Random Music Talk LXVI: This is not a rutabaga song...this is CELERY SALTY CELERY!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My foremost pet peeve with the tags is when they feel the need to put "live" after every song on a live album. You would think that the live nature of the songs would be obvious from an album entitled The Abattoir Blues Tour.

Thank you. And I hate that there are all these etiquette rules for when to use ( ) and when to use [ ] that people only follow in a half-assed way, and so I usually end up just deleting all that shit. Such a pain in the ass to undo all that stuff just so I can import something into iTunes.

What are some song titles that you really love, regardless of what the song actually sounds like?

I think my favorite song title is "Freedom of Speech Won't Feed My Children" by Manic Street Preachers.

Joyful, hope you're doing alright. Whiplash is a bitch, but I'm glad you were able to get the CDs out. My sister and I still mourn the loss of my Black Sheep tape, which was lost to us forever when her Pontiac Sunfire was totaled after an accident so many years ago. :sad:

But now I own the Black Sheep album on CD, so it's all good. :wink:

Anal Cunt had some pretty hilarious, if incredibly offensive (to some) titles...

Anal Cunt albums are worth owning just for the titles, really.

My favourites are the seemingly innocuous but insulting ones. You Are an Interior Designer. You Own a Store. Your Favourite Band Is Supertramp. You Live on a Houseboat. You Go to Art School. You (Fill in the Blank). I'm in Anal Cunt.

Anal Cunt albums are worth owning just for the titles, really.

My favourites are the seemingly innocuous but insulting ones. You Are an Interior Designer. You Own a Store. Your Favourite Band Is Supertramp. You Live on a Houseboat. You Go to Art School. You (Fill in the Blank). I'm in Anal Cunt.

"Your Favourite Band is Supertramp" is awesome haha. I did try listening to them once but obviously it's not for me.

And I have to admit I laughed heartily at "Windchimes are Gay"

Nah they're one of the bands I grew up on actually! Like them. Though there was a shameful point in my life where I preferred Scooter's cover of The Logical Song to the original.

I did try listening to them once but obviously it's not for me.

I can't say I listen to them much ... but the parodies on the Howard Is Bald EP of Bad to the Bone (Bald to the Bone) and You Should Be Dancing (You Should Be Balding) are hilarious.

I was going to add some gg allin song titles here, but there's nothing I like about gg allin. Well, other than the fact that he's dead. Apparently I draw the line somewhere around Sid vicious/Darby crash and that waste of space. :shrug:

The dum dum girls covered gg allin? Am I to believe wiki on this? I'm not even sure who they are other than I've seen you guys mention them, but for some reason that in and of itself makes me laugh.

How is anchors a post 9/11 album? Other than it came out in 2003, they didnt jump on the political bandwagon til the gold record.

Really? I'd say a good number of the songs are specifically about life immediately after 9/11 (the desire to move on, but not forget), or at least give allusion to it. I know it was specifically mentioned fairly often in interviews and reviews at the time. Some of the songs are pretty obvious (Born Free, New Day, Simple Man), some just have some lyrics that seemed obviously influenced at the time.

Apartment 5F:
Destruction leaves an empty space
In emptiness again I begin to create
Feeling good again now, in some new kind of way
Feeling good again now

By no means is it as straight forward and dated as something like The Rising though, so it's probably unfair for me to categorize it that way. The majority of the songs have nothing to do with it, but I admittedly don't really listen to most of those songs any more. :wink:

Aside from Letter From Iraq (which was written by a servicemen, not by anyone in the band), I don't see much politics wise in the Gold Record.

Mogwai have great song titles

Kids will be Skeletons
I'm Jim Morrison, I'm Dead
I Love You, I'm going to Blow Up your School
You're Lionel Richie
I've always thought this is a great one: I Know You Are But What Am I?

And yeah, Mogwai have great songtitles in general even though they don't say anything about the music.

Well, gang, I can safely say Coexist is the most boring thing I've heard this year.

Pee%2BWee%2BHerman.jpg
pee-wee-herman-shows-broadway-opening.html

I really like Coexist. The first album was boring too the first few times, but I've fallen in love with their sound, and I think they have made some good, subtle updates to it.

I don't know if I ever found the first one boring, per se, but its sparseness in places felt almost alien. In a wonderful way. I still have a great deal of affection for it. Coexist just did absolutely nothing to intrigue me, with its opening track being the worst offender. I had hoped with the ascent of Jamie xx over the past couple years that they'd take a turn in that direction.

They did. The beats are definitely more prominent. The problem is that the songs themselves are forgettable.

I heard the first single (?) off the Paul Banks solo album this morning. I really liked it!

and then they played a song I was really digging, and imagine my surprise to see it was Shearwater. I have not been able to get into them at all, but maybe I'll have to check out the new one, based on how much I liked that song.

Yay, KEXP!

Has anyone heard this Imagine Dragons album? iTunes and Amazon are both pimping it. I listened to their EP earlier this year and thought it sounded like any generic alt pop band; nothing much to write home about.

Local indie store here sent out a huge email about it earlier this week as well. I listened to a tiny clip of a song or two from it on Spotify last night, my feelings were identical to yours. Again though, I probably have only heard 1 min total of their work.

I heard the first single (?) off the Paul Banks solo album this morning. I really liked it!

and then they played a song I was really digging, and imagine my surprise to see it was Shearwater. I have not been able to get into them at all, but maybe I'll have to check out the new one, based on how much I liked that song.

Yay, KEXP!

I really like the Paul Banks single too, hopefully the album is good.

Do you remember what Shearwater song it was?

Sucks to hear that my somewhat indifferent response to the new XX singles will likely apply to the entire album. I really liked the debut.

Thank goodness they have the playlists online. The song was "Immaculate."

Good song. It's from the "new" album, Animal Joy. There are a handful of "more rocking" type songs like that on the album, you should give it a shot. It's definitely still in my personal favorite 5 or so albums this year.

Maybe an unpopular opinion, I dunno: Plastic Ono Band absolutely destroys all other Lennon solo albums, including Imagine. I mean, the others are good and everything, but they sound so disingenuous after being exposed to Isolation and Love for years and years. It was the first solo album of his I heard, and it's the only one that keeps growing on me. Not saying it's perfect or anything, but that's part of what makes it so appealing.

Also, that fifth or sixth MOMMA DON'T GOOOOOOOOOO in Mother's outro hasn't lost its shock value at all. Still one of the scariest things I've ever heard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom