Random Music talk LXXXIV: More weeks at #1 than Elvis & The Beatles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pleasantly surprised by how many people here really like Yeezus. A lot of his own fans hate it. One of my favorite albums of the year, personally.

Apparently Jay-Z new album is going to have some R.E.M. lyrics on one of the tracks

Friday :combust:

-End of summer semester
-Blackhawks parade
-All day partying in Chicago
-Performance of Big Star's Third with members of Big Star, R.E.M., Jayhawks, etc.

TOO PARTY

3800a2a3.png

Did we ever get a review of your listens to older Kanye?

No, surprised you even remember that I was looking to explore his earlier stuff.

I gave each album a few listens but I really didn't like any album front to back. I liked a song or two on each, nothing more or less, really. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy was probably the one I liked best, just because it seemed like it was a leap forward...so I probably appreciated it more than I liked it. Because I had heard that some of his fan base disliked the new one I figured I'd give it a chance and see if I found it more appealing.

I hate to say this but I think it's fair to say that my tastes in hip hop, limited as they already were, have completely atrophied. If I think about it, the last hip hop album I liked from front to back would be Wu-Tang Forever. That's fucking 16 years old, so, yeah, shit, there you have it. I've certainly liked songs from the genre (and forgive me if I'm applying "hip hop" liberally but I hate genres, let alone sub-genres so this will have to suffice) since then but I probably like fewer and fewer a year. To be fair, I'm not listening to a great amount of albums from that genre so who knows what I'm missing, but in general, yeah, this is where I'm at. I'm getting old, kids.

If it makes you feel any better... You know I'm a bigger hip hop fan than you, but I felt the same way when I went through Kanye's back catalog during the Kanye survivor. I love the Good Music: Cruel Summer record, and MBDTF is solid front to back, but I could live without the rest of Kanye's albums if I had to. I haven't listened to the new one yet--Spotify won't work while I'm in Central America. Maybe this should go in the unpopular music opinions thread, but there it is.

I really hope Black Skinhead takes off as a sports anthem like Power did. That track gets me so hyped.

This is Hardcore is a really good album and the definition of a grower. I remember hearing it for the first time after discovering Different Class and His N Hers and being incredibly turned off by it. Seemed like a dark, try-hard record without any of the knockout tracks I expected, but it's such an absorbing experience for me now. I wish the title track was the first or second track or at least earlier on the record than it is, that is easy top 5 Pulp for me and would open the record with a bang. A Little Soul has that melodic sensibility I was looking for at first but I must have just glossed over it. Perfect pop song.

Can't really deny at this point that Pulp is one of my favorite bands.

The Fear, Dishes, Party Hard and Seductive Barry are also pretty smashing songs.

This is Hardcore is a really good album and the definition of a grower. I remember hearing it for the first time after discovering Different Class and His N Hers and being incredibly turned off by it. Seemed like a dark, try-hard record without any of the knockout tracks I expected, but it's such an absorbing experience for me now. I wish the title track was the first or second track or at least earlier on the record than it is, that is easy top 5 Pulp for me and would open the record with a bang. A Little Soul has that melodic sensibility I was looking for at first but I must have just glossed over it. Perfect pop song.

I think this is probably their best, though A Different Class may be the more pleasurable listen.

And yes, the title track is Rushmore-level stuff.

I've been making some quality genre mixes to listen to at work that have been going over well; Have a New Age one, 90s Rap, etc. I think a britpop mix would be fun. Anyone feel like throwing out some suggestions? Dont get too deep into discographies; these generally work best when most people know the songs

fo sho

You mean stone temple pilots with guns n roses, right? So Velvet Revolver?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom