Random Music Talk LI: In Which We Don't Mention Menstruation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a friend in high school who thought that the Rage Against the Machine cover of that song was an original.

I took off my sneaker and hit him in the ear.

bah.

i didn't even know rage covered that song. but i never did get around to getting the cover album.

I still really like Pretty Hate Machine and Downward Spiral.

Can't say I ever got around to hearing Broken, though.

broken is 50-50.

the fragile is still one of my favorite double albums. probably clock in at the 5 slot behind london calling, exile, quadrophenia, and the river. although, methinks perhaps the river does not belong. the others i listen to in pretty much their entirety cover to cover when i listen to them. the river has too many songs i skip around on (hence the reason the white album isn't here, either). hmm.

Re: The Fragile, two hours of Trent Reznor sounds like the worst thing in the whole world.

Please note that I do enjoy Downward Spiral, but it grates on me after 45 minutes or so. I wish it were a couple tracks shorter. The beats are great, but Reznor's lyrics/persona are so punchable.

That's the Rage album I really like. :reject:

i was pretty much over them by the battle of LA, hence the reason i didn't get it. but since it contains a cover of kick out the jams which i recall being pretty decent, that alone probably makes it more enjoyable than their actual stuff.

i heard guerilla radio the other day for the first time in forever. i put my ipod on shuffle, and found that i still know all the words. other than that, i can't remember the last time i listened to rage.

:reject: this is probably when i confess to having heard their cover of ghost of tom joad years before i finally heard the original (although i always knew it was a cover, because i think a radio broadcast from woodstock 99 was the first time i heard it, and they mentioned that either before or after they played it). either way, i was expecting both springsteen and rage to be covering the woody gutherie tom joad song, which i soon found to not be the case.

I stopped paying attention to Rage after Evil Empire. :shrug: their first album was one of the first three CDs I ever bought along with AB and Broken by NIN... Ah, the 90's :cute:

Too bad, Elfa, Evil Empire was probably their weakest. Plus, you missed on the jab at U2 in Battle of LA with the line, "Everything can change on a New Years Day".

OH SNAP!!!!!

I think The Battle of Los Angeles is Rage's best album.

:shrug:

Haven't gotten to Battle of Los Angeles yet. I find Evil Empire to be pretty OK, but it's more inconsistent than the debut and I found the production pretty flat. Rage is a good band though, wish I could have seen them live a few years back.

The Fragile > White Album & The River?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

not actually what i said. i shouldn't even need to say that the river and the white album contains songs that are far, far superior than anything trent reznor could dream of writing. however, since i was making a list of "top 5 double albums"--which i really meant as "top 5 double albums that i listen to cover to cover without skipping songs on", yes that list would contain the fragile over the white album. in my personal opinion, you know, the one that applies to me and me only. i'm not trying to sell anyone said opinion, just pointing out i really like the fragile. you and i will never see eye to eye on rev #9, wild honey pie makes my ears bleed for its 45 seconds of torture, my hatred for regular honey pie isn't as intense as yours however i still despise the song and never need to hear it again, plus there are a couple other things i find less than amazing on that album. the river does not have an over-abundance of filler, however it's absolutely awesome songs far out-strip a lot of the other just good songs, and therefore as an album i don't do a whole lot of listening to it cover to cover.

hell, there are songs on the white album and the river that i like far, far better than songs on quadrophenia and exile, but as something i want to listen to from start to finish, the who and stones win out.

IWB, I'm impressed that you remember my White Album likes and dislikes.

Random: The Only Living Boy In New York is quickly becoming my favorite Simon & Garfunkle song.

IWB, I'm impressed that you remember my White Album likes and dislikes.

Random: The Only Living Boy In New York is quickly becoming my favorite Simon & Garfunkle song.

haha, well, it was quite the heated debate for several pages of either random or beatles thread.

the only living boy in ny is such a good song. i think i might need to go listen to that now.

I've never really bothered with Rage, I didn't realize I should be :uhoh:

Bonoz2012, another reason to like Cursive:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fchOA2VKVSs

:)

Sweet. I'm actually finally listening to Storm In Heaven right now, so I will get to that once it's over.

I'll sing me some karaoke Brilliant Disguise or I'm on Fire.. But apart from that

You know those are from two completely different albums right?
I don't sing karaoke. But I do employ knife crime on haters of Bruce Springsteen.

And my Axe!
Even the first one?

Yes.

Please do.

That cover was excellent, Mofo. Very pleased. I did listen to The Ugly Organ and I found the lyrics a bit grating over the entire course of the album, but on an individual track by track basis, I really enjoyed the sound and I will probably listen to some other stuff by them.

That is a very good song, yes. I honestly don't know what my favorite one would be by them. I'm kinda partial to "Homeward Bound"...

That's pretty much all I can contribute to the conversation at the moment, 'cause the album discussion going on I can't participate in. I really need more money and better CD stores.

Cobl, glad you had a good time at the Kanye show (if you read this).

Never has self-indulgence been so glorious.

My status about turning gay for him (along with Andre 3000, Joel McHale and Gary Ablett Jnr) has proved polarising, however.

Yeah, it is funny when people talk about celebrities' egos. When they're on stage, I want them to have a big ego. I want them to think that they're putting on the best damn show you'll ever see in your life. And if they have the talent to back up that ego, then you can't really argue with their claims.

It's when they have issues with that ego offstage that it can become a problem. And there's a fine line between confidence and arrogance, and it's a hard line for people to walk sometimes.

America is the finest Simon & Garfunkel song, I think. I get misty every time I hear that one. It's one of those songs that really captures being young and empty and trying to stuff that emptiness with everything the world has to offer. I'm a sucker for songs with the nuance to get to the center of ubiquitous concepts like wanderlust. Paul Simon was really digging deep there.

Bookends in general is extraordinarily observational. It's going to sting to hear that one in 40 or 50 years.

Oh, yeah, there's a lot of music out there that's becoming increasingly meaningful to me as the years go on, too. It takes a special kind of songwriting to be able to make music that people decades on can still relate to.

I'll just always love listening to Simon and Garfunkel's voices. Some of the best, sweetest, purest harmonies ever. I'm a real sucker for sharp, beautiful harmonies.

Awesome.

Cool song, too. I like the "Jeeeeeeeeeeeeesus Christ, girl..." refrain.

And if you don't refrain from sassing me like you did earlier in this thread, I'll have Billy D Williams himself poison your next 40oz of Colt 45

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom