Random Music Talk XCIX - Hating on Mediocre Australian Bands with Keiran and the Gang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lest anyone think I'm purely Mr Negative on music, though I am harshly unimpressed with most of the Australian scene, I will say that I like quite a lot what I've heard of Eddie Current Suppression Ring, Dick Diver (despite the awful name) and most particularly, and surprisingly, the 'supergroup' composed of members of each that has just put out some new stuff. Very moody, very driving, very good.

I haven't listened to enough Chet Faker or Flume to have an opinion. Pitchfork gave Flume's debut a 7. The songs I have heard are pretty okay. Chet Faker I give a pass mark simply because he drummed for Bonobo when they toured here in Dec/Jan. So he had to learn 90+ minutes of Bonobo's material. And he sang on First Fires as well. So he's one very talented dude.

Lest anyone think I'm purely Mr Negative on music, though I am harshly unimpressed with most of the Australian scene, I will say that I like quite a lot what I've heard of Eddie Current Suppression Ring, Dick Diver (despite the awful name) and most particularly, and surprisingly, the 'supergroup' composed of members of each that has just put out some new stuff. Very moody, very driving, very good.

Now I seem like the grumpy one - both Eddy Current and Dick Diver are entirely bland.

Well, I will say on a positive note that Australia has one of the best post-rock scenes on the planet. Hard to go past Sleepmakeswaves, Laura, or Meniscus.

Hey, friggin' Cobbler, great work spelling Kieran's name wrong in the thread title.

For that you win a pack of 360's albums! But you'll still have to pony up $1,000 if you want a selfie with him. Party party!

360 is such a nice young boy, he has all those macho bullshit rap songs but then there's his one 'heartfelt' tribute song to his dad or whatever.

I bet he scrubs up real nice for the ladies.

He's also the self-appointed king of suicide prevention. He has saved more lives through his heartfelt songs and heartfelt videos and heartfelt social media posts than lifeline and beyond blue put together.

Dammit, I'm not well-versed in titling threads, but I'm sure I could do a better job than cobbler. But I forgot my phone at home last night.

I'm pretending it's 15 years ago and listening to everclear. As utterly mediocre to awful as they were, the nostalgia factor is inordinately strong with this band. So Much for the Afterglow would be like my #1 all time guilty pleasure album, if I felt guilty at all about it. Truth is, I don't. If I were a real music snob, had half a brain, etc. I probably would be. Nope.

So how many thread titles and polls did you NOT manage to fuck up, Cobbler? Probably equal to the number of your aforementioned testicles?

I saw a really good Australian band tonight, Something for Kate. It was a rehearsal for their 20th anniversary tour, which kicks off on Friday. I skipped out on tickets for that cos they were like $80, but tonight's gig was $25. Was the heaviest set I've seen them play. The drummer must lose about five kilos a night, he's fucking nuts. Broke at least 15 drumsticks.

I'd forgotten how good this song was. The riff that comes in after the verses is one of my favourite things ever, so cathartic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upM0y6OPC84&feature=kp

Back
Top Bottom