Random Music Talk LII: No Cobbler, No Cry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
F U C-3PO

4-Q-2

4Q2.PNG

All my two-dimensional boundaries were gone
I had lost to them badly
I saw that world crumble and thought I was dead
But I found my senses still working
And as I continued to drop through the hole
I found all surrounding
To show me that joy innocently is
Just be quiet and feel it around you
And I opened my heart to the whole universe
And I found it was loving
And I saw the great blunder my teachers had made
Scientific delirium madness

One episode to go in season two of Breaking Bad. I love it, I do, but christ it is just so fucking bleak. I feel like I need to go and watch a few episodes of Malcolm in the Middle, particularly after that final scene in the penultimate ep, where
Walt watches Jane choke to death on her own vomit.

Anyone else have that problem? Or am I just a sad sack that's watched far too many episodes of Friends?

Actually, that was exactly the point where I thought it had finally turned into a great show.

I disagree. I think the show was absolutely brilliant from the start, and season 1 remains my favorite because the character development during that season is unfathomably great.

When Walt stood up to those bullies for his son, man, it stopped me cold. Perfect.

The scene Cobbler referred to is where the spiral gets out of control, but Walt's first murder is the saddest one to me, and toughest to watch. Again, it's all about characterization, not intensity.

I feel that the first two seasons often suffered from some cheap plot devices, iffy acting (Aaron Paul improved magnificently as time went by) and uneven pacing (the middle of season 2 was especially slow, while some of the first episodes of season 1 went by way too fast). It is with the introduction of Gus and Mike, along with the aforementioned Walt's first truly unforgivable sin, is where I feel the show truly found its ground and hit its stride.

And characterisation is always what I'm looking for first, especially in a TV show. I believe that season 3 was by far the most successful in this department.

I agree with LM in that I think it has been great from the start, even if it was a liiiiittle slow to get going. Don't get me wrong, I do think it is a brilliant show. Cranston's acting may be the best I've ever seen. In some ways I hate that the eps go for 45 minutes because I just cannot wait to see all the twists and turns the show takes and how the characterisation takes place.

I had a much harder time watching that murder than Krazy Eight's. I guess I was still feeling for Walt at that point.

The addition of Gus, man. Loved that part. Hoping we get to see more of him.

I think for me it really just comes down to my earlier point - I've seen too many episodes of Friends, HIMYM, light-hearted shows and movies like that and Breaking Bad is challenging me more than those shows ever could.

I like light at the end of the tunnel. I'm a sap. Still a long way behind all of you, but I'm not anticipating a great deal of light, is all. That doesn't in any way take away from how good the show is.

I actually don't know anything more depressing than Friends.

God I hate that show.

For all the emotional heft, Breaking Bad is fucking funny. That's what makes it so immensely addicting and human. My favorite shows usually strike a good balance between the two. Even a show as supposedly "esoteric" as Twin Peaks hit on a deeply human and relatable level beyond the supernatural elements.

One of the "weaknesses" of Breaking Bad is that you set your brain on cruise control during seasons 3 and 4 and begin to expect violence, and the show feeds it to you. The first couple of seasons spread out the insanity a little better, which, coupled with the unique setting and great characterizations made the show one of my favorites almost immediately. But, even with my expectations, the writers still find ways to surprise me, which is pretty impressive. I was stunned by the season 4 finale. And the characters just keep getting deeper, which helps keep you interested during the more generic portions of the show.

Also, I'm not sure if I love or hate the fact that the middle portion of every season is relatively dull. It just makes the final 3-4 episodes incredible, but I'll never want to watch those weak ones again out of context.

Believe me, Saul gets even funnier. I find basically everything he says side-splitting though because I love lawyer humor (Lionel Hutz is my favorite Simpsons character).

Also, Friends is a bland nothing. I find the characters generic, each one fitting whatever role needs to be filled for a cast of that particular size, and the scripts aren't anything to write home about. HIMYM shits all over it because it has a handful of fucking awesome characters.

Don't mind me, I'm a lot harsher on TV shows than I am music. Maybe it's because watching a season of a show takes longer than listening to an album, but if a show really sucks and is really popular, I despise it. Like, I want to burn it to the ground and salt the earth. Conversely, when a show is really great and gets popular, I'm overjoyed. Breaking Bad is one of those. It's really great to be able to comment on a quality show with a sizable fanbase, whereas it really sucks to always hear people talking about awful shows like Family Guy. I can't escape that shit, and it's terrible.

I dunno, music just doesn't seem to work that way. It's easier to be casual about.

And the characters just keep getting deeper,

This is probably the thing I love most about the show. Ever since his mostly amazing run on The X-Files, Vince Gilligan sure as hell knew how to create tension. There are couple of scenes on Breaking Bad that are unrivalled as far as nerve-wracking intensity goes, where all hell breaks loose. And what Gilligan understands perfectly - it always happens on a character level, in an intimate setting, which makes the viewer more involved emotionally.

If Breaking Bad accomplished something entirely, it's that constant feeling throughout where the main two characters are simply waaay over their heads, and they just keep fucking themselves up in an already helpless situation over and over again. It's like spiraling into hell on meth.

Breaking Bad really is something special.

And if anyone has HBO and isn't watching Luck, I hope you get run over by a trash truck, scooped off the pavement and thrown in the back where the pneumatic crushing device squeezes you down into a pulpy dribble.

What is Luck?

Also, I think BoMac broke the MLB thread. I can get on to every page on this site except for page 53 (the current page) of the MLB thread.

Something about Gary Carter, I'm guessing. Maybe his post was so sad that the server won't let us see it.

Or maybe a Canadian just went and fucked up again.

If that happens to me this weekend, you're in serious trouble, mister.

Oh... well, I should start setting up a solid alibi for Sunday night just in case.

But seriously, does Nick Nolte's Richard Attenborough impression not rock your socks off?

Oh... well, I should start setting up a solid alibi for Sunday night just in case.

But seriously, does Nick Nolte's Richard Attenborough impression not rock your socks off?

I don't know; I haven't watched it. Hence my reaction to your wish that I get annihilated by a bus. :wink:

I had the first two episodes on my DVR, watched about half of the first episode and just decided I wasn't interested. I may come back to it later if I consistently hear stuff about how amazing it is, but it's not in my TV rotation for now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom