Random Music Talk LXXX: Sordid Details of the GAF-Mark Buehrle Affair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't scrobbled anything from iTunes the past few months because there was something wrong with the plugin. I've finally fixed that just now.

Here are my most listened songs of the past 12 months FWIW. Not a lot of variety. Mainly because I barely listen to loose tracks.

1. The Cure – From the Edge of the Deep Green Sea-18

1. Destroyer – Rubies-18

1. The Antlers – Drift Dive-18

1. The Antlers – Crest-18

5. dEUS – Quatre Mains-16

5. dEUS – Nothings-16

5. dEUS – The Soft Fall-16

8. Sigur Rós – Rembihnútur-15

8. dEUS – Sirens-15

8. dEUS – Hidden Wounds-15

8. The Antlers – Endless Ladder-15

8. The Antlers – Zelda-15

13. Purity Ring – Crawlersout-14

13. Sigur Rós – Ég anda-14

13. Sigur Rós – Dauðalogn-14

I'm legitimately super excited for the album, whenever it comes.

I wasn't HUGE on No Line, as I've stated a million times, but I did like the path that the old man took with his lyric writing on some of the tracks: Taking the perspective of another person, a new character, and writing his poetry through a different look and a different channel. I hope he continues with that.

He was writing from his own perspective on terrible shit like Magnificock and Stand Up Comedy and Crazy Tonight. But when he wrote from a new character, as on the title track and Cedars and White as Snow, it worked a lot better, and has aged better. At least for me.

I always thought this was part of the Bono hype that suddenly he started doing this on No Line, which he didn't forget to mention in a single interview before the album came out. He didn't. There are plenty of other songs in U2 catalogue where he doesn't write from his own perspective.

Bad (heroin addict), The Fly (phone call from a guy from hell who likes it there), Until the End of the World (Judas Iscariot), Miracle Drug (mother of an Irish poet who had cerebral palsy), Dirty Day (father abandoning his family), The Wanderer (a preacher in a post-apocalyptic world) and although he doesn't use the word "I", Running To Stand Still and Exit follow a different character. Some of this is open to interpretation of course - I always loved the interpretation of One that it is a conversation between a gay son who is dying of AIDS and his unaccepting father. But let's not fool ourselves that No Line on the Horizon is somehow innovative in its lyrical approach because Bono wrote a song about a soldier in Iraq.

But I do agree with you is that the lyrics he wrote from a different perspective are his best on that album. Most of the abovementioned songs are actually some of my favourite ones lyrically.

Telephone Free Landslide Victory and Our Beloved Revolutionary Sweetheart. I think I liked the former more, just because of Take the Skinheads Bowling. Great song.

My personal fav is Key Lime Pie, which comes right after Sweetheart. It's not as fun as the album you prefer, but as you know I tend to like band's more complex/sophisticated efforts over the more youthful/energetic ones.

But you'll still dig it, I imagine.

When they returned after 13 years, it was with a full cover album of Fleetwood Mac's Tusk. Pretty awesome.

My personal fav is Key Lime Pie, which comes right after Sweetheart. It's not as fun as the album you prefer, but as you know I tend to like band's more complex/sophisticated efforts over the more youthful/energetic ones.

But you'll still dig it, I imagine.

When they returned after 13 years, it was with a full cover album of Fleetwood Mac's Tusk. Pretty awesome.

OBRS came out first and was a bit shorter so I went with that, but Key Lime Pie is next for sure.

So apparently Angel Deradorian (sp?) from Dirty Projectors is doing some solo stuff now. She'll be opening one of Animal Collective's shows here in DC. Passing this along because I know she gives a lot of the br0s here bonerz.

tumblr_lls3febBWg1qfzeph.gif

That's a great song.

Should have gone with this:

Tom Jones - SEX BOMB (Live 1999) - YouTube

This is the part of our show where I repeat myself and mention again that I've seen literally every single episode of The Fresh Prince of Bel Air at least eight times. This is neither lie, nor exaggeration. I'm sorry, but I feel it bears repeating.

Fuck with me.

Also, CARLOS FUCKING QUENTIN!!!!! :heart::heart::heart::heart::up::up::up::drool::drool:

I wanted to change my location to "de la ghetto" until I discovered that it's associated with some shitty reggaeton artist now.

well, I was underrating Paramore's new album. Listened to it on repeat all day, and out of 14 tracks there are only two (#3 and 13) I'd throw overboard, and an awful lot of quality in between.

Gotta disagree with you though, GAF; I relistened to Brand New Eyes tonight and for the most part didn't like it at all- the non-singles wilt in comparison to what they're doing here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom