Random Music Talk LXXV: Party at Pappy's Snatch Palace

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Medium+Rare+Stake.jpg

On some colder nights I wonder if I should have bought sweatpants. But at the end of the day that money was probably better spent on some soulful booze.

Is the formatting of the left side of the forum looking weird to anyone else this morning (on PC / Mac)?

Is the formatting of the left side of the forum looking weird to anyone else this morning (on PC / Mac)?

Yes. The whole message board has seemed off since yesterday morning. I use Firefox, but I had to switch to fucking Internet Explorer yesterday for a while to even view a thread.

I could use Chrome, but I'm not nearly cool enough for that.

The site has only worked on iPad for me for the last few days. So yeah, I would say they are having some technical difficulties at the moment.

Also, requiring someone to use Internet Explorer should be some kind of crime.

I associate the songs "Keeping the Faith" by Billy Joel and "Jammin Me" by Tom Petty for two reasons:

1) Joe Piscapo
2) I can not figure out why, of all the other minor hits they have, I hear these two song so-ooo frequently.

So El Mel, no thoughts on your recent listen of Brighten The Corners?

What did I say before, that it was a sort of career retrospective that didn't break as much ground as the first three? I will still say that is true, to some degree. I'm not sure if that's a bad thing now though. The digressions on Slanted and Enchanted/Crooked Rain are part of what make them such charming records, but they aren't essential to my enjoyment. Brighten the Corners lacks a 5-4=Unity to really knock you back on your heels, but its songwriting is extremely consistent and shows maturity.

If I have any complaints, it's that the album is much stronger at either end, with a weak middle. Stereo, Shady Lane and Date with IKEA are my favorite tracks and they're all up front, and Starlings of the Slipstream and Fin are no slouches either, holding up the back. Not much from the middle has broken through for me yet.

Man, how fucking good is Pop? The opening trio in particular is a real trip. I can see why the Hive eats this up with two spoons.

Man, how fucking good is Pop? The opening trio in particular is a real trip. I can see why the Hive eats this up with two spoons.

:up: i was thinking the same thing reading those survivor threads. I love every song on that album, Playboy Mansion and Miami included. It helps that it was the soundtrack of my summer when I was 19...

The more I think back on it though, the more disturbing the "Pop is undercooked" thing becomes. Listen to this motherfucker on headphones. They don't have a busier album. The only thing they could have done is re-write the whole thing, which would have taken far longer than "a few more more months." It would have been impossible to listen to had they further tweaked what we have. On IGWSHA, it sounds like every piece of Larry's kit was panned to a specific channel. Crazy shit.

Edge is at his most adventurous on here too. There are no less than four different guitar effects used on SATS.

I walked into best buy, couldn't find what I had originally gone in there for, but walked around aimlessly looking at stuff for a few minutes longer because just as I was about to leave the store, thunder road started playing and I had to wait til it was over.

There are about 14 different versions of thunder road on my iPod, but I'll be damned if I'm walking out of a store where the studio version is playing, apparently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom