Random Music Talk LXIX: Give it to Laz - He'll Eat Anything

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Chromatics: Check out Kill For Love. Many here, including myself, have listed it as one of our favorite albums this year.

Beirut: Their most recent, The Rip Tide, is probably a great place to start for the uninitiated.

In other words, you can totally pull a Cobbler with both of them.

u2popmofo said:
Chromatics: Check out Kill For Love. Many here, including myself, have listed it as one of our favorite albums this year.

Pretty much my country mile #1 at this point.

u2popmofo said:

Beirut: Their most recent, The Rip Tide, is probably a great place to start for the uninitiated.

In other words, you can totally pull a Cobbler on both of them.

:up:

cobl04 said:
I also really need to delve into Sigur Ros and Beck more...

Sigur Ros is pretty easy to rec: Agaetis Byrjun and Takk all the way. Anyone who suggests ( ) needs to look up "empathy" in a dictionary.

As far as Beck goes, he's one of my all-time favorite artists so it's tough to be objective. Odelay is obviously THE Beck record, even though I would rank it 3rd or 4th. You already heard Midnite Vultures and love it, so keep listening there. Guero is the album most in line with those and it is fun, if extremely slight. It's probably his weakest (some would say The Information, but that record is so dense and creepy that it has rewarded the many hours I've spent with it). Modern Guilt is a great Danger Mouse-produced album that's maybe a half hour long, and it really seemed to impress many here when it came out.

I like every Beck album to some degree, excepting the shitty pre-Mellow Gold tapes, and those I haven't mentioned I skipped because I wasn't certain you'd enjoy them as much.

Cool thanks. I listened to Takk this morning (was able to hear the whole thing as the trains were hugely delayed) and whilst none of the songs stuck with me there were some awesome moments on it, can't wait to see them live :up:

The climax in Glosoli is thrilling.

Anyone who suggests ( ) needs to look up "empathy" in a dictionary.

This is why I may be poisoned against them. I saw it on sale when the Wherehouse was going belly up and bought it. It only works on one level: it's my go-to record when I need to fall asleep on airplanes. It works every time. :sigh:

I know; I've posted all this before.

I have actually been meaning to tell you that Beirut is a band that I investigated largely because of your enthusiasm, and I have definitely enjoyed what I have heard. That was a solid recommendation.

Man, Beirut is one of those bands (The Rip Tide especially) where I heard the album once, absolutely loved it, and have never had the opportunity to even relisten to a track or two from it, but I recall thinking it was fantastic.

But THIS is on ():

Sigur Rós | Untitled #8 (Official Live Video) - YouTube

I think I'd only listened to () once until I saw them in concert, and after I found out this one (they closed with it) was on that album, I was all "WHAT ELSE HAVE I BEEN MISSING????"

... well, not a ton. It's got a few good tracks. Not their best album, but it's not that bad. Anything that has this song can't be bad.

I remember hearing () in its entirety on KEXP on my way to record my first band's first EP. I remember loving it. Then I listened to it later and was underwhelmed.

I never said I disliked ( ), fwiw. I just think it would be like starting your Miles Davis journey with Bitches Brew.

I never said I disliked ( ), fwiw. I just think it would be like starting your Miles Davis journey with Bitches Brew.
I started with ( ) and it turned out alright. :wink:

Though seriously, AB is a better starting point.

Also, the recommended items to "Complete the desired look" kill me:

Snazaroo Face Paint (Brown - DarK)... Ok, makes sense
Snazaroo Make-up Sponge... Yep, still with you
4 Size AA Batteries that are "Perfect for our spooky voice changer..." What the fuck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom