Random Music Talk LXVII: All the First-World Problems You Can Handle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a lifelong Dolphins fan. I win :(

I've been cheering for them after watching this year's season of Hard Knocks on HBO. They definitely have a tough road ahead.

The Marino days were awesome though. I'm sure most any football fan our age was at least some sort of Dolphins fan back then. :up:

Women often prefer a fresh bowl, too. It's not just a guy thing, guyz.

God I fucking love Elbow :heart:

In the attempt to come across a humorous elbow related picture, I found this blasphemous wonder:

i1d5I.jpg

It was titled, "Macho Man Stops Rapture With Flying Elbow".

And if I ever find the broad who stands and pees and gets it all over the seat, I will revoke her women's room access and she'll have to use the men's room for the rest of her life. grrrrrrrrrrr

I wasn't aware that women did that much. That's disgusting. Why the hell would anyone want to do such a thing?

I've been cheering for them after watching this year's season of Hard Knocks on HBO. They definitely have a tough road ahead.

The Marino days were awesome though. I'm sure most any football fan our age was at least some sort of Dolphins fan back then. :up:

My mom loved Marino. Agreed, they've had a really tough time of it lately, so it'd be great if they were able to turn things around. She would sympathize with JT, she too is a lifelong fan of that team.

cobl04 said:
I love it when albums reward repeated listening. Madvillainy rules. Shadows of Tomorrow and Rainbows are the only songs I'm not huge on.

Told ya so.

Madvillainy is my eccentric, burned out old friend.

I've always wondered why some dudes seem to think it's necessary to spit in the urinal before they can start the process.

It's all fun and games until...

One of my most vivid high school memories: my best friend stepped up to a rather nasty public urinal, spit down at it, and his spit string, for lack of better terminology, snapped back up off the front rim and into his mouth.

I'm pretty sure I missed the urinal after that.

I think that's a bit different, and would totally be supporting Palmer if she was doing the same thing. He bypassed the distribution method, but still handled the production himself (or behind the scenes with a loan). Palmer asked people to pay (what seems like an exorbitant amount of money) to fund her making an album, and is now asking people to be her band for free when she tours.

In the grand scheme of things, it honestly don't really bug me that much. Like I said before, I actually liked The Dresden Dolls quite a bit. I think I've just had weird experiences personally with kickstarter related things, and probably have more of a negative perception of the whole thing than I should. Like HG wrote, I'm sure there are a lot of good uses of that sort of model as well. I've unfortunately seen a handful of sketchy ones.

I still haven't had a chance to read the article, so I'll have to see what you're talking about as far as the band is concerned.

But where are you getting the idea that she charged exorbitant amounts for the album? I paid $5. I could have paid more for various physical copies and other specials, but I just wanted the MP3s.

I think Kickstarter's are really a good idea, to be honest, but there's a lot of room for scum.

:applaud:

OK, I've read it now.

I can't honestly say I blame her. She's not asking them to tour for free, she's asking for them to have a one night only really amazing experience. NOW, Granted, I don't know where she's getting this $35,000 from. She could pay much less than that, I would think, but maybe there's some sort of union shit involved. But, let's not pretend like she earned a shit ton of money from the kickstarter. She got 1.2 million. If it really costs $35,000 per show, that's a million dollars right there if she does 30 shows.

If I had a band I loved come to a city I was in and asked if I'd play Saxophone for free for the chance to hang out with them and an experience like that? I wouldn't care about not getting paid :shrug:

BUT, to each there own, I can understand being disgusted with her. I can. Because I don't know where she's getting the $35,000 bit from.

I'm on a phone so I can't write much more, but that 35k the NYT says is for all the dates on the tour. About 30 dates and 8 people that's 150 dollars a performance.

Palmer says she doesn't have any money left after recording and touring costs, which, a band sounds like a touring expense to me.

I'm on a phone so I can't write much more, but that 35k the NYT says is for all the dates on the tour. About 30 dates and 8 people that's 150 dollars a performance.

Palmer says she doesn't have any money left after recording and touring costs, which, a band sounds like a touring expense to me.

OH! :doh: my apologies.

I didn't get a chance to watch Hard Knocks (no HBO), but I heard it was pretty good. I saw the Ochocinco firing though; Awkward shit. I'm amazed they were actually able to air that

That made the rounds a couple years ago when Savage died.

Still great.

Indeed. He died around the time of some apocalypse prediction, so the joke was that he prevented it. My favourite said something along the lines of "No rapture on my watch"

Anyone listened to the new Menomena album stream yet? If so, what did you think?

The sort I enjoy. :wink:

Not really sure how to describe them, or who to compare them to. Last FM lists TV on the Radio and Wolf Parade as similar artists, which may be fairly accurate since I love both of those groups. I've really liked Menomena's last couple albums. They were a 3 piece group, but one of the guys left after the last album, so this is their first with just 2 members. Sorta had me worried, but it's still received really positive scores (8 from Pitchfork for example). Comes out next week. Stream is here:

Stream Menomena’s new album ‘Moms’

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom