Random Music Talk LXXXVI: SCUBA Is Reporting for Duty

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against the barroom wall, and he looks you crooked in the eye and he asks you if ya paid your dues, you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye, and you remember what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like that: "Have ya paid your dues, Jack?" "Yessir, the check is in the mail."

Somebody needs to watch Big Trouble in Little China immediately.

Look, I'm a reasonable guy, but I've just experienced some very unreasonable things.

I don't care for Gob.

Gob is a local punk band from Langley, BC near Vancouver who I went to high school with. They used to play local gigs for a couple of bucks. I'm proud of them for having some success. Their music isn't high on my list but I will enjoy it if its playing.

Is this the Gob you were referring to?

Gob is a local punk band from Langley, BC near Vancouver who I went to high school with. They used to play local gigs for a couple of bucks. I'm proud of them for having some success. Their music isn't high on my list but I will enjoy it if its playing.

Is this the Gob you were referring to?

340x-7.gif

No, dear.

Arrested Development - I don't care for Gob - YouTube

:)

We have 2 universities with fairly large student populations in the area I live in, but it's also far more dense with Mormons than the Salt Lake valley (actually, I think the county I live in has more Mormons than any other county in the US). Liquor stores close at 7, and there are hardly any bars.

It's a Joni kind of evening. Hejira finally clicked with me. Gorgeous album. It was one of the lower-ranked Joni Mitchell records for me for a long time, but the cohesion, production and captivating storytelling are too good to deny. You could cut its atmosphere with a knife. Like the Joshua Tree, it makes me want to go visit the southwest.

It's a Joni kind of evening. Hejira finally clicked with me. Gorgeous album. It was one of the lower-ranked Joni Mitchell records for me for a long time, but the cohesion, production and captivating storytelling are too good to deny. You could cut its atmosphere with a knife. Like the Joshua Tree, it makes me want to go visit the southwest.

Amelia. :heart:

Maybe I've never really loved
I guess that is the truth
I've spent my whole life in clouds at icy altitude
And looking down on everything
I crashed into his arms
Amelia, it was just a false alarm

Damn, Joni. DAMN.

Coyote and Amelia is a top notch start for sure.

I've heard Summertime Sadness in three different places over two days. That song seems to be blowing up right now.

There are many who feel this is her best, and I don't take issue with that opinion. It doesn't finish as strong as it starts, but it's an album that really sounds like nothing else.

Personally I prefer The Hissing Of Summer Lawns (my favorite Joni) because it's more eclectic.

Since we were talking about 4 great albums in a row in that other thread, check out this run:

Blue
For The Roses
Court And Spark
The Hissing Of Summer Lawns
Hejira
Don Juan's Reckless Daughter

You also have a great live album (Miles Of Aisles) in the middle there.

EDIT: Just saw you mentioned her yourself there. :wave:

Hissing of Summer Lawns is one of my three favorites (along with Blue and Court), and I do prefer it to Hejira because it sounds so fresh and vital. The top tracks on there are incredible. Hejira though, you're exactly right, it sounds like nothing else. Cosmic desert jazz.

I've never heard Don Juan's Reckless Daughter. Guess that's where I need to go next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom