Random Music Talk LIV: A Wretched Hive of Scum and Villainy (and Mac & Cheese)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, I was reading about that... I can't remember which episode though? Is it Oscar Bluth proposing to Lucille?
It was a recurring phrase said by multiple characters. I want to say it was first spoken by Maebe when she was posing as a studio exec.

Doesn't he live in Seattle? You should totally stalk him, cori.

I don't know if he lives here anymore. I did see him in the VIP area at one of the Seattle Vertigo shows. That was my only sighting.

And I missed my chance to meet him ... an ex-boyfriend of mine knew a woman who was one of Cat Power's back-up singers on the tour for The Greatest, and she did two shows at a local venue.

So we went to the first show, and I missed the second because I was sick, and the ex hung out backstage with his friend .... and Peter Buck was there.

Alas. I'm sure I would have just said something embarrassing anyway.

I generally liked Arrested Development, but I also think that the recurring Anyong joke is among the least funny things that I have ever seen in my life.

Ron and April are such a great combo. I love when those two work together to fuck shit up. It makes me happy.

So, I've been reading Keith Richards' memoirs that he published a couple of years back. Very interesting shit. Even though he was a crazy motherfucker, and a junkie who carried knives and guns around with him all the time, the warmth of his personality comes through in a lot of the writing. Seems like a legitimately good guy. And a badass, of course.

And he really rips into Mick Jagger in a few of the chapters. Totally makes it clear that, at some point in the 1980s, Jagger just turned into a complete asshole and hasn't really stopped up to this day.

Parts of it are rambling, and a few even veer towards incoherent...but I'd definitely recommend reading it. For any Stones fan, especially. Entertaining, informative, like I said gives you a good sense of the man. (At least from his point of view.)

Final tidbit: Keith's favorite Stones song of all-time is "Jumpin' Jack Flash." :cute:

I was lucky enough to be one of the people that got a ticket in the random drawing for this event on Saturday in San Francisco called The Creators Project. I think it has something to do with Vice or whatever, but that's not important.

What is important is the quality of the bill and the fact that it's free.

Saturday, March 17

1:30 PM: The Hundred in the Hands

2:45 PM: New Pants + Feng Mengbo’s Bruce Lee VJ Project

4 PM: HEALTH

5 PM: Teen Daze

5:45 PM: The Antlers

7 PM: Shabazz Palaces

8 PM: Zola Jesus

9:15 PM: Squarepusher

10:45 PM: Yeah Yeah Yeahs

11:30 PM: James Murphy + Pat Mahoney + Nancy Whang DJ set

I mean, fuuuuuuuck. What's even crazier is that my girlfriend entered me simply because she knew I liked the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. :lol:

But I'm also a huge fan of HEALTH, Teen Daze, Zola Jesus and of course, Chubby Murphy. And, I mean, you'd have to be crazy to not at least like The Antlers or Shabazz Palaces. I just can't believe that a bill that reads like a Pitchfork Festival day is being offered for free and indoors. :hyper:

Pink Moon on in KMart. Nobody shops here, so they just play whatever they want I guess. This is awesome.

Speaking of odd music and location combos, I heard "Born This Way" today at the gym. Wouldn't normally be a big deal, but the gym I've started going to near work seems to be one of those "only meatheads and former athletes workout here" type places. I've only ever seen 2 women total there. Hearing "don't be a drag, be a queen" blasting in a room full of ridiculous amounts of testosterone was extremely entertaining.

The song right after it was Dynamite by Taio Cruz too. The exact type of music meatheads like to listen to. :laugh:

They were playing country music at the gym today. I tried to block it out with The Bends, but my headphones have weak noise canceling, so Fake Plastic Trees was about pickup trucks.

Seem to be going about 4 times a week now, which I hope to keep up. As far as cardio is concerned, there's a pretty noticeable increase in my conditioning vs. 3 weeks ago. Rather not say how much I'm lifting now, it's depressing.

I really need to pull my finger out and start going again.

Midnight Vultures was a terrific recommendation. :up: want to take a stab at my two favourite tracks?

...but the gym I've started going to near work seems to be one of those "only meatheads and former athletes workout here" type places.

I'm very sorry to hear that. Meatheads are the worst. The best gym experience I ever had was at a senior citizens-themed YMCA. It was always perfectly air-conditioned and clean, and the roid-rager percentage was minimal. And, since the seniors tended to stay in the pool or gather around the reception desk, I always had the weights to myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom