Random Music Talk CXXIV: Axver's All Out of Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Umm...

:huh:

My first reaction was that Macca seemed to be taking a page out of U2’s desperate plea for pop relevance playbook, and wouldn’t you know it, the track was produced and co-written by Ryan Tedder. Spoiler alert: he’s not John Lennon in the quality collaborator department.

For this kind of thing, it’s well-done and really catchy, but dear god, you’re in your mid-70s, man. No reward is worth this.

Very catchy. The double entendre doesn’t bother me (Why Don’t We Do It in the Road?, Hi, Hi, Hi, etc.), but I wasn’t expecting it. Don’t think it will get any airplay on radio because of the “Fuh”.

That is catchy. It sounds like literally every pop song of the past five years though. The most embarrassing part is a 76-year-old man saying he wants to 'fuh' someone.

He's also obviously smarter than U2. U2 have a blatant banger in Love is Bigger but they led with the two worst songs they've ever put to tape.

Sweetener is out. There's no tracks as banging as Into You or Dangerous Woman sadly :( there's a four or five song run in the middle of the album that's pretty great though.

Anyone listen to the new Mitski album? I think it may be her strongest work yet, or at the very least as strong as Puberty 2.

Geyser, Remember My Name, Me and My Husband, Nobody and Washing Machine Heart are early favorites.

Anyone listen to the new Mitski album? I think it may be her strongest work yet, or at the very least as strong as Puberty 2.

Geyser, Remember My Name, Me and My Husband, Nobody and Washing Machine Heart are early favorites.

I heard it. Very eclectic. I think her voice is the MVP of the record.

Sweetener is out. There's no tracks as banging as Into You or Dangerous Woman sadly :( there's a four or five song run in the middle of the album that's pretty great though.
Really enjoyed her last album. The new one is just ok, but the lack of over-the-top vocals is a nice change of pace.

He's also obviously smarter than U2. U2 have a blatant banger in Love is Bigger but they led with the two worst songs they've ever put to tape.

This is a good point. If you’re gonna do something this shamelessly pop, at least have the balls to put it up front pre-release. Had U2 dropped Love Is Bigger as the lead at least it would have showed conviction.

Yeah. They still would have copped shit, but at least it would have insulated them somewhat by being proper U2-by-numbers, not tryhard U2-by-numbers.

paul mccartney aped current musical trends in a desperate attempt to write a hit song? holy shit this is new for him

I was at a concert last night where there were a few people near the stage signing the lyrics to all the songs. It made me wonder why a deaf person would attend a concert in the first place.

My feet got a nice massage from the bass at an extraordinarily loud My Bloody Valentine concert I went to the other day.

Seriously, I think people just like the vibe, being around people who are having a good time, feeling the beat, etc.

Not to mention that deafness, like blindness, is a spectrum.

Yeah I figured there was probably some range of deafness where an interpreter would be helpful but perhaps not essential. The band was Beach House though, so not really a scenario where you will have beats pulsing through you.

I was a little skeptical of the super high score it got on Pitchfork, but it's a damn good album. Nobody is my favorite so far.

Umm...

My first reaction was that Macca seemed to be taking a page out of U2’s desperate plea for pop relevance playbook, and wouldn’t you know it, the track was produced and co-written by Ryan Tedder. Spoiler alert: he’s not John Lennon in the quality collaborator department.

For this kind of thing, it’s well-done and really catchy, but dear god, you’re in your mid-70s, man. No reward is worth this.

I lost all the faith in anything

Umm...

I turned it off about a minute in.

People crying about this ruining his legacy can fuck off from me, though. This motherfucker was one of the two principle songwriters in the Monkees. Come on. The legacy can never be tarnished. "Daydream Believer", "Last Train to Clarksville". I mean the list goes on and on.

omg i was just wondering if anyone had mentioned the new Paul Mcartney

someone please wake me up and get me out of this weird parallel universe dream whatever it is we're living in right now :crack:

Me at a Beach House show:

- "This sounds fantastic. Such a great live band. I love this song. Wait, haven't they played this song earlier in the set?"

[emoji38]

I... Can't pretend I haven't had that experience.

I love their new album, though.

I love or really like every album since Bloom, and yet I can't tell a number of songs apart.

I used to be that way but after getting way into their discography I'm able to separate the songs now, but not necessarily by name. I still can't attach names to tracks on the past few albums.

Last edited:
The only album of theirs that blurs sonically is Depression Cherry IMO. On 7, L'Inconnue, Lemon Glow, and Dive are all unlike anything else in their discography.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom