Random Music Talk XCIX - Hating on Mediocre Australian Bands with Keiran and the Gang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Disclosure's "Latch" is blowing up right now on Chicago radio. Must be something about Sam Smith's album having come out recently, but I really wish they would stop referring to a year-old song as "new."

"Help Me Lose My Mind" takes that distinction for me, but there's no doubt "Latch" still slays.

White Noise would be a classic if it weren't for the vocals. AlunaGeorge doesn't sound human.

I am late to the Disclosure party. I like it, but don't love it. Need some more listens with it. I also like Rudimental, which is kind of similar (British dancey stuff with guest vocalists.)

I also just got the latest from the Kaiser Chiefs and the Strypes. Like both, but really like The Strypes.

I've noticed (and caveat, no I shouldn't care, and no, I don't especially) that whenever an article appears on The Guardian relating to or featuring Nick Cave, the comments section is wall-to-wall negative. Like 100%, no exceptions. I get that the guy probably divides opinion but I would have thought his status as a major talent was more or less common wisdom.

I can't pick a favourite song from Settle. I love every single one. Apollo is such a hot track as well.

In that you're a black beatle.

I expected better from you.

Sent from my GT-I9070 using U2 Interference mobile app

It's a Kanye lyric, it doesn't get better.

I saw a really good Australian band tonight, Something for Kate. It was a rehearsal for their 20th anniversary tour, which kicks off on Friday. I skipped out on tickets for that cos they were like $80, but tonight's gig was $25. Was the heaviest set I've seen them play. The drummer must lose about five kilos a night, he's fucking nuts. Broke at least 15 drumsticks.

I'd forgotten how good this song was. The riff that comes in after the verses is one of my favourite things ever, so cathartic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upM0y6OPC84&feature=kp

Since you're always pimping these guys, I thought I'd give them a shot.

The video isn't available in my country.

The hell...

'Murica!

Death Grips have split up.

Their lone fan must be crying his eyes out right now.

The-Needle-Drop-600.jpg

I've noticed (and caveat, no I shouldn't care, and no, I don't especially) that whenever an article appears on The Guardian relating to or featuring Nick Cave, the comments section is wall-to-wall negative. Like 100%, no exceptions. I get that the guy probably divides opinion but I would have thought his status as a major talent was more or less common wisdom.

One thing I've taken from the Guardian comments sections is that no matter how acclaimed/respected the artist might be, at least half of the comments will be slagging off said artist. The general rule is that the vast majority of comments sections on music shouldn't be taken seriously.

You still haven't made them change their name. I thought we had a deal.

It's funny you mention that, even the band admits it's a crap name. They played under the pseudonym 'Max Planck and the Survival Experts' last night and Paul Dempsey (frontman) was like "it's one of the many stupid names we've come up for this band. Wish it was our real name. Instead we're stuck with Something for Kate."

At least Something for Kate was an odd enough name to not need changing. How lame is it when some band starts up and then after one hit record finds out there's a doom-metal outfit in Swaziland with the same name.

I'll listen to Something for Kate when they cover the Bouncing Souls' "Kate is Great." But until then, I will continue not to know what they sound like.

Pink Moon is over way, way too soon. I guess that's part of its charm. Just listened to it and feel like starting it over right now.

Back
Top Bottom