Random Music Talk LIV: A Wretched Hive of Scum and Villainy (and Mac & Cheese)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ooh, I heard the new Miike Snow song, but didn't realize there was an album on its way (thought it was just a random "hey, here's a song"). I absolutely love their first album. Sylvia is my jam.

(Do people still say that? My jam?)

Unsurprisingly, I have never eaten at Taco Bell.

Other than seeing you and my aunt, the thing I am most looking forward to about my trip is having some amazing enchiladas.

I visited my aunt some years back when she lived in Ruidoso, and she took us to eat at the country club up the road in her subdivision, where we ate these giant plates of amazingness. I think I had them all three nights I was there.

It's actually Miike Snow .... and I have no idea if it's a he, or a them, or what the hell a Miike Snow is.

I don't know that they had anything well-known? Maybe something was in a commercial?

Oops, and in my post correcting a misspelling, I misspelled the song name. Here's Silvia:

Miike Snow - Silvia - YouTube

Joyful, Y U NO LIKE CAT FUD?

I did actually work for the guy who created the damn chihuahua ad for a brief spell before I got my current job. And I do have a chihuahua. And I have driven through the drive-thru with a friend and saw what he got. That was my close brush with Taco Bell.

:hi5:

Another Sconnie and I at work were talking some years back about cheese curds, and most everyone else around had this appalled reaction. "What the hell is a cheese curd? Curd! It sounds disgusting!"

Hello?! It's cheese! How could it be disgusting? They're amazing!

I won't tell you how they reacted when we talked about how they squeak.

Other than seeing you and my aunt, the thing I am most looking forward to about my trip is having some amazing enchiladas.

I visited my aunt some years back when she lived in Ruidoso, and she took us to eat at the country club up the road in her subdivision, where we ate these giant plates of amazingness. I think I had them all three nights I was there.

Enchiladas we shall have. They are quite enjoyable with margaritas.

When I first moved here I was so appalled by the humongous servings of mystery food smothered in cheese and chili. But now I love NM food so much that I am offended by the very thought of the dry and tidy hand-held bean-cheese-brown rice burrito that was a staple of my NYC East Village life.

Miike (pronounced Me-Kay, I would assume)
is said to have come from one of their friends called Mike Snow, with the spelling of "Miike" coming from the Japanese film director Takashi Miike.

I had to check that on Wiki, but I read it a long time ago.

Enchiladas :drool:.

So now I want mac & cheese AND something taco-y.

It's actually Miike Snow .... and I have no idea if it's a he, or a them, or what the hell a Miike Snow is.

I don't know that they had anything well-known? Maybe something was in a commercial?

Oops, and in my post correcting a misspelling, I misspelled the song name. Here's Silvia:

Miike Snow - Silvia - YouTube

Doh. I stand corrected :p. From my poking around online it looks as though it's a Swedish pop band. So there's that solved.

Yeah. The name sounds familiar to me, I just can't remember if I've ever heard anything by them. Maybe I just know the name and that's it. I dunno.

Kinda liked that song, though. I like the singer's voice and the piano bits. Interesting video, too.

This Miike talk reminded me about Paddling Out; I heard it in January and loved it and forgot about it until now :doh:

Silvia was one of my favorite songs that year. I never bought the record though. Is the whole record good? I heard and liked 3 or 4 songs.

Silvia was one of my favorite songs that year. I never bought the record though. Is the whole record good? I heard and liked 3 or 4 songs.

I really like it. If you like 3 or 4 songs, I think you'll like most, if not all of the rest of the songs.

corianderstem said:
:hi5:

Another Sconnie and I at work were talking some years back about cheese curds, and most everyone else around had this appalled reaction. "What the hell is a cheese curd? Curd! It sounds disgusting!"

Hello?! It's cheese! How could it be disgusting? They're amazing!

I won't tell you how they reacted when we talked about how they squeak.

I have sampled the cheese curds at the Tillamook factory and they are squeaky, so it isn't like squeaky curds are an unheard of concept in PNW.

I stopped buying Kraft and that kind of processed stuff a long time ago, but you can usually find Annie's Organic/All-Natural mac & cheese in several different varieties on sale at Target and still get your fix. Just because it's powder doesn't mean it has to be shit.

I don't know if the rest of you have the new supermarket chain Fresh & Easy, but it's now surpassed Trader Joe's as my favorite grocery store. They similarly have their own label for most of their food, but the cool thing is that most of their stuff is clearly marked "no artificial flavors or colors, no preservatives". And I have to say, their Smoked Four Cheese flavor is perhaps the best mac & cheese I've ever had that wasn't served in a restaurant. It's a little more than the regular but $1.40 a box isn't a ripoff anyway.

So fucking good.

Yeah, Wal-Mart's got Annie's as well. I keep wanting to buy it because that bunny is adorable, but something stops me every time. I suppose it's the haunting blue glow of The Cheesiest.

I have sampled the cheese curds at the Tillamook factory and they are squeaky, so it isn't like squeaky curds are an unheard of concept in PNW.

Ooh, I'll have to try those sometime. I do want to visit Oregon again, hopefully this year. I want to take a long weekend, visit some friends in Portland and drive along the Columbia river to see the gorgeous stuff.

Beecher's does a decent curd as well. And their mac and cheese is pretty damned good, come to think of it.

I don't know if the rest of you have the new supermarket chain Fresh & Easy,

Never heard of it. But I love Trader Joe's, so I'll keep my eyes out for this one. Maybe it'll come up here.

I grew up 20-30 mins from a dairy that supplies most grocery stores in Utah, so I grew up thinking cheese curds were a normal part of life. Didn't realize until I got older that they are not.

That said, I've never had them fried.

Haha. I like the deli's in Whole Foods a great deal, but I don't live close enough to one for it to be practical.

Elfa, any discussion of vegan food will always end up in your gravy hatred.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom