Random Music Talk LXVII: All the First-World Problems You Can Handle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I find Pre-Millennium Tension unlistenable, excluding Christiansands. Perhaps it's worth giving it another shot sometime. Your thoughts, Laz?

Seriously, cobbler? Seriously???? :angry:

eta: I have seen for myself, but I've never heard of anyone who liked PMT better than Maxinquaye. Even the guy at the record store told me not to buy it. I'm genuinely curious as to why he likes it better.

Seriously, cobbler? Seriously???? :angry:

eta: I have seen for myself, but I've never heard of anyone who liked PMT better than Maxinquaye. Even the guy at the record store told me not to buy it. I'm genuinely curious as to why he likes it better.

It's certainly not a smoother album, but to me PMT takes him further away from Massive Attack and into his own as an artist. I liked to describe it back when it came out as "techno blues", and there's a more pronounced hip-hop flavor compared to its predecessor. And for me, it really lives up to its album title, putting together these odd influences into something very disturbing and of its time. There are sounds on this album that I'd never heard before. And in that regard it's a lot more unique to me than Maxinquaye.

I'm also surprised you'd say that only Christiansands is "listenable", when you have the beautiful Makes Me Wanna Die (with Marina Topley-Bird on lead vocals).

I am though. You could have the best fun you've ever had, listening to Hot Cakes. Or you can conform and listen to Pre-Millenium Tension.

Being a bit passive aggressive today, eh?

lazarus said:
It's certainly not a smoother album, but to me PMT takes him further away from Massive Attack and into his own as an artist. I liked to describe it back when it came out as "techno blues", and there's a more pronounced hip-hop flavor compared to its predecessor. And for me, it really lives up to its album title, putting together these odd influences into something very disturbing and of its time.

Holy shit this sounds right up my alley!

I don't find Pre-Millenial Tension all too dissimilar from Maxinequaye tho I agree with Laz about the stronger hip hop influence. I actually prefer it as well. Christiansands & Makes Me Wanna Die are indeed great tunes and Tricky Kid is the business.

cobl04 said:
I just heard a Lil Wayne song that I really enjoyed, even his part: Mr Carter.

Heeeyyy Missstahh Caaahhttehhh
Tell me where'a'ya bin

I like Dr. Carter even more, actually, and A Milli is my ultimate guilty pleasure. Sadly, the rest of that record is useless as I'm concerned.

Finally got tickets for Father John Misty. Guy has been through Chicago something like five times this year already. :lol:

iron yuppie said:
Finally got tickets for Father John Misty. Guy has been through Chicago something like five times this year already. :lol:

Oh dude, you're going to have an awesome time

Tomorrow I am seeing The Jesus and Mary Chain, Elvis Costello, Iggy and the Stooges and Wild Nothing :drool:

Today I'm just sitting here at home, passing up the chance to see Earth live.

I'm probably an idiot, but seeing a band I'm only lukewarm about because they're "seminal" and because lots of people I know love them aren't compelling enough reasons to travel across the city and fork out money I could spend on bands I like more.

I'm just sitting here contemplating how awesome it is to rhyme "drive home" with "blind hope."

One love. I love you guys. Let's talk about Kendrick Nunn. Google him , if you don't know who he is.

I'm just sitting here contemplating how awesome it is to rhyme "drive home" with "blind hope."

One love. I love you guys. Let's talk about Kendrick Nunn. Google him , if you don't know who he is.

Scout Grade

17th at his POSITION
9th REGIONALLY
2nd in STATE

:hmm:

I'm seeing several bands I'm lukewarm about because they're "seminal" and the ticket was $45 :lol:

This would be $38 just for Earth and a mediocre opener I didn't care for when she supported Boris back in March, so you're onto the better deal there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom