Random Music Talk LI: In Which We Don't Mention Menstruation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, only two or three slight lapses in quality and some emo lyrics towards the end brings it down a bit for me. Awesome, awesome record, Romance.

By Your Hand is up there with their very best songs however. The two chorus lead-ins are so good.

I'm not sure if it's love anymore
But I've been thinking of you fondly for sure
Remember what your heart is for

"By Your Hand" remains great. "Songs About Your Girlfriend" succeeds despite "always made her purr like a cat" being my least favorite LC! line ever, and the title track is massive. So the opening trifecta is indeed solid. But I love everything else outside of "Hate for the Island." I feel like the record was a big step forward in sound for them. Really, really, really love it.

Also worth mentioning that I think Kim kills her part on "Black Bird/Dark Slope." And I already swooned over "To Tundra" in the album's thread. Up there for my favorite Gareth vocal performances. Tons of passion.

Eerie: in the last day, I listened to Hello Sadness, Goo, and I'm in the middle of Teen Dream in my car.

I need to go buy a lottery ticket. Or leave Interference for awhile. We're in each others' heads. :D

That IS inexplicable.

My dad always told me that's what the people who run classics stations used as their dividing line-10 years old or older and it's automatically "classic" material. On the "classic alternative" Music Choice channel I listen to sometimes here, U2's "Beautiful Day" gets played.

But it's still really bizarre to think that music I heard at 14, 15, 16 years old is already considered "classic" (which generally is a nicer way of saying "old" sometimes, I think).

One night we had the oldies station on in the car, and Mike Harvey's "Super Gold" was on, and they played "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For". A song that came out 3 years after I was born. On an oldies station.

Go figure that one out :huh:.
yeah, it's weird and it makes me feel really old to think about stuff like that. i don't consider anything by u2 to be oldies, but by the definition stuff like ishwilf more than meets the criteria. when i think of oldies music, i still think of music people listened to when there was only black and white tv and people still used party lines.

So you guys don't chuckle at my charming posts over dinner or anything? :sad:

There, there. Your name definitely comes up around here. Anytime my coworkers roll their eyes when I cue up Flaming Lips, I tell them, "It's friggin cobbler's fault!" :D

BTW, I had to google those lyrics. For whatever reason, Bay of Pigs doesn't do much for me.

After two years, I finally have come to love Teen Dream. It's seems so slight and unremarkable at first, but Beach House's melodies are a force to be reckoned with. It's a tremendous example of memorable songwriting married to enveloping production; most every track leads to some wonderful, understated hook that sticks with you for days. And Norway and Lover of Mine are two of my absolute favorite songs of 2010.

I'm willing to give their other records multiple listens if they result in the wonderful payoff that Teen Dream has had.

Probably in my top 5 of the last 5 years

Don't know how long it'll last, but Amazon.com has some incredible deals on some CDs right now. They mainly seem to be back catalogue from Sony/RCA artists, but still. Some go for as low as $0.70.
Here's a link with the deals: The Best Amazon and Newegg Deals -- DEAL Chasr
Quantities seem to be limited (i.e. some deals are already back at regular prices) but for those interested, start splurging! :)

Jive Turkey said:
Have fun, Cobbler. Remember: big hands are a dead giveaway

Got that advice on my first day of high school.

Cobbler, if you travel back in time, don't step on anything, because even the tiniest change will alter the future in ways you can't possibly imagine.

:wave:

He would probably go to the Atlanta neighborhood where OutKast formed, and try to insinuate himself as the third member during the early days.

I started listening to The 2 Bears album on my morning commute. Now THIS is a "club-sounding" pop album. No way in a million years Shuttlecock could pull something like this off. No chimey guitars, for starters...

Anyway, it's a fun album, whoever recommended it. Cobbler? Reggo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom