Random Music Talk XCVII: Now With Hot Man Pics!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Once. It didn't hold my attention the way The Seer or their earlier records did but the bitrate was substandard at the time. I'll give it a re-listen and see how it goes.

Yeah. I still haven't decided if I like this or not.

Fun fact, there was an urban legend that U2 had CC Deville play on Mysterious Ways because The Edge could never play guitar that good.

Sent from my AT300 using U2 Interference mobile app

Interesting....I'd like to maybe hear something from a third party, at this point. I have a feeling this is one of those situations where what really happened is somewhere in the middle.

Interesting....I'd like to maybe hear something from a third party, at this point. I have a feeling this is one of those situations where what really happened is somewhere in the middle.

Yeah, same. He doesn't sound super contrite re the Native American stuff outside of your stock standard 'sorry if we offended anyone...' but he really seems adamant that Kliph is not as he seems. Drozd tweeted that it was blown really out of proportion.

On the other hand, it would be pretty cool if Clive Deamer joined them. Not that it will be the same but I was fucking captivated watching him and Phil Selway on the KoL tour. (Also I had no idea he was in Portishead.)

It read to me like he wasn't apologizing because he didn't feel that he did anything wrong, because he agreed with Kliph that it wasn't cool.

It also read to me like he wasn't suggesting they have Clive Dearner join the band, but someone LIKE him.

Wayne pretty much sounded like a jerk in that interview. And sounds like he has a boner for Christina Fallin.

Sent from my AT300 using U2 Interference mobile app

Kliph was an asshole when he posted on the Flaming Lips board. I was glad that he gave us his time, but he was an asshole. I can picture him acting that way on twitter, but I've never followed him. Meh. I wish Wayne hadn't said anything. Just adding more fuel to the fire.

My favorite part of that interview was Wayne being asked about his hatred of Beck and not denying it at all. I've always found that feud extremely amusing.

Last edited:
My theory regarding hair bands has always been that besides disco, it's the only genre of music where literally the only people who like it were around when it was popular/current. That it's impossible to get otherwise. 212er is killing my theory, or at least establishing herself as an outlier in the data.

I'm not sure what's worse: disco, hair metal, or dubstep. They may be three of the worst kinds of music ever created.

Sometimes you forgot part of a question though, and the interview just rolls on. Maybe he forget to clear the air about Beck. Or maybe I'm just a sycophant and he does hate him. The thing I found interesting about it was Arcade Fire asking Beck's crew to clear their shit away. Beck covered Rebellion at Coachella and then Arcade Fire brought him out for an extremely awkward cover of Controversy. It was obvious Beck hadn't even been informed, he was just given a giant bubble head, and he didn't know any of the lyrics, he just sort of stood there stony-faced and occasionally yelled 'con-tro-ver-see' into the mic.

My theory regarding hair bands has always been that besides disco, it's the only genre of music where literally the only people who like it were around when it was popular/current. 212er is killing my theory, or at least establishing herself as an outlier in the data.

I'm not sure what's worse: disco, hair metal, or dubstep. They may be three of the worst kinds of music ever created.

Country, dubstep and death metal for mine. I cannot listen to them, I start getting angry. (But I will say I can respect the craft of some metal, before Axver comes in and shoots me down, even if I don't like it.)

My theory regarding hair bands has always been that besides disco, it's the only genre of music where literally the only people who like it were around when it was popular/current. That it's impossible to get otherwise. 212er is killing my theory, or at least establishing herself as an outlier in the data.

All it's doing is proving that I was born in the wrong decade.

I will go to bat for country as a viable, high quality genre any day. But like many genres, a lot of it sucks.

Death metal I don't care for in general, though pockets of it are fine.

Dubstep is shit.

So Boy & Bear are a band I've never liked. They're one of the myriad Australian bands that all write the same dull, folksy, at-times poppy garbage that myself, Vlad, Kieran, Ax and Bonnie have been complaining about for years.

But I do really like this song. When I first heard it on the "rock" radio station I actually thought it might have been a song from the 70s. They really nail the 70s classic rock sound (?? LM will let me know if I am wrong to call it that) on this song. The riff is awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3q_SchLR0I

The thing that tipped me off that it probably wasn't an old tune is that the vocals are weak as fuck, but that goes without saying with all these JJJ-approved bands.

Did any hair metal band actually top the classic two-album run of Pyromania and Hysteria? I don't think so.

Oddly enough, it's hard for me to put Def Leppard in with those hair metal groups. For one, they started in 1980, well before most of the others. They actually used to pal around with Iron Maiden back in the day. And it should be noted that they had several huge, crossover hits (Photograph, Foolin', Rock Of Ages) before hair metal even came onto the scene.

Their sound is considerably different than Warrant, Bon Jovi, Skid Row, etc. There's a lot more polish, the high-pitched harmony of the backing vocals, a more brazen use of keyboards and heavily-processed vocals/instruments. Particularly on Hysteria, which came out in the midst of that genre's invasion but doesn't fit into that mold sonically.

Granted, it's still cheesy and very dated, but at least they sound unique compared to their contemporaries. Pour Some Sugar On Me and Armageddon are light years away, and you can hear the "Mutt" Lange influence in how danceable these songs were.

So a big fuck you to whoever is running this site because it was down the entire time Eurovision was on, so all my stupid drunk thoughts ended up on Twitter instead. I always get sucked in by Eurovision, I'm a person who derives a lot of joy from hating on things.

Austria's bearded lady was the winner, with a predictably shit song. Malta was by far the worst of the night...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_hT08vzHt8

But there were two I actually kind of enjoyed. First was Iceland doing the Wiggles on coke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2qAvGsiCmc

And then there was Poland. Aside from the obvious, I actually really enjoyed the song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ920cN2HmA

And France came last. I do wonder if the black dude had a say in the facepaint.

Eurovision-2014.jpg
I actually enjoyed it this year as well. I liked Holland and Hungary most. The winning song reminded me of Skyfall a bit. It was ok. It wouldn't have won without the beard I think.

Belgium, as always, didn't get past the semi-final. We even had a big show with so-called music experts choosing our candidate this year. Since the introduction of those semi-finals, I think we only made it three times. We're pretty awful at Eurovision.

That French song is a huge rip-off of Papaoutai by Stromae by the way, which is actually a good song (and it was a big hit in France).

Sent from my GT-I9070 using U2 Interference mobile app

No kidding, 147million youtube views. Not a bad chorus. Is that why it got so few votes? I thought there were a few worse songs than France's. There were three or four that were really boring love ballads.

Arctic Monkeys are touring here at the moment. I didn't go, as I wasn't big on AM and knew they would play bugger-all from Suck it and See. I seem to be very odd... my six favourite Monkeys songs are the last five on Suck it and See and Hellcat Spangled Shalalala. Someone here told me what I should check out next, but I can't remember if it was Humbug or Last Shadow Puppets.

How good is Piledriver Waltz by the way? :drool:

You look like you've been for breakfast at the Heartbreak Hotel
And sat in the back booth by the pamphlets and literature on how to lose
Your waitress was miserable, and so was your food
If you're gonna try and walk on water make sure you wear your comfortable shoes

I find Swans really interesting, and I mean that. Obviously it's not my music at all (I remember listening to the first couple of minutes of the opening track to The Seer and just thinking my personal idea of hell would probably be sitting through that record), but I've read more about Swans than I have a lot of bands I actually like. It's similar to my thoughts on horror films... I would never watch one (aside from Shrooms, which was pathetic) because I just don't enjoy that sort of thing and never will, but for some reason I really enjoy reading blurbs of horror films, reading reviews, going over the inspiration, etc. There's something about that really dark, depraved side of life that I find immensely interesting, even if I will never enjoy the actual products themselves.

I used to listen to Swans a fair bit, and while they're not really my thing at all now, I'm glad they're still out there kicking arse.

The only song I remember now from Eurovision was the Swiss one, they were pretty cute, too.

Back
Top Bottom