Random Music Talk LXXV: Party at Pappy's Snatch Palace

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Booooooooooo.

Stop referencing him in the random thread titles. Shit is lame. He feeds off this shit. He probably jerks off to these thread titles. Are we really trying to make cobbler's life happier?

Please nobody explain the name of the thread. There's no way it can live up to whatever I imagine it to mean

Booooooooooo.

Stop referencing him in the random thread titles. Shit is lame. He feeds off this shit. He probably jerks off to these thread titles. Are we really trying to make cobbler's life happier?

I was going to go with "This thread is too fucking," but I wasn't sure the mods would appreciate that as a thread title.

Booooooooooo.

I do find it funny that I keep getting referenced in the titles. That number would now surely outweigh the number I've made.

"Too Fucking" would have been perfect though.

edit- so I second-guessed myself a bit remembering there was a 2012 Best Albums thread, but it turns out you nerds were running a contest

I didn't pay attention to all of last thread, but I did a quick search of it and nothing came up, so.....

Pazz and Jop 2012 is out.

I'm glad "Climax" got recognition at #3 it was #3 on P4K's list as well so I guess it was the safe third place vote

I was going to go with "This thread is too fucking," but I wasn't sure the mods would appreciate that as a thread title.

"Too fucking to title this" was going to be my contribution.

Maybe next time, but it'll be played by then.

This might be missed in a casual scan of the list:

The last meta-analysis we do is a similarity matrix. This process identifies similar albums and similar songs by voter overlap, and similar ballots and voters by album/song/artist overlap. In some ways, this is actually the most interesting view of the poll's data, as it identifies voting patterns that are not otherwise readily apparent. It reveals, for example, that the voters for Frank Ocean, Kendrick Lamar, Fiona Apple, Japandroids, and Miguel overlap substantially in all directions (more than usual for a top five), but Tame Impala at #6 has a different faction (who also like War on Drugs, Cut Copy, Cloud Nothings, and Beach House), as do Swans at #7 (Godspeed You! Black Emperor, El-P, Baroness, and Spiritualized) and Grimes at #9 (Beach House, Andy Stott, Laurel Halo, Julia Holter, and Scott Walker). This analysis includes all data from 2008 to 2012, so we see, among other things, that the most similar album to Taylor Swift's Red is her own 2010 album, Speak Now, but that there are actually 11 other albums more similar to Red, by voter overlap, than Swift's Fearless.

I want to look more into this, but it doesn't look like it's part of the main stats page

This is the shirt on Ript today, I am amused.

casualties-of-wars-detail_46515_cached_thumb_-928107ac47da4bc345a3edd84ac43cf3.jpg

The mods (perhaps begrudgingly) didn't object to the Fucking, Austria Superthread a few years ago, so I think it would've been fine. The only times I can recall severe mod disapproval for thread titles have been those featuring "cunt". So Cobbler can't ever make Cobbler's Thread for Mad Shit Cunts.

Was that the word the mods freaked out over? I thought it was fuck, but i'm remembering it being that situation now.

Was that the word the mods freaked out over? I thought it was fuck, but i'm remembering it being that situation now.

Yeah, I definitely recall a Superthread where the place name translated to "fire cunt" and the mods took the translation out of the thread title.

I think it's been objected to in another context too, but I can't recall exactly what now.

The mods (perhaps begrudgingly) didn't object to the Fucking, Austria Superthread a few years ago, so I think it would've been fine. The only times I can recall severe mod disapproval for thread titles have been those featuring "cunt". So Cobbler can't ever make Cobbler's Thread for Mad Shit Cunts.

I'd probably use "Mad Sick Cunts".

Shouter saw the Mad Sick Cunts open for Sex Church in an abandoned Burger King in Palo Alto back in '89.

Please nobody explain the name of the thread. There's no way it can live up to whatever I imagine it to mean

Hey man, seriously, shut up.

You should have.

edit- so I second-guessed myself a bit remembering there was a 2012 Best Albums thread, but it turns out you nerds were running a contest

I didn't pay attention to all of last thread, but I did a quick search of it and nothing came up, so.....

Pazz and Jop 2012 is out.

I'm glad "Climax" got recognition at #3 it was #3 on P4K's list as well so I guess it was the safe third place vote

Shut up.

This might be missed in a casual scan of the list:

I want to look more into this, but it doesn't look like it's part of the main stats page

Hey man.
Shouter saw the Mad Sick Cunts open for Sex Church in an abandoned Burger King in Palo Alto back in '89.

This is a great post.

Pazz & Jop should prob have its own thread, or maybe people don't give much of a fuck anymore. It goes without saying that Christgau's accompanying essays are sorely missed. His unceremonious dismissal is a black spot on that publication's record.

Anyway, if I can return to Zeppelin for a moment, one harder track that is definitely among my favorites is Achilles' Last Stand. Bonham's drumming on that is out of this world.

Lastly, nice work on the thread title, DB. That's how it's done.

Regarding P&J, I'm in shock that The Boss placed right above Dylan, not to mention followed by Taylor Swift. And that Dylan placed so low considering the reception of Modern Times.

Funny that Cat Power is right outside the Top 20 as she was in our poll.

Nice to see an impressive showing for Dirty Proj.

THE COFF!

Laz's earlier post about Zep rings true for me....if I really think about, the bulk of my favorites are slower songs. "That's the Way" gets better and better for me with each listen, etc.

And, also agreed with Laz re: "Fuck the Strokes". Ugh.

Laz might be drunk.

All, I had a fantastic steak tonight at dinner with a few friends. You needed to know.

imager.php

I didn't end up sharing my thoughts, but Physical Graffiti was pretty solid. The A side was strong, B side is ridiculous with hits, C Side was my favorite by leaps and bounds and the D side was where it kind of got a little weaker, didn't really enjoy those songs as much as anything else on the album by comparison.

Track listing for those too lazy to see which is which:

A1Custard Pie 4:20
A2The Rover 5:54
A3In My Time of Dying 11:08

B1Houses of the Holy 4:01
B2Trampled Under Foot 5:38
B3Kashmir 9:41

C1In the Light 8:46
C2Bron-Yr-Aur 2:07
C3Down by the Seaside 5:15
C4Ten Years Gone 6:55

D1Night Flight 3:37
D2The Wanton Song 4:10
D3Boogie With Stu 3:45
D4Black Country Woman 4:30
D5Sick Again 4:40

I love having almost their entire discography on vinyl for some reason (not liking it for some reason, I mean, I'm still not sure how I ended up with so many of their records)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom