Random Music Talk XCVII: Now With Hot Man Pics!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The three best video games of all time

1. Mario Kart 64
2. Goldeneye 007
3. Super Smash Bros.

Hardly. But when they're the only games you ever played, I see why you would think that.

PC>console.

I've also played Pokemon Snap. That was some good shit.

Pokemon_Snap___Jigglypuff_Trio_by_Pokelova.jpg

I've owned, in chronological order...

Sega Master System
Sega Genesis
N64
GameBoy Pocket
PS2
GameCube
Gameboy Advance SP
Wii
XBox 360
PS3
Nintendo DS Lite
3DS
PS4

N64 and PS3 are my favorites. The DS Lite was a beautiful system but mine broke way too quickly because of a wiring problem.

Last edited:
Man I love J. Tillman.

As Tillman describes the plot of his novel-in-progress, which he says is currently 50,000 words deep, it's clear that being serious isn't a notion that he's taking too, uh, seriously. "It's about this couple named Charles and Agnes Brimley, and Charles is an author writing this book about a herd of post-apocalyptic chihuahuas," Tillman explains, without a hint of humor in his voice. "They go to Salt Lake City, walk by a funeral home, impersonate another couple, and order a '69' casket for themselves—a casket that you can 69 in. While Charles is writing his book, he gets into the casket and realizes that the voice of God is in there, and God’s name is Josh Tillman, and Josh Tillman divulges the secrets of Charles’ universe. I really like how the book is going so far." (His current working titles: Eureka Royale and Operation: Annihilate Pussy.)

Wedded bliss is as much of a throughline in the new material as past misbehavior. "Conventional wisdom is that when it comes to interesting songwriting, love is a dead end," Tillman muses. "For me, though, it ended up being a pretty insurmountable topic without having to resort to clichés. It’s a very funny, very sad, kind of uplifting album about love—there's nothing about isolation because of technology or anything like that." Other thematic material explored on the album takes a more (let's say) specific focus: "There's a song where a dog bites my dick. It's great."

I've owned, in chronological order...

Sega Master System
Sega Genesis
N64
GameBoy Pocket
PS2
GameCube
Gameboy Advance SP
Wii
XBox 360
PS3
Nintendo DS Lite
3DS
PS4

N64 and PS3 are my favorites. The DS Lite was a beautiful system but mine broke way too quickly because of a wiring problem.

I've been a Sega loyalist from the beginning (and their arcade games were always my favorite), so I never owned any Nintendo product until the Wii, when Sega was basically done.

Atari 2600
Sega Master System
Sega Genesis (plus Sega CD add-on)
Dreamcast

Never got the Saturn.

I never personally owned a Dreamcast (I'll throw some money down on an eBay lot at some point), but that system had a powerful batch of games. Really a shame that it never stuck. And the Genesis was my first system, so I'll always love Sega.

Weird that I never owned an SNES, but the GameBoy Advance was basically a portable version.

I think the greatest moment any gamer can experience is when Magikarp hits level 20.

:crack:

You've never killed a wrath-era resto Druid and them watched the rest of their team melt without heals.

I've never played a minute of Pokemon. I can't think of many other games I have less a desire to play (GTA, perhaps). If I hadn't been over the age of 13 when it was a big deal, maybe it would be another story. But I doubt it, Pokemon has always seemed really lame to me.

Pokemon pinball, however...but that's just pinball that happened to have Pokemon (stole it from my brother when I stole his gameboy color after he broke my original generation gameboy).

Don't we have a video game thread?

Pokémon games are still good. That's a formula they've been beating into the ground for 15 years and it still works.

i remember getting a genesis for christmas that year (i asked for it) but then having...gifter's remorse i guess? i ended up asking my mom to return it for something else. ugh. i still have my nintendo consoles though (nes, gamecube, and wii - handhelds i had gameboy, gba, ds, dslite).

i swear, half my friends in real life play pokemon. i've never played it before in my life. i stopped playing video games by the time it came out, aside from the occasional n64 session at my best friend's house. but i was always about super mario.

Fwiw I loved Mario kart and the Aladdin game for snes when I was 10.

I haven't done one of these posts in a very long time. But I'll just put this here, see if anyone has had similar experiences.

So I have a friend. She is a girl. We've known each other since December 2011, and since then have been very close friends (yes, I did have feelings for her and they were not reciprocated but the friendship was also really great). Last year, she met a bloke. She had had several boyfriends in the time that I'd known her, and each of them eventually fell to the wayside. But she really clicked with this guy, and they now live together and she used the phrase "future brother in law" when we caught up tonight, so she sees them getting married. He's a great bloke too, treats her very well, cool guy.

