Random Music Talk LXXXVI: SCUBA Is Reporting for Duty

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I found the Mumford and Sons stream if anyone is interested

Lava.gif

I legitimately laughed out loud, nice.

I found the Mumford and Sons stream if anyone is interested

* SPOILER *

I thought if I click that spoiler and there is anything other than magma flowing, I'll toss jt into a volcano. Rest assured, my atheist Canadian friend, you're safe. For now.

Don't you, you know, have to play the guitar to make that kind of list? Last I checked, making annoying-ass sounds on a laptop didn't count. Not that a list like that (from Spin in particular) has any sort of credibility.

I'm seeing Beck tonight for the first time, guys. Excited to hear some new songs as well as stuff from the Song Reader.

Beck would probably crack my top five white whales. Somewhere among Bowie, Waits, Daft Punk, and whoever I'd decide is fifth. YYY maybe since the time I "saw" them hardly counted.

1. Bowie
2. Lou Reed
3. Joni Mitchell
4. Elvis Costello
5. Tom Waits

Joni is technically retired and not likely to tour again as she hasn't in quite some time. I'd rank her #1 but I don't think she'd deliver on the level Bowie would.

I've never seen the Rolling Stones but don't really give a fuck. No desire to see Fleetwood Mac without Christine McVie, and Nicks not being able to hit any high notes would depress me (see: her perf of Dreams on The Dance).

I'd put the Dismemberment Plan on there but I'm guessing I'm not going to have to wait too long for that.

I've managed to see my many favorite bands the last 2-3 years (most notably U2, Radiohead, Bloc Party, Sigur Ros, Destroyer and The National) but there are still a few holes. Well, lots of them actually but I have seen my absolute favorites. The ones I haven't seen include:

Arcade Fire
Daft Punk
Okkervil River
Interpol
Muse (if they ignore their last two albums bar 2-3 songs)

Those are the first that spring to mind. There are also many bands I've only seen live at a festival that I'd like to see in better circumstances.

In no order, regardless of being "active" currently or not:

Stevie Wonder

Bowie (I'm not as huge a fan as most in here but I'd still like to see him perform)
Replacements (still contemplating)
The Verve
Fiona Apple
The Who (maybe I don't want to see them as badly as I think because god knows I've had opportunities)
Asobi Seksu
Bjork (6 months ago she would not have been on my list. After listening to her discography, she certainly is now. She was out here not too long ago, work prevented me from being able to go)
Grizzly Bear
Raphael Saadiq
My Bloody Valentine
Depeche Mode/The Cure (Again, not a huge fan of either but know enough songs to ensure I'd be into it.)
Living Colour
Neil Young :drool:
Shearwater

1. Bowie
2. Lou Reed
3. Joni Mitchell
4. Elvis Costello
5. Tom Waits

I've seen Reed and Costello. Both deserve to be up here.

My list, in no order:

Bowie
SFA
Tom Waits
Pulp
Paul McCartney

Honorable mention: Steely Dan

I'm suddenly having a new appreciation for having seen Bowie live.

Haven't ever really forgiven a friend in NY for not telling me about a secret Joni show circa mid-90s at Cafe Sin-é which was a couple of blocks from my apt in the East Village.

My white whale: The Cure

Lots of others I'd love to see but The Cure really hurts, especially since I was living in NYC during their heyday.

Kind of unbelievable I've managed to see just about everyone else I really love. I'm probably forgetting someone important.

Bowie would be my no. 1 for sure. Elvis Costello and Blur are in the list. Flaming Lips is somewhere in the top 5, but I'll see them in a few months.

Edit: Oh, Pearl Jam too. Not a huge fan, but would love to see them live.

You can live vicariously through me :hyper:

I'll be watching the stream and glad I'm on my couch and not in a festival crowd, but still need to see them in a douchebag seat with 20,000 of their own obsessed fans.

I hope you have a great experience, though!

In no order, regardless of being "active" currently or not:

Stevie Wonder

Had one jaunt with this dude and it was so unbelievably good.

I'd put the Dismemberment Plan on there but I'm guessing I'm not going to have to wait too long for that.

These cats are playing FFF so I feel like I oughta get into em. Same reason I've listened to Marquee Moon several times in the past few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom