Random Music Talk LII: No Cobbler, No Cry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

I'm so glad you enjoyed that, because I was really proud of that joke. :lol:

My parents didn't have much by way of rock and roll. My dad had a Harry Belafonte album I liked, and a double-live Peter, Paul and Mary record that I LOVED. My mom had one Neil Diamond record, and Captain & Tenille. Ha. (They had others, but those were the only ones I cared about.)

My youngest aunt was where I got the rock and roll exposure from. That and WIFC, Wausau's hottest (read: only) rock and roll station.

You and me/Cant you see
War no more/Fighting for

:doh: fucking guy

I will never stop posting that song when the chance arises. Fucking best thing ever written.

The making of video for it is even better, somehow.

It can go both ways. If all they play is Beatles based on some sort of Holy Beatles/shit-kids-listen-to-nowadays trip, then that's worse than no Beatles.

:love:

Where would some 14 year old hear about the Beatles, though? Let's say they aren't passionate about music (which would inspire them to seek out stuff that's not on the radio). Let's say their parents aren't big music lovers, so they're not going to hear it from them. They're certainly not going to hear the Beatles on whatever "hot jams" radio station they probably listen to, and they're not going to see it on MTV.

I don't find it too depressing, because of that. Kids who love (or will later find their love of) music will discover stuff on their own time. Maybe right now some of those kids are too busy entertaining themselves by saying stupid shit on Twitter to care about music, but for some of them, someday they will be shot through the heart by the Cupid of Music, and then they'll be aces. Aces, Johnny!

This. How did you all find out about Ella Fitzgerald? Did your otherwise excellent parents play her for you all the time like mine did?

This. How did you all find out about Ella Fitzgerald? Did your otherwise excellent parents play her for you all the time like mine did?

I found out about her because I exist and if you have never heard "At Last" you live in the arctic tundra.

For many years, I got her confused with Billie Holiday and thought "I don't care for her voice." Then I finally realized my error, and now I love Ella. (I appreciate Billie, but prefer Ella's ease over Billie's pain.)

I just love a singer with such a smooth, effortless voice. So much talent to make it sound soooooo easy. Love! (I should clarify that I don't actually listen to a lot of jazz/big band/blues/whatever category(ies) those lovely ladies fall into. I have two Ella CDs and that's about it.)

Also: Thanks, BoMac! :love:

Today I learned the biological case for playing Mozart around children. If my options are causing my kids to potentially rebel against Big Star or giving them underdeveloped auditory grouping skills, I'll take my chances.

That and they won't make so many ignorant comments on twitter. A ton, but probably not about the Beatles.

Today I learned the biological case for playing Mozart around children. If my options are causing my kids to potentially rebel against Big Star or giving them underdeveloped auditory grouping skills, I'll take my chances.

That and they won't make so many ignorant comments on twitter. A ton, but probably not about the Beatles.

Rockabye Baby, I want them all:

Amazon.com: rockabye baby: Music

I've never read the book(s) about it, but I always wondered why Mozart and not Bach? Fuck, Bach was the math rock god of his time. Such intricate perfection, it's like the most gorgeous math shit ever.

(I should note that I don't really understand what "math rock" is. I just wanted to say something remotely clever about Bach's mathematical badassery.)

No shade at Mozart, though. Guy's a baller. Or something.

I think part of it is that I can sing along to Ella. Billie, not so much. I mean come on - I'm no David Sedaris!

Yeah, a little harpsichord goes a long way, but just the structure of the fugues - it's amazing! He wrote so much music, like the church would say "Hey, we need something for this week, chop-chop, Johnny!" and BAM! Perfection on a plate, served up to God.

My favorite music professor from college just moved to the Portland area and is on Facebook, so we've reconnected, and we were having a nice conversation on FB about the Renee Fleming book, and then my good friend (another music major from the college) piped in and we had a nice little reminiscing. That's some good times among music folk.

I think, too, the reason so many young people don't know/care about the Beatles is because they fail to see how they have any relevance to their lives. I'm never going to truly understand the mania of them arriving Stateside in the early '60s because I wasn't around then. I've seen the clips on TV, but that's not the same as actually experiencing it.

A lot of kids just tend to get annoyed with what they see as excessive baby boomer nostalgia-"It was so much better in my day." I happen to love the Beatles (and agree with Cori on those George Harrison songs discussed earlier), but I can understand where that can get annoying to younger generations. And then there are the kids who do like the classic groups, but you get the feeling they say that just because they feel they "have" to, or that it's the "cool" thing to do.

I was pretty lucky. My dad worked in radio most of his life, worked at pretty much every sort of station imaginable, and we had music encyclopedias and such all over our house. We used to have a big album collection, and a bunch of mix tapes, and my parents used to play them around the house all the time, or when we were in the car, or whatever. And our family's musical tastes crossed a wide spectrum-we all have our pet favorite genres, but we'll listen to anything if it appeals to us. So I got to grow up being exposed to all the classic music (and music that some wouldn't consider "classic", but which my family still liked). I'm sorely lacking in a personal album collection, but that's mainly been due to lack of money, lack of good stores, and other various factors-as time goes on I will fix this. But I know tons and tons of songs and artists. And I owe my interest to my parents.

Plus, anyone who thinks TUF is perfect but thinks all the 90's songs are overrated should be harvested for organs. While alive.

What about those of us who love both :)?

I'm apparently missing out on some really interesting stuff in the EYKIW area. I only pop in there every once in a while nowadays-it's sort of like when I was in school and I'd hear about fights breaking out in the hallways. By the time I heard about them, they were done, and I totally missed seeing them unfold (not that I'd stay and watch, necessarily, but they always seemed to take, like, 30 seconds at best, it seems).

From a few pages back:

English majors have to have at least a masters if they want their degrees to accomplish anything for them. I still believe a BFA can useful in some professions, but not in English. Most of the majors I know are looking to teach the subject at some level, so there you go. Get a couple more years in, secure a teaching credential, and start making some money.

If you want to study journalism, you probably could get work with a bachelor's, but you won't find the opportunities that folks like Cobbler and I get from our newspapers/internships anywhere else. I personally find a lot of the journalism curriculum pretty pointless, most of what you learn is hands-on, but you're going to have to head back if you want regular writing work. If I get some connections going, I may not need to go to grad school at all in order to make money, but I probably will anyway unless the chance of a lifetime passes my way. People are encouraging me to write weekly and care what I have to say, which is good incentive for me to improve.

:sigh: Something I'm going to need to keep in mind, then. I love writing and want to make a career out of it, too-kinda interested in journalism, mainly want to write stories and non-fiction books. But it looks like I'll have a long way to go to achieve that.

Dang, me and my droogs was all up in Germany church. You know my kind. Can't even eat, let alone tithe, so we was all huddled in the back, trying to stay inconspicuous and shit. We was there, waiting to hear the 'Bach do his thang. All them fugues and canons and shit, they was sick as hell. What blows is that there wasn't any recording equipment back then, so when he got swallowed up by them jaws o' death, his shit was lost. But now, thanks to Best of The Bach, you can get all the best shit. Dang, this like the Nile, but all German and shit. Fuuuuuuuck

Haha, no demons. A lot of funny stories and a couple of embarrassing ones.

In summary:

- Bought Dr Dre's Beats headphones for $78, retail $300
- Requested Hey Ya at a club
- Marvelled at the awesomeness that is Phi Phi Island and the surrounding islands
- Had the loosest night ever at the full moon party (my mate woke up on a farm on the other side of Koh Phangan)
- Requested Monster at a club
- Got an indie haircut
- Drank many beers
- Spent very little for a lot
- Shot a 9mm (may post the photo)
- Got grabbed on the dick by ladyboys

Great, great times but thank fuck I'm home. Sick to death of hearing the same 10 songs over and over.

The thing with me and the Beatles has been a pretty interesting journey, to me anyways.

I loved listening to music with my parents, it's the reason why I love Sabbath and Pink Floyd as well as new wave. The fact is though, for some reason, I always hated the Beatles. My dad wasn't like a mega-fan or anything, either, so it's not that.

Recently, I've begun to acknowledge that I am a fan, at least haltingly. I love Abbey Road and Sgt. Peppers, and I enjoy Revolver, and Let It Be a great deal. The fact is, there are still a lot of things about them I don't like, especially the hype surrounding them.

The strangest thing, however, is the fact that I've begun to be ok with wearing Beatles clothing and whatnot, but when someone asks me if I'm a fan of theirs while I'm wearing such a shirt it takes me a moment to say yes. I don't know why it's such a big deal for me to admit that I'm a fan of theirs. I guess because I spent 22 years not being? I don't know...

Why are you wearing Beatles clothing if you're NOT a fan?

That sounds awful, but I assume anyone wearing a band shirt must be a pretty big fan of that band.

That is interesting, though. (No, really!) I can understand the hype being offputting (although it makes me sad when someone writes a band/movie/show off completely without exploring it just because of hype).

Where would some 14 year old hear about the Beatles, though? Let's say they aren't passionate about music (which would inspire them to seek out stuff that's not on the radio). Let's say their parents aren't big music lovers, so they're not going to hear it from them. They're certainly not going to hear the Beatles on whatever "hot jams" radio station they probably listen to, and they're not going to see it on MTV.

I see a lot of teenagers at work, and a surprising number of them wear Beatles shirts. They are finding out about the band somewhere.

Bach's choral music is also ballin'.

I'm not a huge Beatles fan myself. I think they're incredibly overhyped and over worshipped. I do love a few albums, but I have what I want. They weren't God, but a very high-up set of saints, maybe.

Back
Top Bottom