Random Music Talk LII: No Cobbler, No Cry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
1. Dick Fantasy
2. Engorgeous
3. Powerjuice
4. All Of The Thais
5. Mastur
6. So ATLed
7. Bedeviled By Dude In Dress
8. Rub Away
9. FAIL of a Life
10. Shame Game
11. Kast in the World
12. Who Will Serve Fries In Australia?

tumblr_l0gq07U2sL1qbzbxso1_500.jpg

The best. Him and the Hawaiian guy. Otherwise, that show was pretty shit.

Oh, man, I forgot about that show.

Yeah. I couldn't get into it much, either.

Based on that recent p4K article about Albarn's upcoming projects, it sounds like a new Blur album is basically a done deal at some point. Awesome news.

This news excites me, too. Hope they come Stateside if a tour happens.

So far the only Blur albums I actually own are Blur and 13. But I've heard songs off the other ones mentioned in this thread-some more listening to do! Yay!

I am listening to Broken Social Scene on this lazy day. Forgiveness Rock Record is my favourite of the three I've heard, by a long, long, way. YFIIP is next, and then the self-titled is further back. I find most of it boring, to be honest, though Ibi, Shoreline, Fire Eye'd Boy, Superconnected and It's All Gonna Break (off-putting lyrics aside) are good tunes.

Any other BSS-related albums I should hear?

The best. Him and the Hawaiian guy. Otherwise, that show was pretty shit.
I liked it a lot as a kid but I can't even remeber who the Hawaiian guy is though.

I listened to F♯A♯∞ by Godspeed You Black Emperor! for the first time in ages yesterday and man, what an experience. I could never really get into that album but it just clicked yesterday. The climax in East Hastings is jaw-dropping.

Pure wild speculation at this point just based on that little article on Pitchfork, but how fucking great would it be if James Murphy produced the next full-length album by Arcade Fire?

Probably won't ever happen but, man. That feels like it would be a winning combination.

Pure wild speculation at this point just based on that little article on Pitchfork, but how fucking great would it be if James Murphy produced the next full-length album by Arcade Fire?

Probably won't ever happen but, man. That feels like it would be a winning combination.

Of far greater interest to me is that confirmation that we will be getting a full concert film of that MSG show.

Here's hoping Hamish Hamilton got nowhere near it.

nielsgov said:
I liked it a lot as a kid but I can't even remeber who the Hawaiian guy is though.

I listened to F♯A♯∞ by Godspeed You Black Emperor! for the first time in ages yesterday and man, what an experience. I could never really get into that album but it just clicked yesterday. The climax in East Hastings is jaw-dropping.

It's their best, simply because I can't usually be bothered to listen to Skinny Fists in full.

In small doses, they've got to be the finest post-rock band out there. Well, except for late-period Talk Talk; Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock are probably the best post-rock albums I've ever heard.

Well I finally succumbed at listened to Pretzel Logic, some 18 or so months after buying it. And it's pretty damn great. Fagen is a great vocalist. Obviously I already knew (and loved) Rikki Don't Lose That Number, but other highlights were Any Major Dude Will Tell You, Barrytown, Parker's Band (a nod to Charlie?) and the title track, which had some seriously good guitar playing. Would kill to hear that live.

If I were you, I would have worked backwards, but Pretzel Logic is a good second album. Lots of variety, and many standouts. Parker's Band is indeed about Charlie Parker. While I've not investigated his music too closely, one of my great family music-related stories is that my grandfather jammed with Parker back in the day.

Don't delay on hearing Katy Lied because the reviews are relatively lukewarm; if you love Aja, it's probably the 70s album of theirs that it has most in common with, while also exhibiting some variety.

I really don't care which order I work in, it seems to bother you all more than it does me :)

Can't Buy a Thrill is the other SD record I have that I haven't heard yet.

Listening to Oneirology again at the moment. Fuck it's good. The production is astounding and the rappers work so well with it. Shame it got fuck all attention.

cobl04 said:
Shame it got fuck all attention.

Indeed. Oh well, I did my part.

Most wanted radio station: anything that plays artists like CunninLynguists, Big L, old school Outkast, basically any hip-hop that isn't punchline bullshit. Why is underground hip-hop so difficult to find on the radio and all of the indie rock favorites are in good supply? Hell, I'd take a hip-hop oldies station so I can hear Dead Presidents and Eye Know on a somewhat regular basis.

Katy Lied was my first favorite SD album. Before I became a Countdown to Ecstasy disciple. The Michael McDonald b.vox on that album just soar.

Pretzel Logic is a mixed bag for me. Some phenomenal standouts (title track, Rikki, Night by Night, Major Dude), but the mini-songs on the second half don't carry a lot of weight.

And I've never been a big fan of Barrytown or Parker's Band.

It's their best, simply because I can't usually be bothered to listen to Skinny Fists in full.

In small doses, they've got to be the finest post-rock band out there. Well, except for late-period Talk Talk; Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock are probably the best post-rock albums I've ever heard.
They're one of my favourites but I still prefer early Sigur Ros. I love Skinny Fists as well when I'm in the mood for it.

I am still discovering the genre though. I haven't even heard the albums you mentioned for instance, and I know they're classics.

So a band I'd never heard of called Zammuto are opening for Explosions in the Sky on their upcoming tour. Anyways, these guys have a song called "F U C-3PO".

I like that.

Back
Top Bottom