Random Music Talk XCVII: Now With Hot Man Pics!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oddly enough, it's hard for me to put Def Leppard in with those hair metal groups. For one, they started in 1980, well before most of the others. They actually used to pal around with Iron Maiden back in the day. And it should be noted that they had several huge, crossover hits (Photograph, Foolin', Rock Of Ages) before hair metal even came onto the scene.
We agree here. I was going to post the exact same sentiment. I don't consider Def Leppard really a part of that movement. Same with bands like The Scorpions who were around long before the whole 80's LA pop metal scene (I think the term hair band is ridiculous...like these bands were the first with long hair) and are superior talents, yet they get lumped in with the genre.

I find Swans really interesting, and I mean that. Obviously it's not my music at all (I remember listening to the first couple of minutes of the opening track to The Seer and just thinking my personal idea of hell would probably be sitting through that record), but I've read more about Swans than I have a lot of bands I actually like. It's similar to my thoughts on horror films... I would never watch one (aside from Shrooms, which was pathetic) because I just don't enjoy that sort of thing and never will, but for some reason I really enjoy reading blurbs of horror films, reading reviews, going over the inspiration, etc. There's something about that really dark, depraved side of life that I find immensely interesting, even if I will never enjoy the actual products themselves.

What I took from this post:

Someone else has seen Shrooms?! :happy:

*shudders*

grid-cell-30640-1399484771-15.jpg
grid-cell-30640-1399484773-18.jpg

cmt-medium2.gif

No kidding, 147million youtube views. Not a bad chorus. Is that why it got so few votes? I thought there were a few worse songs than France's. There were three or four that were really boring love ballads.

Arctic Monkeys are touring here at the moment. I didn't go, as I wasn't big on AM and knew they would play bugger-all from Suck it and See. I seem to be very odd... my six favourite Monkeys songs are the last five on Suck it and See and Hellcat Spangled Shalalala. Someone here told me what I should check out next, but I can't remember if it was Humbug or Last Shadow Puppets.

How good is Piledriver Waltz by the way? :drool:

You look like you've been for breakfast at the Heartbreak Hotel
And sat in the back booth by the pamphlets and literature on how to lose
Your waitress was miserable, and so was your food
If you're gonna try and walk on water make sure you wear your comfortable shoes

It wasn't me, but if you like SIAS, I'd recommend Last Shadow Puppets (Alex Turner's side project with Miles Kane) next. Humbug is awesome though, and may be their best album, it's very different from both of those, a little heavier.

Someone here told me what I should check out next, but I can't remember if it was Humbug or Last Shadow Puppets.

I've told you probably three separate times. And the most recent time you asked, in the Arctic Monkeys thread, I gave a thoughtful and extensive response. Go fuck yourself.

Happenstance can wait for tomorrow cos you got to do it right
Your shoulders flow from neck like a wine bottle, bear them broad tonight
You and I, we consecrate, my heart and all resolve might break
You'll know us by the way we crawl, you'll know us by out cemetery gaits

Just finished James Fearnley's (aka the accordion player from the Pogues) memoir about the band. Very good, but my prevailing question is as follows:

How the fuck is Shane MacGowan still alive?

I can't believe they kept him around as long as they did.

:thumbup:

I'm pretty sure No Blues is getting to be my favorite Los Camp album. A fantastic bounce back after Hello Sadness, which was much weaker.

I'd put We Are Beautiful at the top, with Romance Is Boring a close second. There's hardly a bum note on either of those.

Best lyricist since Malkmus.

Just finished James Fearnley's (aka the accordion player from the Pogues) memoir about the band. Very good, but my prevailing question is as follows:

How the fuck is Shane MacGowan still alive?

I can't believe they kept him around as long as they did.

I may have to check that out.

I'm pretty sure Shane died 30 years ago, they embalmed him, and propped him up on stage with puppet strings.

I got dragged along to see Exorcism of Emily Rose when I was about 15. After about ten minutes (nothing scary had happened) I made my mate walk out and we went to see 40-Year Old Virgin instead. That's as far as I've gotten.

I used to hate the genre until I married Ashley, who is a big fan. There are a healthy number of legitimately brilliant horror films that will give you new appreciation for the medium, as well as a swath of garbage. Like every genre of anything ever.

If I had to pick three for Cobbs: Psycho, The Shining (what a shock), and The Thing. Great balance of entertainment and filmmaking talent among these.

^ cobbler will fuck it up and check out THE THING from 2011 instead of the Carpenter classic.

I fucking love horror movies, as I've talked about here many times.

I actually really liked Shrooms. I was disappointed, because I rented it thinking it was going to be a so-bad-its-good flick. Instead, I found it to be fairly competent and genuinely intriguing in its twist.

Best lyricist since Malkmus.

I still remember the first time I got into Los Campesinos, it was Romance is Boring, and I was so amazed by that final verse in "In Medias Res", and I still am. He's brilliant. The only lyricist with emo tendencies that I actually enjoy.

If you were given the option of dying painlessly in peace at forty-five
But with a lover at your side
After a full and happy life
Is this something that would interest you?
Would this interest you at all?

I used to hate the genre until I married Ashley, who is a big fan. There are a healthy number of legitimately brilliant horror films that will give you new appreciation for the medium, as well as a swath of garbage. Like every genre of anything ever.

If I had to pick three for Cobbs: Psycho, The Shining (what a shock), and The Thing. Great balance of entertainment and filmmaking talent among these.

I don't enjoy being scared. I think I could probably watch Psycho and The Shining, because aren't both "thrillers" as much as they are "horror"? I could see myself enjoying those and appreciating the medium, but movies that are just gonna scare the shit out of me (and this goes for gory shit as well like Saw, I could never watch those movies) I just do not ever want to see. I'd rather laugh.

I actually really liked Shrooms. I was disappointed, because I rented it thinking it was going to be a so-bad-its-good flick. Instead, I found it to be fairly competent and genuinely intriguing in its twist.

We all laughed at it. Well-worn trope: bunch of horny, overconfident, hedonistic twentysomethings go bush to take hallucinogens, turns out they took the bad ones, main character is horrified that everyone is dying, oh but wait, he's the murderer! That's was my take. I'd say this is a typical Cobbler-type post about a movie I didn't like, but it's got 4.7 on idmb and 24% on rotten tomatoes.

Back
Top Bottom