Random Music Talk LXVII: All the First-World Problems You Can Handle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So we're sitting here having dinner, and the opening bars of Wish You Were Here come on Pandora. My girlfriend replies, "is this The Eagles?"

I may have to reconsider my relationship.

iron yuppie said:
So we're sitting here having dinner, and the opening bars of Wish You Were Here come on Pandora. My girlfriend replies, "is this The Eagles?"

That's like confusing gold and gonorrhea.

I'm listening to his recently released live set (The Return Of The Spectacular Spinning Songbook!) as I see these posts. Coincidence? Nah, Elvis is just awesome and he gets a regular playing at my house.

As for suggestions, here are some albums to check out
This Year's Model
Get Happy!!
Imperial Bedroom
Blood & Chocolate
When I Was Cruel

And some more excellent Elvis songs:
New Amsterdam
Brilliant Mistake
Beyond Belief
Accidents Will Happen
Radio, Radio
Shipbuilding

Was hoping you'd pop up in here :D. Yeah, cobl, if you need any more help regarding Elvis Costello, go to this guy. He is the expert :yes:.

Meanwhile I am getting reacquainted with Mylo Xyloto, and I still love it.

I do, too. Just a fun, bright pop album.

:der:

Oh, dear.

Does she know about this place, may I ask?

She knows that I frequent a music forum, but not the exact one. It wouldn't be so bad if I hadn't been going on in front of her for the better part of five years about how much I love Floyd. :lol:

We're DIIV; we're from New York.

P.S. Our album is not for sale.

:lol:!

I'm pretty sure DIIV only knew three phrases. The other was "Thank you, Wild Nothing."

Dude in the white hat and glasses is having the time of his life. :lol: And am I wrong, or is he singing into a sodding corndog?

Yes! And Yes he is most certainly singing into a corndog. I almost didn't believe it at first, but then I saw the guy in the crowd EATING a corn dog.

Relatively cheap for touring international acts here unfortunately.

I paid $75 to see Passion Pit in a shit venue off the back of the EP and Manners.

Are Animal Collective worth paying $70 to see live?

I can get a decent seat for about $38 to their Hollywood Bowl show, but I'd be going alone. No one else I know really likes them all that much, and all I really know is MPP.

But I did catch most of their set in '08 at All Points West festival in NY/NJ and I really enjoyed them. But then I missed them at Coachella '11 because I was drinking in the beer garden.

I'm still undecided.

My friend also offered me her extra ticket to The Killers at a super, tiny venue in Hollywood, but I really only like the first Killers album and then most of the 3rd one. I heard the new one on the iTunes free stream and it sounded bad to me.

Decisions, decisions.

I won't pay $40 to see Animal Collective here, but that's because it's at a shitty venue with a horrendous parking and traffic situation 45 minutes outside of town. $40 in the city? I'd be all over it. $75 though? That's about my Radiohead Only level. Probably the National too.

They are indeed wonderful live though. I may end up caving, especially considering I'm selling my Beach House/Walkmen ticket to get paid to see Fiona.

I paid like $125 a ticket to see Bruce Springsteen the other night, but he's one of about 5-10 artists I would pay $75+ for. I'm sure you can imagine that AC isn't among them.

They also haven't played My Girls since 2009, according to setlist.fm. That's pretty douchey of them. If I had a critically-acclaimed calling card song, I would at least play it once every couple of years.

Hi, all! Santa Fe is awesome. Joyful and I visited Abiquiu (aka Georgia O'Keeffe country) and took a hike.

Or ... you could say ... we did TAKE A WALK! TAKE A WALK!

We've listened to the Passion Pit record three times in the past two days. It's aces.

That's why I didn't include them. They'd still top $75 for me, but I know I'll get a GA for $50. On the other end, $250 or even $95 for seats is ludicrous to me.

lazarus said:
Funny that you still pay significantly less to see Shuttlecock from the best spots.

Not in this country.

I think the only B&C-certified act I've seen for less than $70 would be Broken Social Scene. They were $45 and put on a phenomenal show. So glad I picked that over paying $85 for Florence the same night.

You've got to factor in the huge expense of getting the band and their gear/crew over there. That's probably to blame for the high prices in Australia.

$85 for Florence anywhere is like $50 too much.

Imperor said:
The National

Just on these dudes, THE NASH! are one of the few bands I'd pay to see more than once even if the setlist remained stagnant. They are just ridiculously good live.

Have you had the fortune of seeing Waits or Bowie?

Incidentally I'm seeing Radiohead twice in November. Both tickets cost $140 each.

Imperor said:
You've got to factor in the huge expense of getting the band and their gear/crew over there. That's probably to blame for the high prices in Australia.

$85 for Florence anywhere is like $50 too much.

Oh I know. It just cuts me up seeing you guys post in here having seen 15 great bands in a week for $40 :lol:

I haven't seen Waits or Bowie. Easily my two white whales at this point. I've been fortunate to have seen most of the bands I'd want to see. The next tier would be stuff like Ryan Adams, Beach House, and Cat Power.

Bowie is def my biggest white whale. I was in Europe when he toured for Reality and missed it.

I haven't seen Lou Reed either but at this point I'm not sure he'd put on a great show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom