Random Music Talk LXVI: This is not a rutabaga song...this is CELERY SALTY CELERY!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This Blur box set is a lot bigger than I had imagined, like an 8-inch cube. Here it is next to the Talking Heads box, which is 8 standard jewel cases in a slip case, for scale.

blur.jpg

Where did you acquire those, DB? A "wow" worthy place?

I think my dog has a tapeworm. :(

I ordered Blur 21 from Amazon. It was the cheapest price I could find by more than $20. The Talking Heads set I bought used at Amoeba in Hollywood back in February. Can't recall exactly what I paid but it was a pretty good bargain.

Hope your pooch is feeling better soon.

Hopefully the vet will help me bring Utah justice to the worm tomorrow.

In other words, he's going to give the medication, and I'm going to shoot the worm when it it comes out to teach its friends a lesson that my dog is not to be messed with.

When I first moved to LA my best friend had moved out here about a month before me, and I crashed on his couch as I looked for a place to live. He lived in Marina Del Rey, and a lot of tenants seemed to have issues with bugs and such. Sure enough, my friend eventually had a small infestation of ants, which bothered me a little but freaked him the fuck out. So he goes out and buys some bug spray before calling an exterminator, and he sprays a few ants and then leaves them, dead, right there on his living room floor to serve as an example of what will happen should more ants pay his place a visit.

This is the same guy who, years earlier, when we were roommates in NY, spelled the word "kill" on his forehead with shaving cream then came running out of the bathroom to show me how fucking crazy he was, except he did it while looking in the mirror so it was inverted.

When I first moved to LA my best friend had moved out here about a month before me, and I crashed on his couch as I looked for a place to live. He lived in Marina Del Rey, and a lot of tenants seemed to have issues with bugs and such. Sure enough, my friend eventually had an small infestation of ants, which bothered me a little but freaked him the fuck out. So he goes out and buys some bug spray before calling an exterminator, and he sprays a few ants and then leaves them, dead, right there on his living room floor to serve as an example of what will happen should more ants pay his place a visit.

This is the same guy who, years earlier, when we were roommates in NY, spelled the word "kill" on his forehead with shaving cream then came running out of the bathroom to show me how fucking crazy he was, except he did it while looking in the mirror so it was inverted.

Maybe he was just really pro llik-ing.

I'm pro-licking.

Figured I'd make the lame pun before Laz did.

I love Lightning Crashes :(

Congrats on your friend's band, Laz :up:

iYup I agree on Bon Iver. I rarely listen to For Emma from start to finish. I always go the self-titled.

I hate you.

When I first moved to LA my best friend had moved out here about a month before me, and I crashed on his couch as I looked for a place to live. He lived in Marina Del Rey, and a lot of tenants seemed to have issues with bugs and such. Sure enough, my friend eventually had a small infestation of ants, which bothered me a little but freaked him the fuck out. So he goes out and buys some bug spray before calling an exterminator, and he sprays a few ants and then leaves them, dead, right there on his living room floor to serve as an example of what will happen should more ants pay his place a visit.

L.
M.
F.
A.
O.

The Presets - never heard of them, but went to a show last weekend at my friend's theater (Whedonesque Burlesque - burlesque acts based on characters from the Whedonverse. Hell of a lot of fun), and someone danced to one of their songs. I found her afterwards and asked who it was. Lo and behold, The Presets.

didn't like anything else I heard of theirs on Spotify, but I like those little "WHO IS THIS SONG BY I MUST KNOW" moments.

I own a Presets album. :up:

Weighing in on the Live conversation...

I owned Mental Jewelry. On cassette. Jesus, I'm old. Throwing Copper was certainly a more mature and commercial sound for them, which I liked, but I do still have a soft spot in my heart for Mental Jewelry.

I live in Western MA. No single family home around here does not have or has not at some point (however its usually ongoing with those fuckers) had a problem with carpenter ants, if they have any kind of a backyard. Front yard. Side yard. Those fuckers own this part of the state. I think it's the real reason people from out east like to think we're just part of NY.

On a completely different note, I hate how much noise I want to make playing the guitar right now. It's 3 in the goddamn morning, my housemate is asleep, this entire town is asleep, and I really want to crank my amp up and be crazy loud. This is all Pete Townshend's fault. Instead I'm sitting in my living room drinking beer and playing video games. I mean, I guess I really can't complain about that. Or perhaps I can, cos I'm almost out of beer.

Found a picture of Iron Yuppie:

lastexittospringfield7_thumb.png

“Now, stay tuned for professional wrestling live from the Springfield grapplearium.
Tonight, a Texas death match, Dr. Hillbilly versus the Iron Yuppie!
One man will actually be unmasked and killed in the ring!” – Wrestling Announcer
“I hope they kill that iron yuppie, thinks he’s so big.” – Homer Simpson

Banter!

I listened to Sea Change for the first time last weekend and zoned out pretty quickly. At some later point I'm sure I'll try it again, but it sounded all similar and without an obvious entry point.

on the OTHER HAND

listened to Alligator for the first time and that was a fun listen. Listened to that on the way down I-5 to Portland and then twice on the way up. Parts of it touched on a sort of Modest Mouse vibe. Also, I finally get that Tennessee Williams RMT title.

also heard Imagine Dragon's It's Time too many goddamn times. Folk angst!

I first saw a link to this song a day ago for Van Morrison's birthday. Brown Eyed Girl never interested me much, but as soon as I heard Astral Weeks it was :heart:

Almost bought that yesterday but I got the new Cat Power instead.

Dweller on the Threshold is my fav VanMo song.

Astral Weeks is way better than Sun. Friggin.

In other news, Revolver > NLOTH

I first saw a link to this song a day ago for Van Morrison's birthday. Brown Eyed Girl never interested me much, but as soon as I heard Astral Weeks it was :heart:

There are different sounds and phases to Van's music, and maybe you're more of an Astral Weeks/Veedon Fleece kind of guy like me. But his more soulful stuff like Moondance, Street Choir and Tupelo Honey is dope too. He just kicks ass at making music.

Brown Eyed Girl is pretty strange in the context of his discography, honestly. Not representative at all. Still a great pop song.

My tour de YouTube also revealed that Papa Roach and will.i.am have new songs, so that is a burden I must carry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom