Random Music Talk XL: Slappin' Bitches With Vik

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Walmart sold mp3s?

They had an "exclusive" release of Elevation live at Slane back in the day. I guess I'm still in their database because I got an email today telling me to download whatever tracks I wanted to keep, because they're closing the MP3 store on the 29th.

They actually have an exclusive live-in-studio series called "Soundcheck," but not artists I would typically listen to. The Fray, for example. I think there is a Big Boi joint that might interest certain parties.

u2popmofo said:
Whatever happened to Stereogum? That site sure sucks now.

No joke, but at least yesterday it alerted me to a preorder for a 12" release of one of my favorites of the year, elite gymnastics' Ruin 1 and 2 EP. First 500 get colored wax, first 150 of those get blended colored. Pretty sure I fall into the latter. Bad ass.

The EP is free on their Tumblr if anyone wants to give it a shot.

Gentlemen, may I present Frances Bean Cobain

Frances_14_152-568x425.jpg

:shocked:

There are a LOT more Frances Bean pics in that set:

http://www.hedislimane.com/diary/day.php?m=8&y=2011&d=2

Also, if you told me I had to get rid of all my Smiths albums or all my Morrissey albums, I'd choose the former. Yeah, none of the solo stuff hits the peaks of The Queen is Dead or the best singles, but there's MORE great material. And I'd rank Vauxhall & I not too far below Queen.

El Mel, your (and your other half's) love for Tom Petty is one of the bigger music mysteries on this forum for me. I just dont see what the big deal is.

Actually, I'm a big fan of him lyrically as much as anything else. And really, my biggest adoration comes with his ballads. I'm sure that's not the normal opinion for a Petty fan, but it's just the way I am. That being said, I love the power pop as well, and pretty much just hearing him sing (maybe it's not a good voice, but it's one I've known and loved all of my life) is enough to bring me musical joy. I have well and truly always believed that he is likely one of the most under appreciated artists in all of music. Mostly because the average joe has never listened past the singles that still get airplay today, and that really fucking sucks.

I also love Tom Petty for writing this song:

Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers - Insider ft. Stevie Nicks - YouTube
Bad news, guys. Wal-Mart is killing off their MP3 store.

This made me laugh far more than it should have.

I'm sure the family business owners who've lost their buildings and possessions are taking great comfort from Massive Attack's insight.

Yeah, I uh, am not sure how I feel about this one, but my initial reaction is negative.

She's not still 2?

Seriously, that's one of those people who, until this moment, was perpetually the age in which you most often heard about them in my mind, so that picture kind of took me off guard.

Random random iTunes musings....

Why wasn't this song more popular than it was? As far as radio friendly, catchy-ass pop songs go, this is better than 95% of the crap out there. I'd put it up there with the Smiths classics

Morrissey - First of the gang to die - YouTube

You Are the Quarry is one of the best albums of the 2000s, I think. The song that you posted, along with "Irish Blood, English Heart," are pop gems that retain that characteristic Moz wit and bite. The album was huge in the UK, for what it's worth. The US never really embraced Moz or The Smiths, it seems - at least not to the extent that they have in Europe.

Very good album, but I think I prefer Ringleader of the Tormentors.

And the most recent one, come to think of it.

All three are great. I have a hard time choosing between them, but I usually turn to Moz for the lyrics, and Quarry is the strongest in that regard, I think.

Also, if you told me I had to get rid of all my Smiths albums or all my Morrissey albums, I'd choose the former. Yeah, none of the solo stuff hits the peaks of The Queen is Dead or the best singles, but there's MORE great material. And I'd rank Vauxhall & I not too far below Queen.

I don't know if I would go that far, but I will say that Bona Drag rivals Louder Than Bombs or Hatful of Hollow. Moz's solo career has some great singles.

Was just talking to Nick from Mr. Heavenly/Islands/Unicorns the other day, we share a mutual friend. Really nice guy, very funny. Looking forward to seeing them at Fuck Yeah Fest a.k.a. best one day line-up of the year.

Let's drool over that again, shall we?

fyf-fest-2011.jpg

I think it's def one of the Top 3 or 5 singles he's released, for sure.

The More You Ignore Me... and Alma Matters are also very, very strong. And of course Suedehead & November Spawned a Monster, but I do find the early Moz singles a little dated.

lazarus said:
Was just talking to Nick from Mr. Heavenly/Islands/Unicorns the other day, we share a mutual friend. Really nice guy, very funny. Looking forward to seeing them at Fuck Yeah Fest a.k.a. best one day line-up of the year.

Let's drool over that again, shall we?

It's a terrific lineup, but I can only imagine the amount of frustrating conflicts with all of that crammed into one day. I'd only be able to see 60% of the acts I'm interested in.

It may not be a cool choice, but Everyday Is Like Sunday would be ridiculously high on my personal list.

u2popmofo said:
It may not be a cool choice, but Everyday Is Like Sunday would be ridiculously high on my personal list.

:up: In addition, Viva Hate is one of my favorite Smiths-related albums.

It's a terrific lineup, but I can only imagine the amount of frustrating conflicts with all of that crammed into one day. I'd only be able to see 60% of the acts I'm interested in.

I was thinking the same thing. Knowing how indecisive I can be, I'd hate to have to decide between some of those groups.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom