Random Music Talk XCV: Laz Is The Larry Bird Of Being A Son Of A Bitch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i had to google what parfait was, but was lazy and only looked at the picture. ice cream sundae?

Not necessarily ice cream, often like pudding or mousse and whipped cream type layers. KFC used to have parfaits as their dessert item, not sure if they still do.

Also: for those who have been to Coachella before... I don't have a camping pass but some research has suggested that if I find some people to crash with I can just camp without a pass anyway. Is this true? Do they really enforce that? Are the camping grounds and the stages connected or do you have to leave the music area and then go into the camping grounds, where there would be staff waiting to check if you have a camping pass? I'd much rather camp... and since I've got no accom in Indio I reckon I'd struggle.

Yes, you just need a wristband to enter into the camping area if you don't have a car. If you have a car, that's where you'd need a camping pass.

The camping area is adjacent to the festival. You have to go through security to get into the festival, but you can walk back and forth all day. I've never actually camped at Coachella, so I don't know all the ins and outs of it, but from what I hear people there are pretty nice and you should be able to crash somewhere. The bigger issue is getting from LA to Indio as it's 2+ hours away driving. Looks like Coachella is running a shuttle, but I don't know the timing.

As for flights, it's expensive to fly across the country, LA to NYC would run you between 400 and 600 US and that's if you book in advance.

As for flights, it's expensive to fly across the country, LA to NYC would run you between 400 and 600 US and that's if you book in advance.
I think it's only that expensive if it's round trip. As I recall, Cobbler's trip is hitting several different cities so it wouldn't be that expensive.

I bought roundtrip tickets from Philadelphia to Austin a couple months ago and it cost $400 total. And that was pretty last minute (maybe three days before I left). A one-way trip between LA and New York (in either direction) bought in advance is probably not as expensive as $400.

Captain Kirk and his daughter Penny BigBang should be able to get Cobbler flights for basically nothing, I saw it on a commercial.

Could you fly out here and put my music on an external hard drive? I still haven't done that yet. :reject:

well, I could use a nice trip out to Cali after we got 6 inches of snow dumped on us last night...

if you're still running a recent mac, it might be worth it to just plug in the drive, turn on time machine in system preferences, and let it backup the whole machine. it'll take hours upon hours to do the initial backup, but it's worth it.

as for the airfare discussion, low cost airlines are probably a good bet to look into as well...airtran, frontier, spirit (if you're feeling especially adventurous lol). most of those will be significantly cheaper than regular airlines, even if they're using ala carte pricing like spirit is.

well, I could use a nice trip out to Cali after we got 6 inches of snow dumped on us last night...

if you're still running a recent mac, it might be worth it to just plug in the drive, turn on time machine in system preferences, and let it backup the whole machine. it'll take hours upon hours to do the initial backup, but it's worth it.

I have a hard drive hooked up for Time Machine, it's just that my dear old mac is full, and I need to move my music so I can put both more music in it and more photos.

I have a hard drive hooked up for Time Machine, it's just that my dear old mac is full, and I need to move my music so I can put both more music in it and more photos.

ah, got it. yeah, that's a bit more of a manual process then, but just in terms of grabbing the music folder and dropping it on the external drive. unless you're looking to move specific artists/albums off the mac, in which case, it's super manual and time-consuming because you have to dig through the music folder. I'm very glad to hear you're using time machine already though! getting people I've worked with to backup their data regularly is about 70% of the battle.

Got about halfway through the new Hold Steady album before switching it off. Just wasn't in the mood and it feels like these guys have written every song on it before, although better.

I'll try again later.

Two of my most highly anticipated albums of the year right now are the Jack White and Julian Casablancas albums, and as I think this I realize that I might be stuck in 2002.

Got about halfway through the new Hold Steady album before switching it off. Just wasn't in the mood and it feels like these guys have written every song on it before, although better.

I'll try again later.

The first 4 or 5 tracks were great and then it kinda trails off to being mediocre, but I need to spend more time with it.

What exactly does this consist of? I'm picturing something akin to popcorn shrimp.

12984_l.jpg

Delicious.

Yes, you just need a wristband to enter into the camping area if you don't have a car. If you have a car, that's where you'd need a camping pass.

The camping area is adjacent to the festival. You have to go through security to get into the festival, but you can walk back and forth all day. I've never actually camped at Coachella, so I don't know all the ins and outs of it, but from what I hear people there are pretty nice and you should be able to crash somewhere. The bigger issue is getting from LA to Indio as it's 2+ hours away driving. Looks like Coachella is running a shuttle, but I don't know the timing.

Ahh awesome! It's actually worked out amazingly well - a friend of a friend is camping with a crew of 30 on the second weekend so I'm gonna stay with them, I was just hoping you could camp without a camping pass. I'm sure I'll be able to get some sort of shuttle in. I'll figure it out.

I think it's only that expensive if it's round trip. As I recall, Cobbler's trip is hitting several different cities so it wouldn't be that expensive.

I bought roundtrip tickets from Philadelphia to Austin a couple months ago and it cost $400 total. And that was pretty last minute (maybe three days before I left). A one-way trip between LA and New York (in either direction) bought in advance is probably not as expensive as $400.

Sweet thanks :up:

Cobbler, when do you need to be in Coachella?

The 17th. I check out of the hostel that morning and then just need to find me a shuttle bus to Indio.

I had thought I could haul you out there, since I'm heading to the desert anyway, but it would be on the 13th, which would give you three full days to kill in a very slow part of California.

Thanks kindly, I would have to decline anyway, far too much to ask.

Did you book one of the Hollywood places?

Trying with that first one, the site is being very temperamental. It keeps not accepting my debit mastercard and then says the site's offline for maintenance when I try to refresh. I'll get there.

Thanks for the replies and stuff people. Never travelled alone before so this is all pretty new to me, and it's been a great help :) Those who I meet along the way I will reward lavishly with alcohol and entertainment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom