Random Music Talk LII: No Cobbler, No Cry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ooh! Rather than clutter up the page with videos, here's a few others of theirs I love. I'm sure GAF has his own picks, too.

Untouchable
Wake Me Up

And two covers:

Jump
Teenage Dirtbag (LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE)

Was going to say, I was wondering what all here who like them would recommend. Thanks, listening now.

I think Cori and I are the only people on this message board that like them.

Actually, that's not true. Finance Guy has said that he likes a few of their songs. And also, Cactus Annie likes them.

If that's not the craziest crew of Girls Aloud fans ever assembled on a U2 message board, I don't know what is!

Well, I've been trying to start a band on this message board for years. So you know I'm in. We need peef and LeMel in the band, for sure.

And even though he's a wild Canadian son of a bitch, Jive has a pretty good voice, so he can be in the band, too.

Interesting that you say that. Alex Turner, the lead songwriter of the band, is a huge James Bond fan.

And a lot of critics and fans stated that they thought his side-project, The Last Shadow Puppets, sounded like James Bond theme music.

The more I hear Suck It And See the more I realize it should have placed higher on my year end list for the Bang & Clatter poll.

Great fucking album.

SHA LA LA LA

They're the best, man.

The catalogue of tunes that they already have, the four album output and all the EPs and b-sides and unreleased stuff - and none of them are older than 26? Daaaaaaaaaaamn.

He is a defenseman for the Flyers and he is very overrated. He plays in the same pairing as Kimmo Timonen, who is very good and covers a lot of his mistakes. The Flyers need to trade for a defenseman.

Ah, I see. Thanks :).

Seems to be a few players like that out there lately, get all the glory but many out there don't think they're all that great, at least judging from the debates I see/read about them. I have no ability to judge that for myself.

I think Cori and I are the only people on this message board that like them.

Actually, that's not true. Finance Guy has said that he likes a few of their songs. And also, Cactus Annie likes them.

If that's not the craziest crew of Girls Aloud fans ever assembled on a U2 message board, I don't know what is!

That is an assortment of fans there, definitely!

But hey, I know the feeling, I seem to have some unpopular music opinions around here from time to time, too. Ah, well. To each their own. I don't mind the songs I heard so far (and Cori, thanks for the other recommendations, I'll check those out soon here, too).

As for this band thing, ooh, hey, can I be the crazy stalker fan a la Kristin Schall's character in "Flight of the Conchords"?

I wanted to stand up and cheer when she appeared on 30 Rock two weeks back.

I wanted to stand up and cheer when she appeared on 30 Rock two weeks back.

Man, I'm way behind on my 30 Rock this season.

Do we even have a thread for this season of 30 Rock? I only saw the season premiere, and that's it. One of my favorite shows ever but for some reason I just haven't gotten around to it yet this year. I'll have to jump on the Hulu one of these days and catch up.

You'll love it, GAF. This season has been a bit of a return to form. The last few episodes have had me laughing as much as I used to in the first two seasons of the show. Good stuff.

So I have a bachelor's degree in English, from a very good university, but it's just been collecting dust now for a couple years and I haven't landed any kind of real job and don't really know what to do. I probably shouldn't have majored in English!

But, anyway, should I go back to school? Do the whole grad school thing? I was just doing a little bit of research on Journalism grad schools. I don't know. Should I put myself in huge debt and go back and hit the books again?

I don't know. I'm having a weirdly reflective day. It's all good, though.

English majors have to have at least a masters if they want their degrees to accomplish anything for them. I still believe a BFA can useful in some professions, but not in English. Most of the majors I know are looking to teach the subject at some level, so there you go. Get a couple more years in, secure a teaching credential, and start making some money.

If you want to study journalism, you probably could get work with a bachelor's, but you won't find the opportunities that folks like Cobbler and I get from our newspapers/internships anywhere else. I personally find a lot of the journalism curriculum pretty pointless, most of what you learn is hands-on, but you're going to have to head back if you want regular writing work. If I get some connections going, I may not need to go to grad school at all in order to make money, but I probably will anyway unless the chance of a lifetime passes my way. People are encouraging me to write weekly and care what I have to say, which is good incentive for me to improve.

Yeah, and I have very little interest in becoming a teacher. So I didn't really think this one through when I first started college. Oh, well!

Best of luck, GAF.

If you want to study journalism, you probably could get work with a bachelor's, but you won't find the opportunities that folks like Cobbler and I get from our newspapers/internships anywhere else. I personally find a lot of the journalism curriculum pretty pointless, most of what you learn is hands-on, but you're going to have to head back if you want regular writing work. If I get some connections going, I may not need to go to grad school at all in order to make money, but I probably will anyway unless the chance of a lifetime passes my way. People are encouraging me to write weekly and care what I have to say, which is good incentive for me to improve.

Most of my friends and colleagues in the business have a Bachelor's only, as do I. But I managed to land a pretty great gig, after taking a few years off after graduation. I did a couple of one-week internships in university, but never wrote for my school paper.

Most of my friends and colleagues in the business have a Bachelor's only, as do I. But I managed to land a pretty great gig, after taking a few years off after graduation. I did a couple of one-week internships in university, but never wrote for my school paper.

Internships are more or less built into my curriculum, so fingers crossed that I land a similarly great gig from that. I intend on taking a year or so off to look elsewhere after graduation, and if that doesn't take, I'll head back for grad school.

Fwiw, I'm not actually a journalism major, I'm a professional writing major. Many professional writing majors wind up in journalism, but the majors have distinct courses. My specialty is less on reporting and more on composition, education, copy editing, etc. and that's probably the field I'll end up in, with some freelance work for publications thrown in. If I wind up working as a staff writer somewhere, it won't be for my academic grasp of the field.

Since Cobbler is not here to post this.....

I got on here just now to do this. Great minds and all.

Do we even have a thread for this season of 30 Rock?

We don't due to my foul laziness. I'll bring the previous thread up.

Do we not have a thread for The Kills?

Just listening to their cover of Pale Blue Eyes from their new EP.

Oh my goodness... :drool:

We never really talked about them all that much outside of lusting after Mosshart, if memory serves. Which is a shame. I'm a big fan. Believe Martha is too.

I should probably start a thread for this (and other candidates), but this has got to be the most pointless/awful/confusing compilation I've ever seen:

Tough Love: The Best of the Ballads by Aerosmith : Reviews and Ratings - Rate Your Music

I mean, OK, let's take this apart. First, the cover. Fuckkkkk. Second, why would anyone want something like this? Phil Collins' Most Embarrassing Sellouts and Bob Dylan: Worst of Self Portrait would be more appealing. Third, when did Love In An Elevator, Sweet Emotion and Rag Doll become ballads?

...Holy shit, what did they do to Sweet Emotion??!

Imperor said:
We never really talked about them all that much outside of lusting after Mosshart, if memory serves. Which is a shame. I'm a big fan. Believe Martha is too.

Me too. I need to hear this EP.

The Kills have a new ep out?

Looks like the physical product isn't out until the 28th, but it's on iTunes now. It's the single for The Last Goodbye from Blood Pressures, but they're calling it an EP.

It also has covers of Marilyn Monroe's One Silver Dollar and Patsy Cline's Crazy. But the Pale Blue Eyes cover just, um, kills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90HKC8JVMM0

I have no idea how the industry decides what's a maxi-single and what's an EP. I guess having three new tracks, even if they're covers, tips it toward the latter.

1. Aerosmith sucks. They've sucked post-Toys in the Attic. So the news that they're releasing some pandering compilation ain't news to me.

2. Self-Portrait is one of THE ZIMM's most underrated, I don't care if he disparages it himself. It's better than all the 80's albums between Infidels and Oh Mercy.

3. The Abbey Road thing from the Grammy's was pretty fun, and I can't deny that it put a huge smile on my face, however:

A) what happened to Macca's voice?
B) the guitar jam on The End started out very cool, but went on far too long
C) what the fuck was Bruce playing? Terrible.

4. GAF, have you considered becoming a hairdresser? Actually, the daytime drinking would probably make that kind of rough.

Back
Top Bottom