Random Music Talk XCIII: IN-VIII-SI-COCK!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OK so people have mentioned how Adam and others talked about this album looking back at their early days and today, and we've already heard the sounds of some of their early idols/themselves surface in Invisible. Anyone else a bit concerned they could be setting up this album to be their Collapse Into Now?

New album, new tour, new live concert films, new trilogy shows, etc.

As much crap as U2 gets here for delaying things, at least they don't wait 6 years to release an album they recorded at the same time as their last one, and don't release it as a sequel to their least popular album ever.

At least we get to resurrect Random Cure Talk. Martha's favorite.

tumblr_m1b1guiMjV1qh0pz4o1_400.gif

Robert Smith to fans:

I don't care if you all hated the last album, here's more material recorded 6 years ago in the same sessions. Suck my balls. See you on tour this summer where we'll only play 2 or 3 songs from the new album, because even I think it sucks. I look forward to getting your money.

Yours cruelly,
RS

It's funny listening to Ordinary Love and Invisible next to each other. Invisible just blows it away and I say that as someone who actually likes Ordinary Love.

Agreed. I played it a few times in my car this morning, and it sounded all great and shit turned up loud.

Among the people I follow on Twitter and Facebook, even those who I know are not big U2 fans have mentioned how they downloaded Invisible, thought it was a good song, and applauded the charity angle. No real complaints about the Bank of America association that I could see, which I found surprising.

the only bad reaction to it I saw was on one of the "rate the commercials" articles (I think it was on bleacherreport.com) and it gave the ad an F, basically because of the U2 + corporate partnership.

But it kind of seemed like they missed the whole boat on the main point of the ad, so nuts to them.

It's a good song. I love the intro, but I hate the ending. I don't know if it's because of the edit or not, but the song just peters out at the end and seems unfinished to me.

Yeah it's hard to judge completely at this point due to the edit but I'm still bothered that the energy drops back down after the first chorus. They really should have kept hitting that button hard. Also, I really hope there's a third chorus in the full version because that melody and guitar are infectious.

I'm not sure if it's partially because of how personal this song is, calling back to teenage rebellion and Bono's sparring with his father, but this song is giving me the chills more than anything else I've heard post-Pop, with the exception of Mercy. I can't stop listening and yet even more irritated about the status of the album.

Haaaaaaa!

I normally don't pay that close of attention to lyrics, but in the context of this being about his relationship with his dad, I think it works really well and is even rather moving.

Damn app, can't find The Cure thread, so I guess I'll join in with the Random cure talk to say...
:panic:

There are worse trilogies they could be touring in their discography than The Top, Head on the Door and Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me, but that's...a dropoff, to say the least. Probably not doing them here anyway.

If this were a video game, Robert Smith would be tea-bagging his fans' corpses right now.

It's a lame request, but Push live would be a massive win, to me. They play it all the time, but not when I saw them.

US will probably get the Japanese Whispers/Greatest Hits/Galore trilogy.

Last edited:
If this were a video game, Robert Smith would be tea-bagging his fans' corpses right now.

Man, I just don't care. I became a fan well after 4.13 Dream, so I've never experienced a new album from them, and certainly not a tour. Besides the 2 hours at Lolla, I was beginning to believe I'd never see them live.

Basically, I'm dying of happiness right now.

Haaaaaaa!

I normally don't pay that close of attention to lyrics, but in the context of this being about his relationship with his dad, I think it works really well and is even rather moving.

What's important about the lyric is that it isn't just a remembrance of his father along the lines of SYCMIOYO, which already addressed their arguments. More importantly, it's about Bono's self-actualization and his determination to make himself seen (literally with that title refrain), make himself heard, make his mark.

In essence, this is the genesis of the band's raison d'être or ethos or some other, less fancy term. And perhaps that's why this is so major to my ears. There's no reason thIs can't resonate with younger listeners, if it gets radio play alongside the current rock acts.

What's important about the lyric is that it isn't just a remembrance of his father along the lines of SYCMIOYO, which already addressed their arguments. More importantly, it's about Bono's self-actualization and his determination to make himself seen (literally with that title refrain), make himself heard, make his mark.

Abso-fucking-lutely.

Very well-stated.

In essence, this is the genesis of the band's raison d'être or ethos or some other, less fancy term. And perhaps that's why this is so major to my ears. There's no reason thIs can't resonate with younger listeners, if it gets radio play alongside the current rock acts.

:hi5:

Back
Top Bottom