Random Music Talk LXXXVIII: Don't mention your vacations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Really do love just listening to random stuff every now and again, because then I catch stuff like this (recommended to me because I enjoy Charli XCX) and I don't know where I'd hear some of this stuff otherwise. Seems like she's got a decent following, though. First song sounds more like Gaga than Charli, but the second song, I definitely hear the comparison:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4By_cfI_1g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEWTG0VFJRE

Looooooooooooooooved the first Natalia Kills album. Was listening to one of her songs the other day and looked her up on Amazon to see if she had a second album .... only to find it had just come out! Ordered it. Hope it's even half as good as the first one.

Looooooooooooooooved the first Natalia Kills album. Was listening to one of her songs the other day and looked her up on Amazon to see if she had a second album .... only to find it had just come out! Ordered it. Hope it's even half as good as the first one.

Good to hear, because the potential for the second album actually looks a little higher, because it looks a bit more figured out than the first. What I mean is, basically just one producer for the second album, while the first was a little bloated (Will.I.Am., No I.D. and Akon just to name a few...clearly this was a slightly bigger release than I initially assumed).

Plus, Danielle Haim is playing guitar on the new one, or at least she's credited for guitar on it. Not sure if she's on every track or not. At least I'm assuming that's who they meant. Wiki has it listed as "Daniell" Haim.

They got their shit togethet for the second act. This is sort of a second string Carmen tonight; it's good, but the stars are on other nights.

Is it still an enjoyable performance, regardless?

Is Sandinista is the best studio "triple-album"?

Other contenders include All Things Must Pass, Prince's Emancipation, and...I don't know.

I didn't think All Things Must Pass was a triple album, so I was going to say Sandinista is the only triple album I've ever heard of. LM needs to fix that whole having only heard London Calling and whatever version of the self titled album, though.

Also from the other thread:
Only thing I know about Bellator is that Ben Askern seems like a douche.

Hey, Laz (and anyone else who might care, for that matter), I kept meaning to write up my thoughts on Riot Fest and I never got around to it, but "Ceremony" just came on and I meant to say something about seeing Peter Hook live. I don't know if your interested, since he fluctuates between playing a Joy Division set with a New Order set

No.

Think it's a night for some random music while I study Japanese for absolutely no classes I am in, but simply because I am a nerd.

This reminds me: I finally got off my ass and went to Mondo to pick up my Studio Ghibli compilation. Having seen none of the films, I was really impressed with the scores. Mononoke Symphonic Suite was gorgeous.

Non music related whining
Moving and having the cable disconnected the day before the Breaking Bad finale, and not being able to get new service until Tuesday, and not having any friends with cable TV despite the show being filmed in our state, and now having to stay away from the Internet and newspapers and, come to think of it, all humans until Tuesday night to avoid spoilers, and feeling like I just got hit by a truck from the move and not being able to find basic necessities like socks, and having my hands be all cracked and bleeding and now having to muster up the energy to clean the old place, is making for a shitty Sunday.

Music related news
while dealing with all of the above yesterday, I got a text from my sister in NYC "omg sitting in a coffee shop on Bleecker you will never guess who just walked in I can't breathe I'm going to pass out!!!!111!!!" Why, yes I can guess who it is in one word: Thom.

On the up side, 12 days until Robert Fucking Smith.

Until then, somebody please just put me in a coma or something.

This reminds me: I finally got off my ass and went to Mondo to pick up my Studio Ghibli compilation. Having seen none of the films, I was really impressed with the scores. Mononoke Symphonic Suite was gorgeous.

:up:

Mononoke Hime came out when I lived in Japan. I still feel a weird special connection to it. Believe it or not, it's actually a guy singing the theme.

Mononoke Hime OST - 32 - Princess Mononke Theme Song (Mononoke-Hime, Performed By Yoshikazu Mera) - YouTube

Moving and having the cable disconnected the day before the Breaking Bad finale, and not being able to get new service until Tuesday, and not having any friends with cable TV despite the show being filmed in our state, and now having to stay away from the Internet and newspapers and, come to think of it, all humans until Tuesday night to avoid spoilers, and feeling like I just got hit by a truck from the move and not being able to find basic necessities like socks, and having my hands be all cracked and bleeding and now having to muster up the energy to clean the old place, is making for a shitty Sunday.

Music related news
while dealing with all of the above yesterday, I got a text from my sister in NYC "omg sitting in a coffee shop on Bleecker you will never guess who just walked in I can't breathe I'm going to pass out!!!!111!!!" Why, yes I can guess who it is in one word: Thom.

Hope the move goes quickly and without problems. It stresses me out just hearing about other people moving.

Jealous about The Cure.

I'm choosing to pretend the Atoms For Peace shows aren't actually happening. Your sister was likely just creating an elaborate hoax.

Mononoke's soundtrack is brilliant, and I had no clue that was a bloke.

There are some pretty good anime related soundtracks outside of the ones that seem to be merely extra promotion for Japanese popstars.

My favourite probably remains Cowboy Bebop's opening, it's the epitome of cool.

Cowboy Bebop opening (Tank!) - YouTube

Music related news

:hug:

I have moved so much that I sometimes forget how stressful it can be. I hope the rest of the process goes smoothly, and that you stay spoiler free.

Yoko Kanno's Bebop score is the stuff of legend. Space Lion and The Real Folk Blues are standouts. She also did amazing stuff within classic jazz works on Watanabe's Kids on the Slope, and another legendary score for Escaflowne.

Nausicaa and Ponyo are both my favorite Ghibli scores and films respectively. Spirited Away is one of my least favorite Miyazaki films on the whole but yeah amaaaaaaaaazing music there as well.

Joyful, are there any bars or other places hosting a viewing party? Less than optimal, but better than nothing?

Kanno's scores always seem to intersect with the visuals and action really well, whereas a lot of scores come across just as background filler, hers seem an equal part in the whole production (well that's my interpretation lacking any proper music theory).

Escaflowne's is another good one with some quite dramatic choral work, though its been a while since i've listened to it.

Elbow says there's a "big announcement" coming tomorrow.

Think they'll announce when the new Elbow joint is dropping?

elbow-drop.jpg

Music related news

You don't have to stay away from me. :sexywink: I have seen various parts of the show over the years, but I need to go back to the beginning and work my way through. No television + Jimmy Eat World concert tonight means I'm totally oblivious!

I'd like to second the elaborate hoax theory. Pics or it didn't happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom