Random Music Talk LXVI: This is not a rutabaga song...this is CELERY SALTY CELERY!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe an unpopular opinion, I dunno: Plastic Ono Band absolutely destroys all other Lennon solo albums, including Imagine. I mean, the others are good and everything, but they sound so disingenuous after being exposed to Isolation and Love for years and years. It was the first solo album of his I heard, and it's the only one that keeps growing on me. Not saying it's perfect or anything, but that's part of what makes it so appealing.

Also, that fifth or sixth MOMMA DON'T GOOOOOOOOOO in Mother's outro hasn't lost its shock value at all. Still one of the scariest things I've ever heard.

Not unpopular. Plastic Ono has long been regarded Lennon's solo masterpiece; I've never read any critical proclamation making a case for Imagine or anything else.

It also destroys anything by any other Beatle. All Things Must Pass is ambitious only in length, and to be honest its average song quality ain't that high. It wouldn't come close to makIng any list of great double/triple albums.

The first solo Macca album is very good, but it doesn't cut anywhere near as deep.

Has anyone heard this Imagine Dragons album? iTunes and Amazon are both pimping it. I listened to their EP earlier this year and thought it sounded like any generic alt pop band; nothing much to write home about.

I heard the new single a couple times, but I can't really recall how it sounds now. Which probably doesn't say much for the music :p.

Also, I love that we're schooling nielsgov on who Pee-Wee Herman is :D.

I'm as ambivalent about Imagine Dragons as the rest of you guys are.

But Pee-Wee Herman... :heart:

LemonMelon said:
Maybe an unpopular opinion, I dunno: Plastic Ono Band absolutely destroys all other Lennon solo albums, including Imagine. I mean, the others are good and everything, but they sound so disingenuous after being exposed to Isolation and Love for years and years. It was the first solo album of his I heard, and it's the only one that keeps growing on me. Not saying it's perfect or anything, but that's part of what makes it so appealing.

Easily my favorite of his as well. Probably among my top fifty of all time, actually.

All Things Must Pass is ambitious only in length, and to be honest its average song quality ain't that high. It wouldn't come close to makIng any list of great double/triple albums.

You're in-fucking-sane

Listened to the new Paul Banks tune. Not bad. I still don't like what he's done with his voice since Antics though.

Jive Turkey said:
Listened to the new Paul Banks tune. Not bad. I still don't like what he's done with his voice since Antics though.
What has he done to it? Sounds fine to me.

What has he done to it? Sounds fine to me.

He's changed it a great deal. Not nearly as deep and monotone anymore and he constantly has this double vocal track thing going on that he never used to do. His voice used to make the band sound mysterious; I wish he would go back to it

I got a fancy new phone (my really low-end Android wasn't cutting it anymore, so I sucked it up and went fancy), and my favorite app on it is Tune Inn. Radio from around the world!

I'm listening to Irish traditional music from one of their stations. Really random and cool to see what they listen to in Iceland, or, you know, Albania. But it can get a little depressing to click on a "top hits" station out of Paris and realize they listen to a lot of the same radio crap we do.

It's nice to have a phone that can handle this type of app. :heart:

Has anyone heard this Imagine Dragons album? iTunes and Amazon are both pimping it. I listened to their EP earlier this year and thought it sounded like any generic alt pop band; nothing much to write home about.

Local indie store here sent out a huge email about it earlier this week as well. I listened to a tiny clip of a song or two from it on Spotify last night, my feelings were identical to yours. Again though, I probably have only heard 1 min total of their work.

Did you know 'Imagine Dragons' are a local band mofo? Formed in Provo apparently.

That doesn't bode well considering the last band to come out of Provo was

images

and before that:

images

You're in-fucking-sane

I'm in-good-company.

All Things Must Pass [Apple, 1970]
As a slave of the very "MAYA" (pidgin Hindi for the concrete world) Harrison warns against, I am obliged to point out that playing headsie with the Universal Mind is not introspection and that the International Pop Music Community is not a group. Presumably, the featurelessness of these three discs--right down to the anonymity of the multitracked vocals--reflects Harrison's notion of Truth, and he's welcome to it. But he's never been good for more than two songs per album, and after "My Sweet Lord" I start to get stuck. C

BOOM.

#christgau

Did you know 'Imagine Dragons' are a local band mofo? Formed in Provo apparently.

Ahhhhh, makes sense why Gray Whale sent such a huge email about the album release then. Also makes sense as to why their music is boring and bland. :wink:

I just came in here to post that I am rather enjoying this Twin Shadow record, but then a girl with no less than eight piercings in her nose and mouth sat directly across from me on the train.

I just came in here to post that I am rather enjoying this Twin Shadow record, but then a girl with no less than eight piercings in her nose and mouth sat directly across from me on the train.

WHAT THE FUC..... oh, piercings

I'm in-good-company.

All Things Must Pass [Apple, 1970]
As a slave of the very "MAYA" (pidgin Hindi for the concrete world) Harrison warns against, I am obliged to point out that playing headsie with the Universal Mind is not introspection and that the International Pop Music Community is not a group. Presumably, the featurelessness of these three discs--right down to the anonymity of the multitracked vocals--reflects Harrison's notion of Truth, and he's welcome to it. But he's never been good for more than two songs per album, and after "My Sweet Lord" I start to get stuck. C

BOOM.

#christgau

I don't even know who christgau is. And couldn't care less about his opinion. I'll hand it to you that everything after Hear Me Lord could be lopped off, but that still leaves a solid double album

lazarus said:
As a slave of the very "MAYA" (pidgin Hindi for the concrete world) Harrison warns against, I am obliged to point out that playing headsie with the Universal Mind is not introspection and that the International Pop Music Community is not a group. Presumably, the featurelessness of these three discs--right down to the anonymity of the multitracked vocals--reflects Harrison's notion of Truth, and he's welcome to it.

I don't understand a single word of this.

You know what's really annoying? Whoever is behind the Ron Swanson twitter account is now actually talking seriously about the election. The latest offering:

@ronswanson2012: I'm not an overtly religious man, but I think that the dems that booed putting God into their platform will have a problem come judgment.

Unfollow :down:

Know what else is annoying? People sharing their political opinions on Facebook. The amount of stupid ass shit about both conventions I've read from people I know has been sickening.

I wish I had a music critic backing me up so I can feel comfortable with my musical taste. Alas, it was not meant to be.

Claim: Usher's 8701 is a really fucking great r&b album. So many great songs - U Remind Me, U Got it Bad, U-Turn, Separated, U Don't Have to Call, I Don't Know.

Confessions was good too. I miss old Usher.

I don't even know who christgau is. And couldn't care less about his opinion. I'll hand it to you that everything after Hear Me Lord could be lopped off, but that still leaves a solid double album

If you couldn't care less about the opinion of a respected veteran music critic who's open-minded to most genres of music and is very informed, then why give a shit about what anyone here thinks? Is anyone here some kind of expert? It's all subjective, and great writers allow one to recontextualize some works and give them a different look.

I wish I had a music critic backing me up so I can feel comfortable with my musical taste. Alas, it was not meant to be.

Yeah, I made sure to check on Christgau's opinion of Harrison before posting my own.

What did you think of Channel Orange peef?
I enjoyed it. It's too long, but so are most albums. I like not just his voice, but a lot of his lyrics too. They're not earth-shatteringly great, but they're different, in a positive way. Pyramids is a force to be reckoned with.

If you couldn't care less about the opinion of a respected veteran music critic who's open-minded to most genres of music and is very informed, then why give a shit about what anyone here thinks? Is anyone here some kind of expert? It's all subjective, and great writers allow one to recontextualize some works and give them a different look.
Well, you said "BOOM," as if it was some sort of game-changer that Christgau agreed with you. I think that was the sentiment he was replying to more than the nature of Christgau as a reviewer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom