Random Music Talk XCIII: IN-VIII-SI-COCK!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The live remix and the album version are practically two different songs.

One is a lot of fun but so close to Discotheque it makes you wonder why they didn't just put that in the setlist. The other is a steaming pile that's one of the most embarrassing things they've ever recorded.

...haven't hearrrrrd

yes, Discotheque would have been preferable.

just listening to the studio version now for the first time in years. I can certainly understand why people don't like it, but I love that chorus.

You guys have no idea what drama went on here about the lack of the "boomcha's" when the best of mix of Discotheque released.

You guys have no idea what drama went on here about the lack of the "boomcha's" when the best of mix of Discotheque released.

I was going to say I forgot about that, but it was more along the lines of I've blocked that shit storm from my memory.

Actually, I thought unknown caller was ok, too.

All those best of mixes are terrible. And anyone who prefers the single mix of Please deserves to be shot.

That's taking it a bit far. I enjoy the solo and the improved vocal delivery of the second 'love is big etc' but dislike the weakening of the rhythm section(particularly in the 'september...' breakdown before the climax).

I made a mix of it that is the album version up until the end of 'we just started again' and the single version from there on. But I don't even listen to it much. Recently, if I want to listen to the song, I listen to the album version or a live version.

Live versions are amazing and the album version is great in a different way; it's gritty and more intimate(as evidenced by B&E playing its structure acoustically on Elevation), Larry and Adam kick ass on it, and Edge's background vocals at the end get me every time.

The release of Invisible made me listen to NLOTH in full today for the first time in ages. I'm still angry at how the album quickly goes downhill starting with the chorus in Unknown Caller. By the time SUC ends (is that the worst song they've ever recorded?), the album is basically ruined. As good as Fez and Cedars are, the middle of the album is too low a point for it to recover.

I also hate that on the vinyl, Crazy Tonight is the last song in side B, and Fez is the last song in side C. I wish they had kept the nightmare trio together in side C so that I could skip it altogether.

Fez has been my favorite NLOTH song since the album was released, and I still love it. There's urgency there, as namkcur said, and it's new ground for them. Those guitars are really pretty. I wish they had explored that sound more. The title song is also great - I love how claustrophobic the production makes it sound.

In other news, Invisible is a great running song.

Some day when they shut down and Universal are begging them for bread crumbs I pray we'll hear what it sounded like in Fez and perhaps whatever they had leftover for Songs of Ascent. That whole direction sounded amazing to me.

I love the urgency of the album version of Please. And the live version is one of the most jaw dropping moments in U2's career, imo. I appreciate what they tried to do on the single mix, but it was just impossible to recreate the live version in studio.

Also, I think I'm one of the only people here that live the '97 VMA's version.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using U2 Interference mobile app

I love the urgency of the album version of Please. And the live version is one of the most jaw dropping moments in U2's career, imo. I appreciate what they tried to do on the single mix, but it was just impossible to recreate the live version in studio.

Also, I think I'm one of the only people here that live the '97 VMA's version.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using U2 Interference mobile app

I thought everyone loved the '97 VMA performance? I do, anyway.

Funny story...I didn't become a U2 fan until 1998, but I'm pretty sure I remember seeing this performance in 1997 and not liking it, 'cause I didn't get U2 yet. I think I thought it was boring. Glad I got over that, 'cause like you said, it's one of their greatest moments.

Not really a stretch for some people to find White As Snow boring.

True if you barely listen to it once, but my undergrad degree is in music theory and I have a fascination with sacred music and out of all of it O Come, O Come Emmanuel is my favorite piece and so the reinterpretation of it in such a staggering way that's both dark and true to the meaning of the original piece (while also using it as a storytelling moment) on a rock album from the biggest band in the world is about as far from boring as can be for me personally. Plus the arrangement and the vocal are haunting, and the lyric is one of Bono's best post-Pop.

The whole album is so good. I love it, particularly the second half, even Playboy Mansion and Miami. That live version of Miami from Leeds is fucking awesome. Badass.

I'm unashamed in my love for The Playboy Mansion, it's a bit like Boots in that it bogged down some better ideas by cluttering the song with cringe-inducing satire, but not nearly as horribly bungled in this case.

I'm unashamed in my love for The Playboy Mansion, it's a bit like Boots in that it bogged down some better ideas by cluttering the song with cringe-inducing satire, but not nearly as horribly bungled in this case.

:up:

Not really a song on Pop I don't like. Staring at the Sun comes closest I guess.

Yeah the more conservative Pop gets the less inspired it is. Staring at the Sun is probably my least favorite too, unless I'm really not in the mood for Miami or something.

Staring at the Sun is my least favourite on Pop by a million miles, and it's still a good song. I remember hearing Hold Me Thrill Me start up at the first gig I saw in 2010, and because I hadn't been following the setlists I jumped about a metre in the air because for a second it sounded like the sirens from Gone. Was still awesome to hear Hold Me though. Even if the tour forum tried to ruin my enjoyment of it by posting Batman jpgs fucking everywhere.

That link is taking its sweet-ass time to load, and I have to go do the dishes, so fill me in later, please.

Also, I need some Mastodon guidance, which I think you've already given me. I freaking love Crack the Skye, but I find Blood Mountain only tolerable. Now what?

OPERA

Gotta go with Leviathan next. It's arguably the fan favorite.

Staring at the Sun is my least favourite on Pop by a million miles, and it's still a good song. I remember hearing Hold Me Thrill Me start up at the first gig I saw in 2010, and because I hadn't been following the setlists I jumped about a metre in the air because for a second it sounded like the sirens from Gone. Was still awesome to hear Hold Me though. Even if the tour forum tried to ruin my enjoyment of it by posting Batman jpgs fucking everywhere.

HMTMKMKM :rockon:

I'll probably always feel like if they'd held onto it and put it on Pop, it could've been that huge first single that got peoples' attention for the album.

This has been a whirlwind of exciting music news tuned exactly to my taste in the past few days. Invisible started it off.

Then this morning Nickel Creek announced a burying of the hatchetreunion after an ugly hiatus by releasing a new song from a new album and announcing a brief tour. Now when a bluegrass group comes back after 7 years and only does 7 shows you'd assume they'd stay below the Mason Dixon, but one of them is at the House of Blues here in Boston. Though I'd have gone any distance to see them after all this time. The funny thing is that this is their "25th anniversary" in that they formed as a unit when they were 8-11 years old in 1989.

And now, Nonesuch drop the bomb that not only is Emmylou Harris' Wrecking Ball (one of my desert island records) getting a deluxe reissue, but she and Danny Lanois are going to tour it, and again Boston's HOB gets one of the shows.

Emmylou Harris’s "Wrecking Ball" to Be Reissued April 8 Remastered, with Previously Unreleased Material, Behind-the-Scenes DVD | Nonesuch Records

The one thing that has always me me a tad critical of POP, though I consider it their last great hurrah, is the cliff it falls off with Staring At The Sun through Last Night On Earth. None are terrible by any stretch but it feels like two albums separated by a confused muddle. The 'night time' record from Miami onwards is quite remarkable imo. It's a crying shame that the U2 fixed forever in the public mind will never be this stuff.

Also, I need some Mastodon guidance, which I think you've already given me. I freaking love Crack the Skye, but I find Blood Mountain only tolerable. Now what?

Leviathan was the first album of theirs I heard, and still my favorite. I think you'll like it, it's based on Moby Dick (you can pretend it's a metal opera), and most of the songs are between 3 and 4 minutes long. The opening track is probably my favorite song of theirs.

Back
Top Bottom