Random Music Talk CXXIII: Cilantro Lover's Club

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You recommended Marriages when I asked for angry music by women a few months ago. Best album?

They have just one, Salome, which I mentioned in my post. :tongue:

The run from Binge to Love, Texas is unbelievably good.

Thanks man. I'll add it to my list :up:

People forget about Beastie Boys comeback a few years ago... this song was fucking sick, and the hilarious film clip with Danny McBride, Elijah Wood and Seth Rogen (and a fuckton of guest appearances like Rainn Wilson, Rashida Jones, Will Arnett, Ted Danson and a fuckton of others) for it was such a nice callback to Fight For Your Right.

Also, I know Coldplay suck (or have since 2009 onwards) but I always really, really liked their cover that they played live that time. Sure, it's the complete antithesis of everything Beastie Boys stood for, but it's still really nice.

Nausicaa will always be the best Ghibli, partly because of how some of its music is so integral to certain scenes. Totoro a close second, although I've seen it too many times and need to come back to it later.

Hella good Melbourne music. Yes, that title is a western suburbs reference. Knew the Wild Meddies would deliver a good album this year, and they have not disappointed.

Can't remember where I heard this (I'm going back through my Shazams), but calling Laz, Ashley, LM, et al, all fans of Carly Rae, Chromatics, M83, Chad Valley, and so on, you will ADORE this song.

You probably got them from me. Those guys are my jam right there. I tried so hard to see them last year but they were opening for someone big and the show sold out real fast.

Last edited:
LM and 212 aren't you fucking seeing Gang of Youths in a couple of days?!?!?!?!

Before you go, you need to listen to this song.

I cannot fucking WAIT to hear how you liked their show.

Outside is comfortably among Bowie's best records and it's heartbreaking that he died just before him and Eno were exploring a reissue.

It's certainly an interesting and brave record for that point his career, and there are some great tracks on it, but I'd take The Next Day, Blackstar, and Heathen over it of his latter-day records. Maybe even Earthling if I'm in the right mood.

I'm liking the new Mitski song quite a bit, looking forward to the new album even more now.

The greatest gift Tame Impala has given me, even including their music, is introducing me to this song when they hosted a night of Rage.

And I was LITERALLY drinking in LA when I was 26, and I forgot all about while I was there, and never posted a pic to social media saying "What the hell am I doing drinking in LA at 26" and I will never be drinking in LA at 26 ever again and that gives me a lot more anxiety and depression than it should.

hell yes. i grew up with this song and its weird video because it got pretty heavy rotation on muchmusic back when they used to actually play music videos during the daytime, because the group is canadian and muchmusic for all its faults really supported the hell out of canadian artists back in the day. i knew all the lyrics at the age of 13 and if you were to play it at any random party of 25-35 year olds in canada I guarantee you everyone who grew up here would instantly recognize it.

Outside is comfortably among Bowie's best records and it's heartbreaking that he died just before him and Eno were exploring a reissue.

It might be his most underrated record, alongside Earthling and Heathen. But I’d put The Next Day and Blackstar over any of his post-Scary Monsters albums.

Loooove that Drinking In LA song.

I read about this South African singer Nakhane in Q magazine ... his new album isn't available on US Spotify, but an earlier album is.

Between that and a few songs I found on YouTube, I am buying everything he's put out, immediately.

Cobbler, you gotta check out Yaeji. She doesn’t have a full album out yet, but what’s out there has a great vibe. Start with Drink I’m Sippin On.

Thanks man. I saw the review of the re-released Exile up on p4k and that was a catalyst for my post. Can you nail the other three down to one album I should start with?

If I had to tell you my favorite of the rest I listed, it would be Saint Etienne's Good Humor. It's retro-pop perfection. And then probably Palomine for Bettie Serveert, it's most people's favorite of theirs and it's also their debut. For EBTG it really depends on your mood, but Amplified Heart is as good a stripped-down album as I've ever heard.

People forget about Beastie Boys comeback a few years ago... this song was fucking sick, and the hilarious film clip with Danny McBride, Elijah Wood and Seth Rogen (and a fuckton of guest appearances like Rainn Wilson, Rashida Jones, Will Arnett, Ted Danson and a fuckton of others) for it was such a nice callback to Fight For Your Right.

I also like.

I'm going to be a douche and post this both in the Shearwater thread and here in the hopes more people check it out.

Not sure if anyone else has mentioned it, but I HIGHLY recommend the Jonathan Meiburg side project, Loma. It's my most listened to album of the year, and the last track, 'Black Willow', is probably my favorite song of the year. Shearwater fans, check it out. Non-Shearwater fans, Meiburg doesn't sing, so you should check it out too. Great music to listen to at dusk, night, or before the sun has come up.

loma-2017-promo-04-bryancparker-2250x1500-300.jpg

Loma by Loma Reviews and Tracks - Metacritic

And WTF are the Black Keys doing providing a soundtrack to Wells Fargo trying to apologize for fucking people over?

The sell-out is now complete. Fuck you, Black Keys. Although I will still listen to and love Rubber Factory and thickfreakness. But with a tear in each eye.

FUCK.

B£a¢k K€¥$

They must be the biggest sellouts because I don't think I've been able to use so many currency symbols before with one band.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom