Random Music Talk LXX: Original Theatrical Version

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
EdVed is easliy worth $90

I've gotten four wrong number calls from Puerto Rico in the last half hour, with voicemails. Except they're in Spanish, so I have no idea what she's on about.

The widow of the King of Puerto Rico and her son have $13million US they just need a place to safely get it out of their country, so just call tem back with your bank acount number and they'll let you keep $2million once they have safely escaped the dictatorship of Perto rico and can re-establish themselves in the US.

I still haven't listened to the avocado or backspacer

Backspacer had some cool songs, I actually bought it after the concert because I enjoyed it live. I've heard most all of their recent albums in a friend's car, as he's a huge fan, and it was probably the first one since their albums from the '90's I actually found things I enjoyed. Probably haven't listened to it since a week or two after the show though, but yeah.

Oh, i most certainly am. A bunch of friends are still big fans though, so I went with them. It was a good show

Ah, same situation as me then. I seem to notice most people our age who were in high school or college through the height of the period don't look back on it fondly. Most of my friends who are still big Pearl Jam, or other grunge bands, fans are 4 or more years younger.

a slab of beer

I laughed.

Louis CK is on SNL tonight, yous guys

It was good.

The only Eddie Murphy song I could remember was "Boogie In Your Butt."

My girl likes to party all the time, party all the time, paaaaaarty all the tiiiiimmmmmmee. Wasn't Rick James actually in that video?

they probably call it slabbo

I laughed again.

If I made a "favorite music videos of 2012" thread, would any of you post in it? I always feel like I see fewer and fewer music videos each year, so I'm sure I miss a lot of cool ones.

I thought she said Eddie MURPHY. But I knew that couldn't be right, because that's not even a question.

Joyful wants to party all the time, party all the time, party all the tiiiiiime!

This is what I was thinking yesterday when I was scrubbing bird shit off the flagstone, putting together my new log rack, and unloading pinon from the trunk and stacking it on the new log rack. #adultshit

On the other hand, pinon!!!! :love:

Feel like I can start a thousand books. Only seem to finish 100 :(

This. I have to read a lot of books for my job and finally had to give myself permission to not finish the things that I'm not that into. It was a life-changing revelation.

Also, I woke up this morning with a bad case of FOMO, thinking I should go to that Eddie VEDDER show. But I probably won't. And no, we don't have to keep talking about it.

Today I'm going to catch up on music. Like that Dirty Projectors CD I bought a couple of months ago and still haven't listened to.

Oh shit, I didn't realize until now that Glen Hansard was opening for Vedder. That makes it really worth it to me and now the good seats are gone. :grumpy:

I think Pearl Jam and Oasis are quite similar in so far as they both made their careers on pastiche: Oasis by aping The Beatles and The Stone Roses and Pearl Jam by aping The Who, Neil Young, Zeppelin, etc. I like both bands, but I don't think that they collectively have ever had an original musical thought.

Pearl Jam does get accused of this pretty often and while they're certainly far from being an "original" band, they did have some interesting experimentation (by their standards) on albums like No Code and Binaural. Some pretty cool songs came out of it. And the fact that Vedder's voice was painfully imitated countless times after the fact. Stone Gossard's weird tuning on many songs is also something that I consider to be unique to their sound.

So I wouldn't go that far and compare them to Oasis. But in any case, originality means nothing to me if I don't like the music.

Pearl Jam's legacy will always be their live act, anyway. I am not much of a fan of theirs, but I am
quite familiar with the lore of their live show.

On the other hand, pinon!!!! :love:

:heart: Waft some of that lovely scent this way, please!

I'll be joining the "new" car brigade hopefully by the end of the month. I am very excited. My Saturn was a good little car and has served me well, but I am more than ready to bid her a fond farewell.

I've been spending time going back and spending time listening to 2012 albums (and those from 2011 I didn't spend enough time with). I'm on a trend of listening to full albums, which is a nice turn of events. I spend too much time on the iPod shuffle parade, which just burns up my fading battery.

Wasn't Rick James actually in that video?

I think he played the producer while Eddie Murphy was in the recording booth. Lots of smiling at one another

If I made a "favorite music videos of 2012" thread, would any of you post in it? I always feel like I see fewer and fewer music videos each year, so I'm sure I miss a lot of cool ones.

I'm not even sure how many I've seen, but it's sad that music videos are becoming a bit of a dying art. I'd definitely appreciate a thread like this

I think he played the producer while Eddie Murphy was in the recording booth. Lots of smiling at one another.

Yes. I actually watched the whole thing last night, since it was stuck in my head.

It's all LeMel's fault for even mentioning Eddie Murphy.

Yes. I actually watched the whole thing last night, since it was stuck in my head.

As did I. That video is priceless. If we were going to make a time capsule and have only one item in it to represent the 80s, that video would have to be it.

Everything about that Eddie Murphy song and video seriously cracks me up. And probably not in a good way.

I'm not even sure how many I've seen, but it's sad that music videos are becoming a bit of a dying art. I'd definitely appreciate a thread like this

Agreed on this. I'm always happy in this day and age when I see people out there still making really entertaining, intriguing, weird, creative videos.

I'd definitely post in there/read through/watch those videos, yes. And I see it's up now, so off to watch and search at some point!

As for the other stuff in this thread to catch up on...

Did I ever tell you guys about the time I saw Pearl Jam in Toronto and fucking Bono got up on stage for the encore? It was awesome

This is the biggest reason I'm cool with Eddie Vedder and Pearl Jam. Bono, Tom Petty, the Finn brothers...they've hung out with some of my favorite artists over the years. So that alone gets them in my good book.

And I do like Pearl Jam's music, too, at least, the songs I've heard by them.

I've never really had a sweet tooth or been a big candy person, but I do fucking love Starburst. And I recently purchased some Starburst "Gummibursts" and they're delicious.

Starbursts' FavaReds are my thing. I am so addicted to those it's ridiculous.

I think said this a few rmts ago, but summertime blues is such a great song. Gave up on pandora, it's an Eddie Cochran, Buddy Holly, Gene Vincent kinda night.

1, yes, that song is awesome.
2, sounds like a fine music playlist to me :up:.

So I've been listening to some Dylan albums recently, and I struck by a few things:

1. The albums as a whole are so much richer than any collection of his songs I have yet heard.

2. My favorite track off each album I have heard is not one of the "hits" or usual suspects. Ballad of a Thin Man, Meet Me in the Morning, One More Cup of Coffee...these are all brilliant tracks that for whatever reason are overshadowed by cuts like Tangled up in Blue or Like a Rolling Stone.

So I've been listening to some Dylan albums recently, and I struck by a few things:

1. The albums as a whole are so much richer than any collection of his songs I have yet heard.

2. My favorite track off each album I have heard is not one of the "hits" or usual suspects. Ballad of a Thin Man, Meet Me in the Morning, One More Cup of Coffee...these are all brilliant tracks that for whatever reason are overshadowed by cuts like Tangled up in Blue or Like a Rolling Stone.

:up:

My fav tracks on Highway 61 are Queen Jane Approximately and Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues, and from Blood on the Tracks it's You're A Big Girl Now and Simple Twist of Fate.

Funnily enough, I probably like outtake Positively 4th Street better than anything on the actual album. Don't know what Dylan was thinking leaving that off. And the version of If You See Her, Say Hello from the original New York sessions destroys the re-recorded one from Minneapolis. Would probably be my favorite on there.

Meanwhile I played Amnesiac for the first time in like two years. My opinion of it hasn't really changed, though I've exaggerated my dislike for it.

Pyramid Song is just about as good as it gets, and Packt, Life in a Glasshouse and Dollars and Cents are all great songs.

The rest? Pulk/Pull is like an inferior version of Kid A's title track, likewise Morning Bell and its Kid A version. I Might Be Wrong has a great riff but the vocals do nothing. Knives Out is okay, as is You and Whose Army. I'll take Treefingers over Hunting Bears.

It's good once it finally kicks into gear but yeah, it doesn't do much for me.

Forgot to add Like Spinning Plates, which is amazing live, but not so on the record.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom