Random Music Talk LI: In Which We Don't Mention Menstruation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just listened to that J Tillman/Father John Misty song like 10 times in a row. It's fucking awesome

It's a really good song, better than anything on Helplessness Blues, but the video is the most important thing for us to discuss here.

While I'm at it, what the fuck possesses people to do this shit?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWc9YaNYga4&feature=related

Not sure. I often tend to bypass people doing covers of songs in their rooms and such. If I want to hear the song, I'm probably just gonna go find the original artist itself (or a cover by a band I really like).

I approve of all the "Community"-related stuff thrown into this discussion, by the way :up: :).

And that Tillman song's good stuff. I love the drums throughout, and the "oooh"s that come in in the latter half of the song? Nice touch. Add in a weird video and we're good to go in my book.

I have now heard three Sonic Youth albums and loved every one of them. They have an impeccable sense of flow and a unique atmosphere - sullen but also groovy and almost sexy. Great band.

I have now heard three Sonic Youth albums and loved every one of them. They have an impeccable sense of flow and a unique atmosphere - sullen but also groovy and almost sexy. Great band.

Bleh. Strongly, strongly dislike Sonic Youth. I started (and ended) with EVOL, which may have been my problem. :shrug: I'm not even 100 % sure why I don't like them, especially since I enjoy similarly experimental music in Inhale, and in a way, Tom Waits and others. Perhaps I should give it another shot.

iron yuppie said:

Which ones?

Daydream Nation, EVOL and Murray Street are probably my three favorites. I doubt those are the three though.

OK, I can't remember why I hated this the first time around.

After two years, I finally have come to love Teen Dream. It's seems so slight and unremarkable at first, but Beach House's melodies are a force to be reckoned with. It's a tremendous example of memorable songwriting married to enveloping production; most every track leads to some wonderful, understated hook that sticks with you for days. And Norway and Lover of Mine are two of my absolute favorite songs of 2010.

I'm willing to give their other records multiple listens if they result in the wonderful payoff that Teen Dream has had.

Mmmmkay, just flipped over to VH1 Classic, and Lenny Kravitz' "Fly Away" is playing on there. That's...very weird.
ugh.

even worse, mtv classic over here loves to play current videos all the time. how is beyonce's latest song classic? not saying it's bad, but for something to be classic, it's got to be at least a decade old.

Silver Soul was the best track for my money.

I really don't like the latest Los Camp! record I'm afraid. Pretty ordinary stuff after the opening trio.

ugh.

even worse, mtv classic over here loves to play current videos all the time. how is beyonce's latest song classic? not saying it's bad, but for something to be classic, it's got to be at least a decade old.

That IS inexplicable.

My dad always told me that's what the people who run classics stations used as their dividing line-10 years old or older and it's automatically "classic" material. On the "classic alternative" Music Choice channel I listen to sometimes here, U2's "Beautiful Day" gets played.

But it's still really bizarre to think that music I heard at 14, 15, 16 years old is already considered "classic" (which generally is a nicer way of saying "old" sometimes, I think).

One night we had the oldies station on in the car, and Mike Harvey's "Super Gold" was on, and they played "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For". A song that came out 3 years after I was born. On an oldies station.

Go figure that one out :huh:.

Finished. Weird as all hell, but not as bad as I remember. Probably not going to become a favorite.

cobl04 said:
I really don't like the latest Los Camp! record I'm afraid. Pretty ordinary stuff after the opening trio.

After countless listens, I've got the exact opposite opinion. I adore it.

cobl04 said:

Life Is A Long Time is terrific. I could honestly take or leave the title track and most everything after LIALT, excluding Death Rattle. To Tundra's chorus sounded great live, but the rest of the song was boring.

iron yuppie said:
These two and Sister, with Sister probably being my favorite.

Great album indeed. If I were to go back and make another best-of-2010 list, Teen Dream would likely now be in the top five.

Sister isn't a favorite for me, after two listens. That one and Goo I don't really get the hype for. I actually want to keep listening to Sister though; Goo just seems like watered-down classic Sonic Youth to me, excluding a handful of great singles.

Yeah, Teen Dream might make my top 5 too. Wish it hadn't taken me so long to start loving it. This happened with The XX too.

After countless listens, I've got the exact opposite opinion. I adore it.

More power to ya. I wish I did. But I was (and still am) just so passionately in love with Romance that it felt like a major downgrade.

Which is kind of weird, when you consider I never had that problem with King of Limbs after it followed In Rainbows.

I'm always stunned to discover that Romance Is Boring wasn't all that well received when so many people I know (myself included) fell in love with the band because of it. Just heard it a few weeks ago and it's still astounding.

I still listen to Romance pretty damned frequently.

And yes, Hello Sadness is a bit of a King of Limbs-type let down. A handful of good tracks but overall not as impressive or enjoyable as its predecessor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom