Random Music Talk LXXIII: Mayan Apocalyspe Never Tear Us Apart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not funny. Thanks, though.

Now, ladies and gentlemen, what Cobbler attempted here is called "A Joke". As a novice, he went for the tried and true route of comically inflating a known character trait of the individual he was harpooning. It was a nice effort, though a bit off the mark. 4/10.

Par for the course. #toughcrowd #notasfunnynowivesoberedup

And, Mofo, for the same reason as the above post (pretty much) I just spent the last 20 minutes listening to VNV Nation Tracks. This is...good good shit.

Good! I actually continued listening to that album, Automatic, quite a bit through 2012. Definitely my favorite album of theirs in quite a while. The songs Space and Time, Resolution, Control, and Nova are all crazily good.

They have a pretty solid back catalog too.

I'm going to spoiler it in case there are any other fans here:

Downton Abbey

That show went off the rails during Season 2, at least for me. I'll go fire up the google machine and find out what happened to upset so many Americans. A few of my Facebook friends were grumbling about this as well so you are not alone, Yuppie von Iron.

So, Laz, I just went looking back in last year's B&C Best Albums thread to see who all voted, and I just watched the video to that Stricken City track.

I may have to listen to that album, soon.

This is pretty much better than any Christmas gift I could have received.

Def worth checking out.

So the Achtung Birdie vinyl box set I bitched about last year was one of my Christmas gifts. I'm giving it its first spin right now and good fucking gravy, gang. As much as I "dread" new shit from them, it's still easily my GOAT. And this pressing sounds so, so good.

I just got done watching s1 of that show, and have seen lots of dismayed non-spoilery reactions online about some news that came out.

Oh dear.

Time for me to get going on season 2.

So the Achtung Birdie vinyl box set I bitched about last year was one of my Christmas gifts. I'm giving it its first spin right now and good fucking gravy, gang. As much as I "dread" new shit from them, it's still easily my GOAT. And this pressing sounds so, so good.
One of these days I'm going to hear a vinyl album.

I just got done watching s1 of that show, and have seen lots of dismayed non-spoilery reactions online about some news that came out.

Oh dear.

I really really enjoyed Season 1. Season 2, for me, turned into a true (and often ridiculous) soap opera instead of bordering on one. IY will patiently explain why I'm wrong, surely, but that was my take. No idea how good or bad S3 is.

This all being said, I hope you enjoy Season 2!

I really really enjoyed Season 1. Season 2, for me, turned into a true (and often ridiculous) soap opera instead of bordering on one. IY will patiently explain why I'm wrong, surely, but that was my take. No idea how good or bad S3 is.

I have to say, while I liked s1 well enough, I didn't think it was that great, which was a bit of a let down after seeing so many people rave about it for the past year or so.

You certainly could, Imps.

After wondering why the hell half of the songs / albums I've listened to recently weren't scrobbling on Last FM, I finally found a thread in the Help section about the incredibly prevalent issue where "new" albums (some dating back to October) aren't scrobbling for a huge amount of people. No updates from the site about what's going on in weeks. They still haven't even fixed the issue where listening to a CD in iTunes with the Last FM client will crash iTunes after every track on Macs. That's been happening for nearly a full year. Sometimes I get the feeling Last FM is going to disappear in the near future. :(

OK, I assumed that was the show you all were talking about based on the trillions of news reports I saw yesterday. And I was just about to start following that show, too.

But they kind of do. A younger Boner, the hot one from the mid-/late 80s.

Totally, esp. Eve.

I just realized This Must Be the Place is finally playing here so I'm going to see it this afternoon.

Oh dear.

I really enjoyed season 2, for whatever it's worth. From a historical standpoint, I think that it is extremely well-done and makes some poignant statements about what it meant to live in the pre-modern era.

I don't think you're wrong; that is certainly a valid criticism. But, for me at least,

the drama of season 2 was rooted in historicity, especially in terms of how unflinchingly they portrayed World War 1 and its effects on all levels of society. The suffering was realistic rather than melodramatic. That was also true for some of season 3, but certainly not in terms of the event that has made me so disappointed. That was drama for the sheer sake of drama.

this latest plot point was a tad over the top.

This was basically the equivalent of what happened:

Do you have something to say, Poochie?

Yes, I certainly do! I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Note: Poochie died on the way back to his home planet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom