Random Music Talk XCI: A Festivus for the Rest of Us

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll talk about U2 as often and as in-depth as you like.

I think that it would be a smart move to place them in a festival environment like that. I am assuming that being with Live Nation means fresh, less antiquated thinking and thus things like Coachella would be more in play. Putting them in front of people that potentially might not like them, or even really know their music, cannot hurt them in any meaningful way that I can think of.

I agree Laz. And I think it won't have any impact on ticket sales since most of the Coachella tickets are already sold. It would get them in front of a young crowd without the intense pressure of Glastonbury.

The only other problem I could think of it that there are usually two headliners each night that overlap with set times. It's possible they might not want to risk competing with a potential big draw like OutKast or whoever and wind up with a smaller crowd.

but what would coblr do if U2 and Outkast play the same time? I'm scared.

It'd be a great move from a buzz standpoint, and as this will be my first Coachella I'd be all aboard, but since they're exclusively with Live Nation in the US it's pretty unlikely Goldenvoice would be allowed to book them.

A thought I had re: Coachella this week had to do with the Grammys being bumped to January and Daft Punk actually performing. The typical Coachella lineup announce could coincide with their performance and a tour announcement. A dude can dream.

I've always found U2's reluctance to do festivals bizarre, just considering how giddy they seem to be about appealing to younger people.

The only other problem I could think of it that there are usually two headliners each night that overlap with set times. It's possible they might not want to risk competing with a potential big draw like OutKast or whoever and wind up with a smaller crowd.

Coachella isn't usually bad about that sort of thing, like Lolla or ACL. They may be up against a too EDM act in the Sahara but normally not a high profile act on the Outdoor.

It'd be a great move from a buzz standpoint, and as this will be my first Coachella I'd be all aboard, but since they're exclusively with Live Nation in the US it's pretty unlikely Goldenvoice would be allowed to book them.

A thought I had re: Coachella this week had to do with the Grammys being bumped to January and Daft Punk actually performing. The typical Coachella lineup announce could coincide with their performance and a tour announcement. A dude can dream.

Yeah. I wonder about the LN issue too. But I'd hope exceptions could be made for festivals.

This Daft Punk Grammy news has again given me a sliver of hope.

I'm not even 1/5 the fan that cobbler is, and I would still see Outkast... You just don't pass stuff like that up to see a band you KNOW will be back... Imo

I have a copy I'm supposed to write a "preview" for (although since it's out, I guess it's a review rather than a preview).

Will get on it this weekend. I like a lot of her singles but the only album I consistently enjoy of hers is Sasha Fierce. But I'm really looking forward to this one; I hope I like it.

Edit: might as well listen to it now!

(Also finally heard the Sky Ferreira album - liked it a lot.)

Yeah, I liked most of it a lot. She lost me a bit around the middle with the slow jams, but overall, thumbs up.

Definitely Outkast, considering I've seen U2 four times, though I admit I'd be a little heartbroken.

When's the Coachella lineup usually announced? And please tell me tickets go on sale after it's been announced?

So I watched the les miserables movie, and overall did like it. I'm not so sure how much of that was on its actual merits rather than the fact that it's les miserables. The excessive close-ups were a tad annoying, and I'm still on fence regarding the whole on set singing--probably slightly more pro than con, being that it was something different (it's not as if I haven't already heard polished versions of those songs a million times before anyway), and that it did work most of the time.

I actually didn't mind Russell Crowe at all. At least he acted well, where some of the better singers seemed to be lacking. I'm with cori on being somewhat disappointed in Hugh Jackman (and I'm a Hugh Jackman fan, I even watched that Oklahoma production several years back, and I hate that musical). Bring Him Home was definitely the worst of it, though. Between them not knocking the song down so he could actually sing it well, his tendency to belt everything the same nasally sort of way really fucked with probably one of my favorite things in the entire musical. Speaking of people who have sung it fantastically in the past, Colm Wilkinson as the bishop was totally made of win. Marius was pretty awesome (although I really dislike the blonde with the creepy eyes that played Cosette), and they pulled off the sweeping epic fail of the student revolutionaries really well.

:up:

I liked Marius and the other students as well. They were a high point. Hotties and good singers. Yay.

Glad you (mostly) liked it!

So I watched the les miserables movie, and overall did like it. I'm not so sure how much of that was on its actual merits rather than the fact that it's les miserables. The excessive close-ups were a tad annoying, and I'm still on fence regarding the whole on set singing--probably slightly more pro than con, being that it was something different (it's not as if I haven't already heard polished versions of those songs a million times before anyway), and that it did work most of the time.

I actually didn't mind Russell Crowe at all. At least he acted well, where some of the better singers seemed to be lacking. I'm with cori on being somewhat disappointed in Hugh Jackman (and I'm a Hugh Jackman fan, I even watched that Oklahoma production several years back, and I hate that musical). Bring Him Home was definitely the worst of it, though. Between them not knocking the song down so he could actually sing it well, his tendency to belt everything the same nasally sort of way really fucked with probably one of my favorite things in the entire musical. Speaking of people who have sung it fantastically in the past, Colm Wilkinson as the bishop was totally made of win. Marius was pretty awesome (although I really dislike the blonde with the creepy eyes that played Cosette), and they pulled off the sweeping epic fail of the student revolutionaries really well.

http://www.u2interference.com/forum...ies-will-jessica-chastain-star-in-214934.html

I thought about posting there, but figured since 1) it was music-related 2) I was talking about it here the other day and 3) I venture into the movie threads almost as infrequently as I read the U2 parts of this forum, it was far better suited for this place.

At any rate, a cori post from that thread which I agree with entirely:

I liked what they did with the placement - Fantine singing I Dreamed a Dream made much more sense after becoming a prostitute. And Do You Hear the People Sing being where it was (flash mob!) was fantastic.

I didn't know about that beforehand and was thrown off slightly at first, but it worked quite well.

At any rate, a cori post from that thread which I agree with entirely:

I didn't know about that beforehand and was thrown off slightly at first, but it worked quite well.

Yeah, I freaked out a bit when they didn't go into Do You Hear. There was a mini-riot in my brain.

Cobbler's got a lot of problems with you people. Now, you're gonna hear about it.

Yeah, I freaked out a bit when they didn't go into Do You Hear. There was a mini-riot in my brain.

I'd seen some clip where they had Gavroche singing it like he was trying to rally the students, between that out of context and it not showing up where I expected, I got concerned for a moment that they'd done something awful to the song (like make it a teary, quietly sing Gavroche solo, that would be unforgivable).

It probably doesn't exist anymore--since you know, video-- but at one point a there may have been home video footage of myself and a couple of my friends, when we were about 9 or 10, marching around the backyard with toy swords and bed sheet capes singing that song. :shifty:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom