Barefoot was the only one where I could actually play all the necessary chords. Ha.

I still have a guitar, and keep thinking that one of these days I'll try it again. I hated trying something musical and failing, but I got too frustrated when I realized I couldn't pick it up as quickly as I'd thought I could.

Why have they aged badly? Has womankind integrated itself such that artists like Indigo Girls aren't relevant anymore?

Secure yourself to heaven.
Hold on tight, the night has come.
Fasten up your earthly burdens,
You have just begun.

Indigo Girls, Bono, who can tell the difference.

Entwistle was awesome enough to challenge the "old dudes can't rock" stereotype by dying of a cocaine and hooker overdose at second reunion tour age.

Of course, he uh, died. I said he was awesome, not intelligent.

i looked it up to see exactly when that was, there is no way that was that long ago already. :crack:

I don't know, but if they ever tried to open for Shuttlecock you can be sure Vik would smack them into irrelevancy.

I'm a big fan of Rites of Passage, personally.

Do the Indigo Girls have a hit song or something that I would be familiar with? Just trying to get a point of reference.

I tried to teach myself, but couldn't do chords where I had to press down more than one string with one finger. Barre chords, I guess? So I was pretty fucking limited in what I could play.

I think of the songs I had music/chords for, Dancing Barefoot was the only one where I could actually play all the necessary chords. Ha.

I still have a guitar, and keep thinking that one of these days I'll try it again. I hated trying something musical and failing, but I got too frustrated when I realized I couldn't pick it up as quickly as I'd thought I could.

No way I could teach myself. I had a really great teacher. His big claim to fame was being Billy Joel's guitar player's teacher as well as that of some heartthrob on some soap opera I never heard of. :lol:

I still have my notebook where he wrote on the top of the page in gigantic letters during the first lesson: CUT YOUR NAILS.

Yeah, that one's right up there for me as well.

I have a few of their later CDs as well. Nothing stands out like songs on their earlier records, but I was really pleasantly surprised by them.

Their self-titled album and the two that came after (Nomads, Indians, Saints and Rites of Passage) are all really solid. The second two I named, though, are still much better than the self-titled one.

(I kept saying "debut," but then remembered they had another album before the self-titled one.)

Learning how to play Closer to Fine was the first time I felt like I could play stuff on guitar.
Billy Joel's guitar player may or may not have heard me play that when he showed up early for his lesson. I may or may not have been mortified.

I dunno. I just remember Closer to Fine being such a big thing, back in the day, and it seems to be still pretty well-known.

I remember also hearing Galileo on the radio when it came out, but I don't remember it being as big a deal, for lack of a better phrase. Or that it's still stuck in memory as a song that represents a certain time, like Closer to Fine did.

I might just be projecting. ;)

I went on YouTube and checked out the actual music video for Closer to Fine because I wanted to see what they looked like, and because '80s music videos are funny. Can't say I've ever heard that song before. It wasn't bad at all. I dig the minimalism thing, having only the acoustic guitars and vocals.

Dark haired girl's got a good style. Black leather jacket and blue jeans with big ass holes in them. Whatever happened to that look? The ripped up jeans look? I'm gonna bring it back.

Were you singing it as well?

Oh, hello no. I could never sing and play at the same time. Plus I can't sing. Nor could my teacher. But he and I used to pound that song out together over and over and over. I was a total beginner and frequently cried during lessons. :reject: I'm sure I can't play it anymore, sadly. I had no actual natural talent. I was just a good student and was determined to learn.

Gotta love a band where if you get tired of singing a song, you just switch to the other harmony part. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom