Random Music Talk LXVIII: Antipodean Sporting Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do any of you have like, single moments in songs that just stab you right in the heart with emotion? I'm not sure I'm getting through what I'm trying to say. There are certain songs that will have just one note, or a few words that, the way they're sung/played make them some of my favorite moments ever.

YES. Many times. I love moments like that.

The best part is when I'm hearing a song for the first time, and there will be a part that actually makes me literally stop what I'm doing and focus all of my attention on that song. Generally, if I'm exploring more music from an artist, if a moment like that comes up, that pretty much confirms that I HAVE to hear more from that person or band. Usually those people get added to my "favorite artists" list, and songs that make me have that kind of reaction tend to wind up being my favorite ones from those people.

I was reminded of this tonight while I was listening to the Prince station on Pandora and "Superfreak" came on. For some reason, the part where he goes, "She's all right, she's all right" will get me to listen to that song all the way through every time, despite how ridiculous a song it is.

I've always been partial to the slowed down, "yeaaaaaaah..." segueing into the "Hey, hey, hey, HEY!" bit, myself. Like you said, ridiculous, but awesome song nonetheless-it practically forces you to start dancing, like an involuntary movement or something.

Also, Reggo, so happy to hear that news about a place to stay. I was thinking about you after your comments in the last thread, so good on those people for fighting on your behalf and being able to help you and your family out :) :hug:. Hope all continues to go well on that front.

At wedding, and slightly tipsy. People are pressuring me to sing a U2 song, probably AIWIY, as the bride and groom are big fans of the band.

I'll have to drink a bit more. Stay tuned.

Bust out Do You Feel Loved instead. :wink:

Do any of you have like, single moments in songs that just stab you right in the heart with emotion? I'm not sure I'm getting through what I'm trying to say. There are certain songs that will have just one note, or a few words that, the way they're sung/played make them some of my favorite moments ever.

Yes! Certainly!
Those songs where you have those moments and every time you hear the song you know that when that particular section starts it raises the hairs on your back. And even though you know it's supposed to be a hair-raising moment, it does succeed every time.
Though, for the life of me, I cannot come up with an example at the moment. :huh: At least, for a song in English, I do have some examples of Dutch songs, most of you wouldn't know them (or understand the lyrics).

For some reason I think I know it as well, think maybe some years ago saw someone use it in a thread.
You're old, though. You probably know everything, like the secret to the universe.

fly_screen_640.jpg

Crisis averted. They made their grand entrance to the hall to All Because of You, and their first dance was an All I Want Is You/Beautiful Day combo.

I feel like I can have a thousand drinks, guys.

Also, fuck chicken salt. English fish n chippies FTW.

Yes. Chicken salt is awful. I have no idea why people like to ruin chips with it.

How'd your night end up?

I still don't know what sport you guys are talking about. It probably sucks though. :wink:

Incorrect.

Wow.

Do any of you have like, single moments in songs that just stab you right in the heart with emotion?

Tons, but ones that immediately come to mind are the guitar in KC Accidental, the outros of Weird Fishes, All I Need and Reckoner.

PhilsFan said:
I actually, for reasons beyond me, think I know IWB's name. I have no idea where I would have gotten it from.

I blame streetlight manifesto.

nielsgov said:
I've seen people mosh at a Coldplay show...

"yeahhhhhhhhh it's trouble! Rwarrrrrrrrrrr! Rock on bro!" :hifive:

I'd totally do that if I could be caught alive at a Coldplay show. Never going to happen.

Think this makes 4.

I've been listening to Husker Du and Sugar a lot lately. Divide and Conquer is amazing.

Need to listen to Silver Age some more but glad to hear this - still boggles the mind how Husker Du managed to make two near perfect albums in a single year, and even more mind boggling is that Zen Arcade was right before them.

I know it's tough to tell by their name.

The AFL also has other great clubs like the Port Adelaide Cupcakes and the Melbourne Rainbow Puppies.

Shame we can't have great mascots like "Chargers", "Patriots" and, er, "Redskins".

A devilish seasoned salt that completely ruins deep-fried chips.

Also it's made out of ground up beak and legs or something.

i could have sworn i'd posted in Random Music Talk a few days ago, but either the previous thread is further back than i thot or the sometimes iffy signal i got blinked out and my post never got in! :der:

must scan this thread now more often since it can cover all the bads that don't have their own thread. :up:

Bust out Do You Feel Loved instead. :wink:
:lol:

and glad crisis was averted!

Do any of you have like, single moments in songs that just stab you right in the heart with emotion? I'm not sure I'm getting through what I'm trying to say. There are certain songs that will have just one note, or a few words that, the way they're sung/played make them some of my favorite moments ever. ...

oh yeah! a long waaay back... i have on original casette tape that i recorded at (snuck bulky recorder into) Forest Hills Stadium (nyc, Queens) and have reccently discovered on YT someone uploaded the bootleg ...
of The Who - July 29th, 1971/Who's Next Tour ....
... almost sure the only tour/time the played the song Pure & Easy (Life House project)

"There once was a note, pure and easy
Playing so free, like a breath rippling by
The note is eternal, I hear it, it sees me
Forever we blend and forever we die"

The whole song is sublime, incredible (etc) but when Roger
hit's the second for-ev-ver... he takes the "ev" and sings a higher note there in the middle and omg 41 years i still get the (good kind of) chills upon listening to it or even "replaying" it in my head.

And 2 from our guys -
The 2 repeats of cascading guitar notes in IGC ... after you just hear Adam's bass and maybe a bit of drums... Bono calls out "Edge" and then that happens. woaah!

Since they are partly singing about the American SW Desert, and I''ve been in the high desert of Arizona twice...
There's a sacred mountin called Agatha a few miles before Monument Valley that suddenly appears over the horizon (look it up, i'm sure you'll be impressed).

I had to ask my friend who was driving to please stop so I could take a few photos....... well, that's one of the images that almost sprang up of it's own volition upon hearin those notes the first and subsequence times, plus riding through those highways with cystaline air and amazing rock formations and colors all there before us!

And in NLOTH (the song) when they sing the final chorus of "No line on...." they usually (and it's recorded) sing it in partlyhigher notes. I feel like I'm lifted up and go sailing blissfully through the the sky towards some wonderous destination!

ETA different topic

is it a :der: or a :reject: momement ....

or not :wink:

That i have confused The Pixies and Love & Rockets?

My radio didn't always ID songs or I'd miss them...

The one song i really know and i love by the Pixies is
"This Monkey's Gone To Heaven"

The ecstatic start to the final portion of Zooropa might be my favorite musical moment. Like, ever.

HeartlandGirl said:
I'm right there with you on All I Need. And the intro to Videotape.

Oh yeah. That's why I love In Rainbows so much - I'm not sure there's any album by anyone that grabs me emotionally as that one.

:confused:
Which song? I hope it was The Scientist.
God Put A Smile Upon Your Face. It was probably the most suitable song of the set but it's still beyond ridiculous.

Oh yeah. That's why I love In Rainbows so much - I'm not sure there's any album by anyone that grabs me emotionally as that one.
If there's one song on that album that absolutely captivates me, then it's Nude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom