Random Music Talk XCVII: Now With Hot Man Pics!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
After my CD purge, I got rid of the first handful of Girls Alound CDs, but kept Tangled Up and Out of Control, which are super. (I did order their greatest hits CD so I could still have the songs I liked from the first CDs.)

Untouchable is, as the kids say, my jam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wy7VbQ-S8I

Fuck off for not keeping Chemistry. It's their best album. Some sort of hyper-vibrant concept piece about being a rich, famous, and single 20 something girl living in London.

And yes, "Untouchable" is a god damned masterpiece. A top ten track of theirs, no doubt.

conspiracykeanu-whoa.jpg

I'm really enjoying my first listen to Goats Head Soup. Up to this point, I've only listened to "classic" Stones and tried to avoid their slide into irrelevance, but I figured the mid-70s might yield some interesting returns.

It's a good album. The songwriting is far behind Sticky Fingers and Exile but the sound is there. It's swampy and mysterious, yet still fun. I see they retained their usual producer for this one, so that explains a lot. Winter is very pretty.

Last edited:
It's weird to think that the band that wrote the song "Every Christian Lion Hearted Man Will Show You" also wrote "Stayin' Alive"

I'm really enjoying my first listen to Goats Head Soup. Up to this point, I've only listened to "classic" Stones and tried to avoid their slide into irrelevance, but I figured the mid-70s might yield some interesting returns.

It's a good album. The songwriting is far behind Sticky Fingers and Exile but the sound is there. It's swampy and mysterious, yet still fun. I see they retained their usual producer for this one, so that explains a lot. Winter is very pretty.

It's a really good album. Winter is easily the highlight, but there are some great rockers in the first half, especially Heartbreaker.

So far this is the best hair metal album I've ever heard. For what that's worth. I didn't expect much less. They already sing my two favorite songs in the genre (both of which are present here).

Sheezus is #47 on my list of albums from this year.

(out of 49)

It was in the 40's when I left Utah this morning, 90 in Dallas. A bit too much of a temp change.

For as many millions of copies that INXS' Kick sold, and for all the 10 years that I have been buying and collecting records and frequenting record stores, and thrift/second hand stores, I have never once seen a used copy of INXS' Kick (on vinyl). So it made me wonder if people in 1987 purchased it mainly on cassette and CD. But anyway, I found a copy today and I am sitting here listening to it and god damn this album owns. The vinyl mastering actually sounds really good. (maybe I should have posted this in the vinyl thread)

I can never find 80s albums on vinyl. I saw a documentary last year that might have explained why. I guess the materials used to make vinyl in that decade were the absolute worst, so the records got scratched and ruined very easily. Making sense as to why there wouldn't be as many around ~30 years later.

For me it has been hit and miss with what I consider great 80's albums. For every copy of U2's The Joshua Tree I'd find at a thrift store (somewhat common in the early 2000's when I'd go thrift store searching) there would be about 90 Flock Of Seagulls albums or some other 80's bands albums I just never liked. 90's albums are scarcer, which is understandable, as the 90's saw the decline of vinyl sales. Today I did, however, find a copy of Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds 1992 album "Henry's Dream" on vinyl, original UK pressing. Which was what I consider a score.. But this was at a record store and not a thrift store, so it did cost me.

I lost it when I found Prefab Sprout's Steve McQueen (actually Two Wheels Good) and the Replacements' Let It Be at a pawn shop for like $5.

Finding Medicine Show by the Dream Syndicate for $1 used at Reckless was great too.

The frustrating aspect of the current vinyl revival (if you want to call it that) is the opportunists that try to over price used lps. I see this commonly at antique stores, and even Goodwill now.

Back
Top Bottom