Thing is, ever since she got deep into this relationship, she has gotten very comfortable, I guess. I know this is what happens in relationships. But prior to meeting this bloke, she was always super fun, always keen to hang out and do shit, very funny, very lively, always down for doing things, and this continued for a couple of months into their relationship.

As I said we were really close, we partied together, talked, ate, whatever, whether just the two of us or in a group (and I long ago realised nothing would ever happen romantically and resigned myself to that fact). But in the past few months she has fallen into what I've dubbed 'couples coma'. Where I used to see her maybe once or twice a week, I'm now lucky to see her once a month. We don't text as much as we used to. I totally understand that she's in a committed relationship, so it's very natural that these things would drop off, but I feel like they've dropped off too much. I'm happy that she's very happy, but whenever we catch up I end talking most of the time because when I ask her what she's been up to it's either work or "we bought new curtains!!" And I don't give a fuck about curtains. I can't imagine a time I will ever give a fuck about curtains. We used to have great conversations, but I really don't want to talk about curtains.

I always invite her and her boyfriend to things, like house dinners, or trivia on a Wednesday, but they never come. She said to me tonight "we get really tired about 7 and just go to bed". Am I being a bit of an asshole/bad friend? Sometimes I think so but I'm bummed out that I've sort of lost someone I used to have so much fun with. I understand that it won't be the way it was because she's deeply in love and everything but hell, even my housemates who have been together for six years and are 23 going on 95 manage to come to trivia pretty much every week.

She's obviously deeply involved with the new beau, and that's taking her time, plus he's male, he can't be be too keen on his live in girlfriend saying, "I'm going to hang out with my male friend" regardless of how sure he was that it was 100% platonic.
You'll find as time goes on and friends(of both genders) get committed and then ultimately married that they just won't be able to hang out that often.(And forget about it when children enter the equation) You'll have to just make the best of what little time she can commit to you at this point, at least until she breaks up with this guy and realizes all along you were the one.

Basically, you're never going to hang out with her again til you're both married and you can force your kids to play together. And then, it's going to be mostly talk about curtains (or which kid pulled down the curtains).

I haven't done one of these posts in a very long time. But I'll just put this here, see if anyone has had similar experiences.

So I have a friend. She is a girl. We've known each other since December 2011, and since then have been very close friends (yes, I did have feelings for her and they were not reciprocated but the friendship was also really great). Last year, she met a bloke. She had had several boyfriends in the time that I'd known her, and each of them eventually fell to the wayside. But she really clicked with this guy, and they now live together and she used the phrase "future brother in law" when we caught up tonight, so she sees them getting married. He's a great bloke too, treats her very well, cool guy.

Thing is, ever since she got deep into this relationship, she has gotten very comfortable, I guess. I know this is what happens in relationships. But prior to meeting this bloke, she was always super fun, always keen to hang out and do shit, very funny, very lively, always down for doing things, and this continued for a couple of months into their relationship.

As I said we were really close, we partied together, talked, ate, whatever, whether just the two of us or in a group (and I long ago realised nothing would ever happen romantically and resigned myself to that fact). But in the past few months she has fallen into what I've dubbed 'couples coma'. Where I used to see her maybe once or twice a week, I'm now lucky to see her once a month. We don't text as much as we used to. I totally understand that she's in a committed relationship, so it's very natural that these things would drop off, but I feel like they've dropped off too much. I'm happy that she's very happy, but whenever we catch up I end talking most of the time because when I ask her what she's been up to it's either work or "we bought new curtains!!" And I don't give a fuck about curtains. I can't imagine a time I will ever give a fuck about curtains. We used to have great conversations, but I really don't want to talk about curtains.

I always invite her and her boyfriend to things, like house dinners, or trivia on a Wednesday, but they never come. She said to me tonight "we get really tired about 7 and just go to bed". Am I being a bit of an asshole/bad friend? Sometimes I think so but I'm bummed out that I've sort of lost someone I used to have so much fun with. I understand that it won't be the way it was because she's deeply in love and everything but hell, even my housemates who have been together for six years and are 23 going on 95 manage to come to trivia pretty much every week.

You're not a bad friend. Couples are just lame, for the most part.

Party on, Garth.

agreed, just wait till the kids come along Cobbler, you'll never have another normal conversation again. If I were you, I would start cutting ties now to avoid all the crap they might start inviting you to down the line, weddings, christenings, birthdays... that shit adds up fast.

Back
Top Bottom