Random Music Talk LXXXIX: This, That, and The Other Place

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I worked in a mall music shop for a while after I graduated from college, and one of my coworkers really loved that Silverchair debut CD. I haaaated it.

Fast-forward how-ever-many years, and I was channel surfing past VH1 and heard something that made me be all "Hold up, that sounds really good, what is it?"

Fucking Silverchair. The rest of the album isn't terrible, but this remains the only song by them I like. And I really like it.

Silverchair - Straight Lines - YouTube

I've never played any of the Silent Hill games, but the soundtracks are fucking stellar. Akira Yamaoka is slowly becoming one of my favorite composers. If you have any taste whatsoever for trip hop, ambient or classical piano, you need to hear his work. Silent Hill 3 sounds like a slightly prettier, more atmospheric Mezzanine.

I was just out to dinner, and the place was playing a 90s alternative blend. Candlebox, Silverchair, Filter, Soul Asylum, Cracker, etc. I felt like I was back in middle school. The server was opining that Silverchair has actually had a long and varied career. For some reason I have a hard time believing that.

Long and varied is definitely a stretch, but it's a lot less narrow than teenage nirvana, and not a whole lot after the first two albums really sounded like "tomorrow." Their singer got a little carried away with orchestral overdubs (although if the year 2000 song was the only thing off that you heard, you'd never know it), and I believe some electronic stuff eventually, and while I'm not necessarily saying they did it well (I will always have a soft spot for Neon Ballroom, though), there's probably a little more basis for your waiter's claims than you'd think.

I was definitely a fan of all that stuff when I was 14-15. I've moved past it to the point where on one hand I'll take it over a current mainstream pop station, but on the other don't entirely understand how anyone managed to get stuck in that era--sort of like how I feel every time I hear "two princes."

Also like how when I walked into the station at work a little while ago and one of my coworkers was talking about how he really likes the goo goo dolls. I nearly punched him in the face when he said he has very eclectic taste in music; his favorite bands are the goo goo dolls and eminem. Instead of committing workplace violence, I just tore into the kid who says he listens to everything on my rant about how that's the answer for people with don't actually listen to anything.

I worked in a mall music shop for a while after I graduated from college, and one of my coworkers really loved that Silverchair debut CD. I haaaated it.

Fast-forward how-ever-many years, and I was channel surfing past VH1 and heard something that made me be all "Hold up, that sounds really good, what is it?"

Fucking Silverchair. The rest of the album isn't terrible, but this remains the only song by them I like. And I really like it.

Silverchair - Straight Lines - YouTube

I used this song in my first-ever DI entry, which received probably the worst reception of any DI list ever. It's a catchy tune.

I've got plenty of friends who like Silverchair's older stuff but it was never really my thing. Frogstomp is held in high regard.

At the trivia night I go to every Wednesday the final round is music round and the focus is usually 90s alt rock type stuff. The final question they play a video clip and you've gotta get the band, song, lead singer and year. It costs us every week. One week it's gonna be Range Life or Cut Your Hair and I'll emerge triumphant.

I've never played any of the Silent Hill games, but the soundtracks are fucking stellar. Akira Yamaoka is slowly becoming one of my favorite composers. If you have any taste whatsoever for trip hop, ambient or classical piano, you need to hear his work. Silent Hill 3 sounds like a slightly prettier, more atmospheric Mezzanine.

Play the games, they're fucking terrifying. I agree with you as well, amazing soundtracks.

Straight Lines was all over the place when I was in year 7/8. It sounded decent, even good back then but woefully dull now.

I was just out to dinner, and the place was playing a 90s alternative blend. Candlebox, Silverchair, Filter, Soul Asylum, Cracker, etc. I felt like I was back in middle school. The server was opining that Silverchair has actually had a long and varied career. For some reason I have a hard time believing that.

Silverchair were very highly regarded here for a long time, had a few critical and commercial successes after Frogstomp. I don't think they've done anything since that album with Straight Lines though, which I'm pretty sure was largely seen as a pedestrian stadium rock doowacky.

I don't know if I ever listened to anything off that album other than straight line. I was going to earlier, but I ended up listening to a bunch of other song instead.

I'd rather him be an alt at this point. I'd like to think I'm just being trolled by a laz alt or something, rather than him being an actual person who believes the shit he says. For someone who had such a stringent definition of the word dread, you'd think the same would hold for the phrase "published article." Such is not the case. Not did he get my decree that the IWB hates everything joke is really old at this point.

Hopefully he's reading the site via app (probably while banging his wife/blowup doll) and saw his name mentioned here in the last post and check in. Haven't had enough of his crazy in the pj thread.

On another, unrelated note, I played the guitar for the first time in years and it took me ten minutes to remember how to play fade to black.

I don't listen to the radio anymore but please forgive me for thinking that's 90% of the Australian stuff that plays constantly on there.

I just read he's signed a five-album deal with Atlantic on the back of that fucking song. Ughhhhhhh

I looked at a photo of him, and bloody hell, he looks exactly like the music would have you believe.

I've wondered this for a while. Champions a lot of the same bands Brau did.

I can't picture brau having such a hard on for the darkness, even as a joke. Maybe he did like them and I just forgot, but despite the band's name, they're awfully white. And I'd find the hatred for any and all negativity to be a stretch, even for trolling and a joke. I had no issues with brau. I liked the guy well enough and had good discussions in the cd exchange days swapping mix CDs. But I wasn't here for his flip out, so I missed the part about how he went crazy.

I must have been on a hiatus during the Brau flip out. I always had decent memories of him.

Seriously, who is this Von Schloopen guy?

If it's an alt, my money would be on Crashed Car Driver, mainly because he disappeared right as Schloop began posting, and also because they both have a penchant for posting a bevy of random songs with little explanation.

Back
Top Bottom