Random Music Talk LXVIII: Antipodean Sporting Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A devilish seasoned salt that completely ruins deep-fried chips.
what

i don't put it on chips (well, fries) though. i like it on baked chicken. sounds crazy but i think white meat is pretty bland on its own and i hate dark meat, so a tiny sprinkle gives it some flavour.

for fries though it's seasoned salt all the way, or just regular old salt.

The ecstatic start to the final portion of Zooropa might be my favorite musical moment. Like, ever.

Agreed. I almost couldn't handle it live on the last tour.

God Put A Smile Upon Your Face. It was probably the most suitable song of the set but it's still beyond ridiculous.

:lmao:

Wow. Beyond ridiculous, and so, so lame.

YES. Many times. I love moments like that.

The best part is when I'm hearing a song for the first time, and there will be a part that actually makes me literally stop what I'm doing and focus all of my attention on that song. Generally, if I'm exploring more music from an artist, if a moment like that comes up, that pretty much confirms that I HAVE to hear more from that person or band. Usually those people get added to my "favorite artists" list, and songs that make me have that kind of reaction tend to wind up being my favorite ones from those people.

I've always been partial to the slowed down, "yeaaaaaaah..." segueing into the "Hey, hey, hey, HEY!" bit, myself. Like you said, ridiculous, but awesome song nonetheless-it practically forces you to start dancing, like an involuntary movement or something.

I'm glad people understood what I meant :lol:. Yes, it's awesome when something like that happens in a song you're hearing for the first time. It's also amazing what just a few notes of music can do.

As for "Superfreak", I'm also partial to the ridiculous saxophone solo at the end.
Yes! Certainly!
Those songs where you have those moments and every time you hear the song you know that when that particular section starts it raises the hairs on your back. And even though you know it's supposed to be a hair-raising moment, it does succeed every time.
Though, for the life of me, I cannot come up with an example at the moment. :huh: At least, for a song in English, I do have some examples of Dutch songs, most of you wouldn't know them (or understand the lyrics).

I wish I could think of more examples, because I know that I have more and that I have some that I like more than the ones I mentioned.
Tons, but ones that immediately come to mind are the guitar in KC Accidental, the outros of Weird Fishes, All I Need and Reckoner.

:)

"There once was a note, pure and easy
Playing so free, like a breath rippling by
The note is eternal, I hear it, it sees me
Forever we blend and forever we die"

The whole song is sublime, incredible (etc) but when Roger
hit's the second for-ev-ver... he takes the "ev" and sings a higher note there in the middle and omg 41 years i still get the (good kind of) chills upon listening to it or even "replaying" it in my head.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Just one little syllable of a word can be your favorite part of a song. It's awesome.

Late to the party, but yes, I totally know what you mean. I love the little moments that make you just damned happy about music. :)

It's hard to think of such moments but I know exactly what you mean. Yes, music is awesome.

It's interesting you bring up The Who, dazzledbylight, because I get the feeling Lifehouse was pretty much Ashley's concept writ large.

I wonder what it would have been like, what the reaction would have been, if it eventuated for real back in the early 70s.

NYMag talks about Grizzly Bear, with the subtext of the health of the music industry. Despite selling out Radio City Music Hall, they all still live in their same apartments, some don't have health insurance, etc.

and the music industry

Since 2008, there have been 66 No. 1 songs, and six artists are behind almost half of them. (In 1986, there were 31 No. 1 songs by 29 different people). Here, the six who dominate.

Flo Rida
Rihanna
Lady Gaga
Black Eyed Peas
Adele
Katy Perry

with a breakdown of what normal costs may be. They go on to give a benchmark for what artists may get for airing music on a teen cable drama (10k), an indie movie (5k), a blockbuster (20k), a commercial campaign (100-300k), etc.

ZOMG that article mentions Shuttlecock and The Unforgettable Liar!!

I'm still having a hard time believing that a band that sells albums in the hundreds of thousands, sells songs to major corporations, and sells out mid-level venues across the country can't afford health insurance. Regardless of who gets a cut of the pie.

That's just fucking bullshit.

In Obama's America, no Pitchfork artist will have to go without health insurance.

Using the "Indie Four-Piece" band breakdown as a proxy for Grizzly Bear, they're looking at ~$126,000 a year, which is easily twice as much as the median American household. They'll have to self-finance the health insurance, but their job allows them to live virtually anywhere, not just New York City.

I'm still on a Bjork kick, you guys. Making my way through the Family Tree collection tonight.

I'm glad people understood what I meant :lol:. Yes, it's awesome when something like that happens in a song you're hearing for the first time. It's also amazing what just a few notes of music can do.

As for "Superfreak", I'm also partial to the ridiculous saxophone solo at the end.

I like that we got people to talk about such a thing :). I would love to list my own examples but I feel I'd be here a while if I did. Maybe I'll try and think of some specific ones, though. But yeah, agreed-that's one of the reasons I love music so much. The emotions and images and memories that one song can evoke...just incredible that it can have such power like that.

Ooh, yes, also a great moment. I enjoy it when stuff like that randomly pops up in a song, 'cause you know someone somewhere just shrugged and was like, "Yeah, why NOT, let's throw that in there and see what happens. Whee!"

Agreed with the comments on Coldplay moshing, too. "God Put A Smile..." is definitely an energetic song live, but I've never once equated that band with moshing. The idea of fans doing that is kind of hilarious. But, hey, whatever gets you going, I guess.

Just the mere thought of someone suggesting that the song Superfreak was a good idea makes me smile.

This is a topic that I'd like to keep discussing. Great idea.

I'll nominate the moment the sax kicks in on Midnight City. Takes an already 15/10 song into the stratosphere.

I have finally procured Darkness on the Edge of Town. I now own three Bruce albums and given that it followed Born to Run and came six years before USA, which I don't really like, I have high hopes.

The ecstatic start to the final portion of Zooropa might be my favorite musical moment. Like, ever.

if you mean -when they almost halt most of the music and then suddenly dive sonically in with .... "and I have no compass, and I have no map....' etc?
if so.... hell, yeah! Amazing...

well Zooropa is in my top 10 U2 songs , maybe even top 5 ( it shifts abit here & there) . As well as being in my top 15 or 10 alltime R&R songs

I was soooooo happy to catch it twice in '11 360. I got chills finding out they'd started to play it!

I'll nominate the moment the sax kicks in on Midnight City. Takes an already 15/10 song into the stratosphere.

Agreed. But every time I hear it now, I see Bill Clinton on the Arsenio Hall show. Thanks for that.

:) .......

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Just one little syllable of a word can be your favorite part of a song. It's awesome.

cool, thanks. :wave:

Music & singing................... wow........
what a blessing!

His wife. And LM's life is in jeopardy, murdered in cold blood is what he's gonna be. He hasn't been home since Friday night, and now she's coming after him.

Or so I've heard.

nielsgov said:
It's hard to think of such moments but I know exactly what you mean. Yes, music is awesome.

This. Although I came up with a handful of who moments while driving to the mall to find a new coffee maker.

if youd read the thread youd know that answer cobbler im so mad at you its ridiculous why dont you read its so annoying and im so frustrated with your life style choices seriously ima punch you so hard and you will cry and I will laugh and smile and then people will high five me and there will be a rainbow

Ah. I think in your anger that didn't come across as clearly as it could have :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom