Random Music Talk LIV: A Wretched Hive of Scum and Villainy (and Mac & Cheese)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Murphy's was dope, Laz. Thick head, creamy texture, pleasant flavor. Wish it were easier to find the rest of the year, I only see it around in March.

I will second the Murphy's :up:

I had a Guinness tonight, however, and I'm sticking to saying I like it a lot.

Everything I like about Guinness is more prevalent in Murphy's. This tastes more like coffee than beer.

I'm so glad we've got that absinthe. I've got a novel to finish.

I really want to hear this.

Do they not have Youtube in your neck of the country? :wink:

(I do not know what's up with her Totally 80s hair in this picture.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI65rdrVTdg

I like Guinness just fine, thankyouverymuch.

I had about half a bottled Guinness with dinner. Half was about all I could do.

I also tried a recipe for Irish brown bread. It turned out better than I thought, but it tastes nothing like what I had over there. I've come across about a zillion different recipes for it.

I could really use some soda bread right about now, but I was chugging Bailey's straight from the bottle a second ago. I'm past the point of no return.

Wish it were easier to find the rest of the year, I only see it around in March.

Really? I've never had a hard time finding it. And I lived in Albuquerque for a year.

Is there a BevMo near you? And I would think the better supermarkets would carry it too.

Murphy's Irish Red Ale ain't bad either.

Really? I've never had a hard time finding it. And I lived in Albuquerque for a year.

Is there a BevMo near you? And I would think the better supermarkets would carry it too.

I'll have to keep an eye out for it from now on. I hadn't been looking for it before, so I can't say that I've seen it in stores.

lazarus said:

I didn't find it in a supermarket, no. Went to a rather large liquor store and it was out on a display. I'll keep an eye out for it in the coming weeks, because I will certainly be purchasing it again.

The color red and Albuquerque reminded me that a friend who went to U of A swore that in Tuscon they sold Red Keystone, instead of the blue swill. Can any southwesterners confirm this? I have never seen this.

Do they not have Youtube in your neck of the country? :wink:

(I do not know what's up with her Totally 80s hair in this picture.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI65rdrVTdg

Heh. Forgot to look. My brain has been functioning slowly the last couple days for some reason :p. I blame the warm weather.

Listening now. I like it. She's got an interesting voice. In the vein of an Annie Lennox type or something like that (not saying she sounds like her, but there's similarities of sorts there).

I particularly like the use of the strings throughout.

Is it bad that whenever I see the word/name "Murphy" all I can think of is James?

I just got back from the F1 Grand Prix (it's actually hard to believe they're that loud) where there was also a music festival going on. Pretty shit stuff, and as Flo Rida was the last person on, we promptly got the fuck out of there.

DJs The Stafford Brothers played, with a guy by the name of "Timmy Trumpet".

ttrumpetmain.jpg

He plugs his trumpet in and plays over the top of beats. In an even more docuhey fashion than you can imagine. My mate remarked that he was "only the second person I've ever seen make the trumpet cool" (the other being Flea) and I almost vomited right in his face.

I'd highly recommend it. I actually went to a showcase this afternoon with all Australian bands. Will tweet you and see if you recognize any of them.

Unfortunately Gambino broke his foot and couldn't make the party I went to a couple nights ago. Got on my Santigold shit there at least.

I recognised Dead Letter Circus (our tryhard answer to ATDI, they suck), Pond (cool psych rock band who opened for Flaming Lips, good) and Oh Mercy, who are okay. Not sure if you saw Big Scary at all, but they're a pretty good Aussie band:

Big Scary - Leaving Home (Vacation - 2011) - YouTube

Sucks about Gambeezy, I saw your tweet and felt vicariously bummed.

So what I envisage SXSW being is Austin just turns into a massive festival, where great bands play for free or for very little at all the venues in town, and there's free or cheap food and drink, plus heaps of other awesome shit. How close am I to the mark?

Listening now. I like it. She's got an interesting voice. In the vein of an Annie Lennox type or something like that (not saying she sounds like her, but there's similarities of sorts there).

I particularly like the use of the strings throughout.

I think on its own, it's probably not going to make a lot of people do more than shrug and say "that's nice that an opera singer knows who Muse is."

Me, I'm mostly impressed because a singer who usually sings like this ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRaMOka3xzo

... can have such a rich sound in her lower register.

The arrangement they did with the symphony was really cool, speaking of strings. Wish I had a recording of that to share instead. I liked watching the cellists playing Muse. :lol:

I mentioned this on Facebook last night, but hell, it's music and it's random.

How did I go for so many years not having explored the Pogues discography beyond the one greatest hits disc I have?

First I heard Pogue Mahone, and I thought "Well, this is okay, but it's not quite what I thought." And then I looked online and saw it was the first non-Shane album. Ah, okay.

Then I heard Rum, Sodomy and The Lash and I thought "OKAY YES HERE WE GO."

Can't wait to hear some more.

Also listened to a little Gaelic Storm. First up was Bring Yer Wellies, and it was just okay. Pretty underwhelming. Then I listened to their self-titled album, and LOVED IT. Hope there is more like that one in their line-up.

I just downloaded the bonus track (Katie) to that Perfume Genius album from Amazon. When the piano intro started, I thought, "Oh, maybe this will be a more uplifting ending to the record." But alas, no, when he starts singing it's just as depressing as the rest. Great album but hauntingly melancholy.

So, based on the "rate the song results" thread, if I like One, I am a casual U2 fan, and if I hate One, I am a dedicated U2 fan.

I know someone says this every other day, but surely this is the stupidest argument seen on Interference in a long time.

Why anyone continues to engage with this Nick fellow is beyond me. It seems pretty obvious that he is just trolling by being contrarian about anything and everything.

I know you won't, but I'd dearly love you to weigh in on the argument iYup. It would be entertaining.

I was tempted on a few occasions, but once people start prognosticating about what band members or other fans are thinking as though they have some clairvoyant power or something, any rational discussion has ended. I'm a pretty firm believer in recognizing and avoiding un-winnable arguments.

Pop is an ACTUAL pop album! U2 sucks because they FAILED artistically! I want to hate Pop so damn badly I'll take what I can get woooooooOOOOOO!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom