Random Music Talk LXXXVIII: Don't mention your vacations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And the author is not black, either. It's just huge grasping at straws. Song's not really my thing, but shit, it's a helluva lot better than most of the shit on the charts at the moment. I like what JT said once... some people feel like it is their right to get offended for a certain group of people.

Anyway I need some help - I'm writing a feature story, and talking about the interviewee looking at her passport and seeing a stamp from Poland (where she's just come back from the Homeless World Cup). But a quick google search has revealed Poland is part of the 'Schengen Area'. Has anyone been to any of these countries? Does the whole zone have one uniform stamp? Niels, I need your help.

Anyway I need some help - I'm writing a feature story, and talking about the interviewee looking at her passport and seeing a stamp from Poland (where she's just come back from the Homeless World Cup). But a quick google search has revealed Poland is part of the 'Schengen Area'. Has anyone been to any of these countries? Does the whole zone have one uniform stamp? Niels, I need your help.

No, as far as I know there's not one uniform stamp. Each country has its own stamp. I think you can determine it better than I can. Is the stamp in Polish? Does it explicitly mention Poland?

I never get those stamps when I get back home. :)

Guys, I have a road-trip from New York to Vermont to Canada coming up next week. Any recommendations for Canadian-inspired (or foliage-inspired, I guess) music? I know I'm taking Silver Gymnasium with me as we'll get somewhat close to NH. Also taking After the Gold Rush and On the Beach. Any other ideas?

And those in a year with really good albums from Autechre, Boards of Canada, Jon Hopkins and James Holden.
I'm glad someone here mentioned liking The Inheritors. I think I tried hyping it here twice but it got ignored. :lol:

The other three albums you mentioned are greatas well. At the moment I'm really enjoying Psychic by Darkside. Very interesting. It's atmospheric electronic music with some guitar mixed in. It actually reminded me a bit of The Terror. The vocals in one song are similar to Coyne's anyway.

Guys, I have a road-trip from New York to Vermont to Canada coming up next week. Any recommendations for Canadian-inspired (or foliage-inspired, I guess) music? I know I'm taking Silver Gymnasium with me as we'll get somewhat close to NH. Also taking After the Gold Rush and On the Beach. Any other ideas?

That's going to be an amazing drive. Have fun!

Thanks! I've been meaning to do this trip in the fall since I moved to New York, so I'm very excited.

I'm a bit late to the party, but congrats mofo. :up: And I'm also a fan of not spoilering stuff like that. Anyone who visits this thread reads it anyway.

Also, I've never heard of Lorde before. I immediately thought of Lordi when read it. This song is still a guilty pleasure of mine. Lordi - Hard Rock Hallelujah (Finland) 2006 Eurovision Song Contest Winner - YouTube

:laugh:

You could make a mix filled with some autumn-y songs, like Yo La Tengo's 'Autumn Sweater', or White Stripes' 'Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground', or Manic Street Preachers' 'Autumnsong' for example.

People look for any reason to be outraged. Plus throwing accusations of racism around = views.

Pretty much. To paraphrase a blog I read, most online writing is "white people calling out other white people on behalf of non-white people" (this was after the hullabaloo over Miley's VMA twerking)

I'm not saying a response like the one in the article on Lordes is appropriate, but you never can tell the underlying reason someone might be offended by racism, homophobia, sexism, etc. I'm especially sensitive to homophobia because I have a gay brother. So I think it can be justified for people to be offended by disparaging remarks about a particular demographic without actually belonging to that demographic. Posturing as offended helps no one, though.

You could make a mix filled with some autumn-y songs, like Yo La Tengo's 'Autumn Sweater', or White Stripes' 'Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground', or Manic Street Preachers' 'Autumnsong' for example.

I like this idea. On the jazz side, I will add the Miles Davis/Cannonball Adderley version of Autumn Leaves there.

This reminds me that I should probably take an Autumn Defense album with me.

Hey, Mofo, I'm so happy for you! I wanted to respond yesterday, but I was so busy, I passed out before I ever got on the computer yesterday and what I wanted to tell you was a little long for posting on the phone.

Anyways, I have no personal advice about the salary question, but I did want to share with you an article I read the other day when I was filling out an application that asked for my "Desired" salary. I'm sharing this article because it sounded reasonable, but also because I was curious about other opinions on whether the advice in it was sound or not:

Salary Requirements: What to Say | LinkedIn

I already know from the comments that the bit about "Income Expenses" isn't something you should use as an argument, since they're picking from the range you offered them in the first place.

Hey, Mofo, I'm so happy for you! I wanted to respond yesterday, but I was so busy, I passed out before I ever got on the computer yesterday and what I wanted to tell you was a little long for posting on the phone.

Anyways, I have no personal advice about the salary question, but I did want to share with you an article I read the other day when I was filling out an application that asked for my "Desired" salary. I'm sharing this article because it sounded reasonable, but also because I was curious about other opinions on whether the advice in it was sound or not:

Salary Requirements: What to Say | LinkedIn

I think her logic is sound on most of that. I still subscribe to doing what makes you feel most comfortable, but overall, yes, people should not fear negotiating on their own behalf under such circumstances, especially as you move along in your career.

I think her logic is sound on most of that. I still subscribe to doing what makes you feel most comfortable, but overall, yes, people should not fear negotiating on their own behalf under such circumstances, especially as you move along in your career.

I suspect whenever I do get my first salaried job, I'm going to be so relieved I'm going to be most comfortable accepting what's offered, so I'm kinda glad to hear someone tell me they think that's OK.

People like my dad are just way too aggressive about some things.

I'm not saying a response like the one in the article on Lordes is appropriate, but you never can tell the underlying reason someone might be offended by racism, homophobia, sexism, etc. I'm especially sensitive to homophobia because I have a gay brother. So I think it can be justified for people to be offended by disparaging remarks about a particular demographic without actually belonging to that demographic. Posturing as offended helps no one, though.
I get that, but as more white artists make songs about the same topics in the same genres, it is less and less about race. In fact, the racial component of the lyrics never occurred to me until that article.

I took the lyrics to represent excessive wealth, which, as, I think LemonMelon, is kinda the point. Hip Hop songs sing about those things as a way to show how rich and powerful they are, but they're excessive things. No one NEEDS Cristal.

Thanks everyone for the comments and advice, it's much appreciated. I spoke with the HR manager on the phone earlier, asked a few questions, and also asked if they could possibly adjust the salary as discussed. She was super nice, sorta made me feel dumb for being so nervous about it. Hopefully it works out.

Related, yet unrelated, question: What size of hard-drive do you all have on your phones? I had a phone issued from work for 9 years, so I bought a really cheap Windows Phone (Nokia Lumia 521, which I highly recommend to anyone who wants a smartphone, but doesn't want to spend much of anything for one. Probably the nicest budget phone there is, by a long shot.) the last couple months while I was looking, but want to upgrade for the new job. I have a 64 gig iPad, and it's mostly filled with junk apps I've never used once. I realize that I probably don't need a very big hard drive, but I'm never sure if 16 gigs will be enough or not.

-PS - NO SPOILERZ!1!!!1

Just got back from the David Bowie exhibit at the Art Gallery of Ontario. Man, if any of you have a chance to check it out, do it. It's amazing. It's surreal to be looking at a costume right in front of you and seeing Bowie singing Starman on Top of the Pops 40 years ago in the very same outfit. And reading along on the original handwritten, scribbled on, and scratched out lyrics to Heroes while it played on the headphones they provide nearly brought a tear to my eye. Awesome stuff

Thanks everyone for the comments and advice, it's much appreciated. I spoke with the HR manager on the phone earlier, asked a few questions, and also asked if they could possibly adjust the salary as discussed. She was super nice, sorta made me feel dumb for being so nervous about it. Hopefully it works out.

Related, yet unrelated, question: What size of hard-drive do you all have on your phones? I had a phone issued from work for 9 years, so I bought a really cheap Windows Phone (Nokia Lumia 521, which I highly recommend to anyone who wants a smartphone, but doesn't want to spend much of anything for one. Probably the nicest budget phone there is, by a long shot.) the last couple months while I was looking, but want to upgrade for the new job. I have a 64 gig iPad, and it's mostly filled with junk apps I've never used once. I realize that I probably don't need a very big hard drive, but I'm never sure if 16 gigs will be enough or not.

-PS - NO SPOILERZ!1!!!1

16 gigs isn't enough for music. I have 32 and it's constantly filled to the brim. It's annoying to have to make room all the time and the phone runs incredibly slow. Going for 64 next time.

What is the deal with iPhone storage anyway? Why are they giving us the same capacities they have been for years? It's bullshit

What do you want to do with it? Store music on it? Video? I believe those two will be the biggest occupiers of memory on your phone. If you're not planning to put much of those on your phone you won't need one with lots of memory. I have the smallest iPhone 5 there is (is that a 16GB one?), bought 6 months ago. It's my business phone, does not have any music on it (I have a 120GB iPod for that), nor video. ~300 photos and still has about 11GB free.

-PS - NO SPOILERZ!1!!!1

:sad:

It is BS, particularly since some freaking budget phones (the one I have) allow you to use upgradeable SD cards of your own (aditional 64 gigs for like $20).

I'll probably not use my phone for music though, my iPod is 160 gigs, and nearly full of music.

Haim.

I have a 32 GB phone and just have to pick and choose what music I put on it. I have taken over 2000 photos with it in 23 months so that takes up a lot of space too. Strongly considering the 64 GB with my next upgrade, which should be coming soon.

Just got back from the David Bowie exhibit at the Art Gallery of Ontario. Man, if any of you have a chance to check it out, do it. It's amazing. It's surreal to be looking at a costume right in front of you and seeing Bowie singing Starman on Top of the Pops 40 years ago in the very same outfit. And reading along on the original handwritten, scribbled on, and scratched out lyrics to Heroes while it played on the headphones they provide nearly brought a tear to my eye. Awesome stuff

I both want to see this exhibit and don't want to see this exhibit. The only reason I don't want to see it is because the David Bowie Facebook page keeps talking about the Bowie "Tour" and I get this flash of excitement, until I realize that they're just talking about the exhibit again :(

It is BS, particularly since some freaking budget phones (the one I have) allow you to use upgradeable SD cards of your own (aditional 64 gigs for like $20).

I'll probably not use my phone for music though, my iPod is 160 gigs, and nearly full of music.

My phone has a memory card slot, so I wouldn't have to worry about music, if I ever used it, but since i just stream/offline everything on Grooveshark, I have no music on my phone. The internal memory is reaching capacity now, though, with the pictures/videos and apps I have on it. I think it's like 8 gigs internal, since it's got the SD card slot.

600full-the-negotiator-poster.jpg

SUCCESS

I am Keyser Söze.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom