Random Music Talk L: I Have A Dreamsicle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt I'm getting either, as the Hello Sadness stuff shoved out songs like In Medias Res and Who Fell Asleep In. Straight In, Romance Is Boring and The Sea Is A Good Place To Think About The Future are still there though.

And I know I've said I'm not a big Hello Sadness fan, but Songs About Your Girlfriend is there, and I'm excited to hear By Your Hand as an opener. That should be awesome.

I love By Your Hand but I don't find it to be a great album or show opener.

And I'm still mad they didn't play In Media Res when I saw them on the last tour.

All I know is they better be playing Baby I Got The Death Rattle.

lazarus said:
I love By Your Hand but I don't find it to be a great album or show opener.

And I'm still mad they didn't play In Media Res when I saw them on the last tour.

All I know is they better be playing Baby I Got The Death Rattle.

If the crowd gets into it, that chorus is going to be massive.

I'm pretty sure they are playing Death Rattle, but they're skipping a chunk of Hello Sadness. I can understand why in some cases...their music is getting more challenging to perform. With In Medias Res, it's probably just too complex to pull off.

Wrong thread, but I thought Sticking Fingers Into Sockets was a great EP. We Throw Parties, You Throw Knives is a live must-hear for me.

So, I'm kind of tentatively planning on heading to New Orleans' Jazz Fest this year with a couple of friends.

Never been to New Orleans before, so that is obviously the big draw. I'd love to see the city. The lineup has my boy TP in it, which is exciting, because he's pretty high up on my list of 'acts I need to see before they retire.'

We'd be going weekend 1. Here's the lineup.

Jazz Fest 2012

My friend who went last year, and who I'd be going with this year, said that the most enjoyable part of the festival was hitting up the random bars late-night and seeing obscure local jazz musicians and bands playing into the wee hours. I think you could probably do that in New Orleans at any time of the year but apparently during jazz fest it's even better.

Does anybody see any names on that festival lineup that you think should be a must see?

So, I'm kind of tentatively planning on heading to New Orleans' Jazz Fest this year with a couple of friends.

Never been to New Orleans before, so that is obviously the big draw. I'd love to see the city. The lineup has my boy TP in it, which is exciting, because he's pretty high up on my list of 'acts I need to see before they retire.'

We'd be going weekend 1. Here's the lineup.

Jazz Fest 2012

My friend who went last year, and who I'd be going with this year, said that the most enjoyable part of the festival was hitting up the random bars late-night and seeing obscure local jazz musicians and bands playing into the wee hours. I think you could probably do that in New Orleans at any time of the year but apparently during jazz fest it's even better.

Does anybody see any names on that festival lineup that you think should be a must see?

Cool. He's old as fuck, and I have no idea what he's even playing now, but it would be great to see Dr. John on his home turf.

GAF, if that happens, I'll be happy to give you some recommendations for French Quarter fare. This blackened rabbit jambalaya I get at one restaurant is one of my favorite meals ever.

As for my Mardi Gras trip detailed in the LC! thread, it had to get scrapped. But that means I'm probably gonna go to one or both nights of LC! here, so all's well that ends indeed.

I don't understand how any non-Texan would enjoy KOTH.

I enjoyed it before I moved to Texas, but I've always been a frequent visitor to the state. I suppose it's probably not a coincidence that it became one of my favorite shows ever after I lived there for a while.

It's one thing to criticize a sound based on clips, but the presentation of the concert as a whole (and things like how good of an overall frontman someone is) seems like something you kind of need to be there to judge. I'm not defending Martin by any means, but I can certainly imagine him being relatively engaging as a frontman.

Tool never seemed like the right word for him anyway. He seems more like a geek than anything else.

I will say this much, every time I have watched them live somewhere (their last Grammy's performance being the one that sticks out in my mind most firmly) I have been embarrassed for Chris Martin and unable to watch. I feel the same way about Thom Yorke for that matter. Never had a problem with either band's music, mind you. Just those two guys, watching them, it's painful for me. Now, I've never seen either band in person, and I find it hard to believe that it would be that different an experience were I too, but if you are all saying that it makes that much of a difference, I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt, seeings how you have, in fact, seen them in person.

I will say this much, every time I have watched them live somewhere (their last Grammy's performance being the one that sticks out in my mind most firmly) I have been embarrassed for Chris Martin and unable to watch. I feel the same way about Thom Yorke for that matter. Never had a problem with either band's music, mind you. Just those two guys, watching them, it's painful for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okX5QlekxKU

Since everyone else is giving input, I fucking HATE King of the Hill. Worst goddamn cartoon of all time

Every year I try to find a different way to rank the albums I hear throughout the year in a way that isn't stressful (because I don't want music listening to be a chore), is accurate and is useful in me having an idea of what I really loved throughout the year.

What I decided to try this year is to just rank albums in their own genres separately and then attempt to reconcile them into a top 15 at the end of the year. This came about during a very, very drunken rant I went on last weekend, but pretty much I've come to the conclusion that I think all genres of music are viable, but almost impossible to rank against one another.

I know that some people find genre tags to be stupid, but I find them incredibly useful. It's a generally great starting point in order to get an idea of where an album might be going.

Now, I'm not going to go crazy with this, and I think you know what I mean. Not going into every microcosm of every genre, but I think having 5 or 6 headers wouldn't be too bad. We'll see what happens.

Meanwhile, I have been having a hell of a good time looking at all of these articles on albums to watch out for in 2012. Travis spent a good deal of last year talking about his feeling that there were no good debut albums in 2011, and I couldn't really find a lot of examples to contradict him with. I plan to make 2012 a year in which I discover some great new bands. So far I've already run into Charli XCX, and a strange Horrors-y group called Peace. Neither have an album out yet, so I await anxiously.

I'll have to watch that *Is curious*.

I have to admit liking Sex on Fire, though the video only strengthens my suspicions that the song is about STDs. Or maybe STIs.

I kinda like that song, too, actually. But yeah, the topic matter is...um...eesh.

I never watched King of the Hill, either. Though I have a couple of friends who swear by it.

I do know that Tom Petty is one of the recurring voice actors on the show, and that's fucking awesome. Petty rules.

I've heard that, too. Given that I like Tom Petty's music and stuff, I'm surprised I never checked the show out as a result.

I've never seen "King Of The Hill", save for one clip from a commercial one time where the son is in his room holding a cheerleader outfit up against his body, and the dad comes in, sees that, and says, "There'd better be a naked cheerleader under your bed!" Which did make me chuckle a little.

bono_212's list post reminds me, I still haven't put up my top songs from 2011. Hm.

This blackened rabbit jambalaya I get at one restaurant is one of my favorite meals ever.

hillbilly.jpg

Use Somebody makes me want to murder newborn children.

Yeah, that song I'm not as keen on. I've said it before, but I'm generally pretty ambivalent about Kings Of Leon. Couple songs are all right, but eh, just not been my thing overall. Honestly, the biggest thing I love about "Sex On Fire" is the music-it's got a cool '80s vibe to it that I really appreciate.

But hey, more power to anyone who likes them.

cobl04 said:

Low blow.

Find me some Chrissy footage that comes within 100 miles of Bono's Live Aid performance.

cobl04 said:
Use Somebody makes me want to murder newborn children.

:up:

I still hear it on the fucking radio, and I'm still not numb to how awful and cloying it is. Hell, just call it "I'm horny" and get it over with. At least there's nothing patronizing about that. One of the ultimate "my gf makes me listen to this" songs.

LemonMelon said:
Find me some Chrissy footage that comes within 100 miles of Bono's Live Aid performance.

Doesn't exist. Although Fix You at Sound Relief, which I posted in the Coldplay thread, comes within 101 miles.

Yeah, LaMARCUSnWHiPS OJ (what the...? Take some of the time with your s/n and focus it on, I dunno, constructing reasonable comments), I'm sure the government is going to be REALLY scared of you.

Those sorts of people make me laugh and depress me all at the same time.

Edited to add: There's a lot I could say about this one, but I think it speaks for itself:

MelaniVitaliano

I swear if they shut down wikipedia I'm done w/ school. I'll drop outt. (y)

I've joined the human race and found I consider Pet Sounds a virtually perfect album. Lyrically, nearly every word of it rings true for me. Amazing. One of those albums, like Achtung Baby, where it's difficult to gauge how a younger listener is going to respond because it's so distinctly sophisticated in themes. These albums have grown with me and I love them like a best friend because of it.

Excellent run on the radio earlier: Raspberries - Go All The Way/Beach Boys - Wouldn't It Be Nice/Blondie - Heart of Glass. Nothing obscure at all there, but it really hit the spot. All of those songs are in the pantheon for me.

Hey Laz, you know how we always bitch about Coachella locking people down to just playing Indio? Well, The Glass House's facebook is teasing that they're having Coachella acts lined up. TV on the Radio and The Black Keys both played there a week before they played Coachella a few years ago. I doubt it's anybody big, but those bands weren't all that big back then. It's worth keeping an eye on.

I don't see how this is possible

But if Pulp winds up playing somewhere other than Coachella, I'll be there. Don't think I'm gonna make it up to SF to see them.

You think those pale Limey twats would be opposed to playing in the fucking desert in that godawful heat.

GirlsAloudFan said:

Go see Cowboy Mouth for sure. Great local band that almost broke through to the mainstream back in the late 90's. They signed with MCA but got dumped after two studio albums. The singer/drummer is a madman and they should draw a good local crowd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQwKdPGkiy0&feature=youtube_gdata_player
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9BQ3yfWflA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom