Random Music Talk LXXVI: No officer, it's not the ice, I ALWAYS dress like a donkey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't been able to be on here as much lately thanks to my work blocking interference (despite having some of the best production numbers on my team), but man the new Toro Y Moi is everything Channel Orange wished it could be. That is all.

I haven't been able to be on here as much lately thanks to my work blocking interference (despite having some of the best production numbers on my team), but man the new Toro Y Moi is everything Channel Orange wished it could be. That is all.

This has very little to do with anything, but the cover of the last Toro Y Moi record creeped me the fuck out. Wasn't it the one with some crawly thing coming out of the guy's mouth?

http://www.u2interference.com/forum...-iii-friggin-cobbler-vs-the-world-210653.html

Somehow, despite being shorter than Channel Orange, I couldn't stop checking the time during that Toro y Moi album. Every song sounds like funk muzak.

New Miles bootleg collection gets a 9.0 and best new reissue from the FORK.

Hey iYup/LM... what jazz album should I check out next? I adore Bitches Brew, love Kind of Blue, like but haven't spent enough time with In a Silent Way and really enjoy Wayne Shorter's Juju.

I've been listening to a lot of Herbie Hancock lately. Head Hunters is one of the finest examples of jazz fusion, I can recommend that one highly.

Personally, I would go deeper into Shorter's catalogue - particularly See No Evil and Night Dreamer. Hancock is also great: Empyrean Isles and the aforementioned Head Hunters are both classics. You might also enjoy Freddie Hubbard, who played extensively with both Shorter and Hancock. He's a trumpet player in the bop/modal vein.

Karma by Pharoah Sanders is one of the best albums I've ever heard. Way trippier than any other jazz I know of. Cosmic as fuck.

Zen Arcade would be so much better with a half hour cut out of it. Something I Learned Today, Broken Home Broken Heart, Pink Turns to Blue, Newest Industry, etc. are all great tracks, but punk is not best heard in 70 minute installments.

Have you heard any Charles Mingus, Cobbler? He's esoteric but also essential listening for any jazz fan.

Charles Mingus is my favorite jazz musician, straight up. I find him more consistent than Miles, though Miles made a greater number of groundbreaking albums over the course of his career.

BANNER YEAR CONTlNUES

pG2SzoW.jpg

A photo of a dude and a chick pressed up against eachother leaning on a wall at some bar or party, and the chick is smoking a cigarette?

I actually like that photo. I guess the frame around it is weird. Is the frame what you guys don't like?

Definitely the frame. Looks like shit. Really disappointing given the great artwork he's had over the years.

30 Rock series finale tonight, man. Over the last couple of years I haven't followed the show as religiously as I used to, but it's still one of my all-time favorites. We've had some great laughs.

Shit, forgot that was tonight. I've still been diligent about keeping up with it, unlike The Office. I'll try and knock it out at some point tonight.

Dunno if anyone's mentioned it yet, but the Jim James solo joint is on NPR First Listen. I wasn't super hyped on it when it was announced, but I love it after a couple listens.

From the above interview:

SF: I don't really blame anybody, because if I saw the "San Francisco" video, I'd probably be like, "That guy looks like a fucking clown idiot imbecile asshole, what the fuck is going on there? This sucks-- it just sounds like some 60s bullshit and looks like Wes Anderson." But that's the point. We're trying to bring a little fun, a little color.

lolz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom