Random Music Talk CXXII: 2018 It Is

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to see The Chameleons tonight. I'm very, very excited. Never expected to see them live.

(I know Mark Burgess normally plays as ChameleonsVox, but this has only been promoted as The Chameleons. Not sure what the deal is there.)

Saw the xx at the bowl and got absolutely drenched. I'm happy to be on a warm train right now.

Congratulate me.

When I was buying my Protomartyr ticket this morning, I remembered to use one of my many, many settlement vouchers. I saved two dollars and twenty-five cents off my ticket.

Every time I've bought something from TM since the whopping settlement, I remember after the fact about the stupid $2.25 vouchers. Ticketmaster is the epitome of suck.

Every time I've bought something from TM since the whopping settlement, I remember after the fact about the stupid $2.25 vouchers. Ticketmaster is the epitome of suck.

Usually ticket buying is a race against time, so you don't have time to think about it. I was scrolling down the page to finalize the ticket, and I saw the box that said "voucher code." The little, tiny light bulb in my head glowed feebly, so I took the time to look in my TM account and copy and paste the code. Nobody was rushing to buy the ticket for this band, so I had the time.

Going to see The Chameleons tonight. I'm very, very excited. Never expected to see them live.

(I know Mark Burgess normally plays as ChameleonsVox, but this has only been promoted as The Chameleons. Not sure what the deal is there.)

How was it?! I was half tempted

Always adored Up the Down Escalator. Only listened to the album once but never persevered. Should have

I saw Bryan Adams last night with my parents and some old family friends. He's been a guilty pleasure for many many years, I grew up listening a lot to Waking Up the Neighbours (know that album back to front), Reckless too. They were great. He played WAY too many slow ballads (four acoustic) that could only possibly be enjoyable for mega fans, and closed the show with two acoustic songs, which was a major bummer. I would really have liked more upbeat rockers, a ton of tracks from Waking Up the Neighbours that I really would have appreciated as that's when he's at his best, just playing shameless upbeat rock/pop love power ballads. But the highlights were great fun, even though yes he's hardly a beacon of artistry. One Night Love Affair, Can't Stop This Thing We Started, Run to You (great start to the concert), Heaven, It's Only Love, Summer of 69, Only Thing That Looks Good on Me is You, Cuts Like a Knife. He also played new songs, some of which were quite shit, but there was a song called Brand New Day (which came out in 2015 off his latest new album) and it's the perfect example of what artists of his vintage should do if they're gonna put out new music - upbeat pop/rockers that fit your sound without challenging it too much, and that seem pretty effortless. U2 could learn a lot from it. It was a great song.

The dude has played at least 40 shows a year every year this millennium, by the way. Whatever you think of him that's pretty impressive and good fan service.

Haha, that's awesome.

When I went to see QOTSA two months ago, I think I played air guitar during the whole show.

I saw Bryan Adams last night with my parents and some old family friends. He's been a guilty pleasure for many many years, I grew up listening a lot to Waking Up the Neighbours (know that album back to front), Reckless too. They were great. He played WAY too many slow ballads (four acoustic) that could only possibly be enjoyable for mega fans, and closed the show with two acoustic songs, which was a major bummer. I would really have liked more upbeat rockers, a ton of tracks from Waking Up the Neighbours that I really would have appreciated as that's when he's at his best, just playing shameless upbeat rock/pop love power ballads. But the highlights were great fun, even though yes he's hardly a beacon of artistry. One Night Love Affair, Can't Stop This Thing We Started, Run to You (great start to the concert), Heaven, It's Only Love, Summer of 69, Only Thing That Looks Good on Me is You, Cuts Like a Knife. He also played new songs, some of which were quite shit, but there was a song called Brand New Day (which came out in 2015 off his latest new album) and it's the perfect example of what artists of his vintage should do if they're gonna put out new music - upbeat pop/rockers that fit your sound without challenging it too much, and that seem pretty effortless. U2 could learn a lot from it. It was a great song.

The dude has played at least 40 shows a year every year this millennium, by the way. Whatever you think of him that's pretty impressive and good fan service.

Bryan Adams and Phil Collins were both ruined by movie theme ballads in the 80's and were never the same after.

It was the 90s for both, really. And I love that song :sigh:. It's the only thing by Adams I'll refer to as a guilty pleasure. Otherwise, I think he's fucking great.

I will always stand by Reckless. Great pop rock album.

:up: I've got that too. It's a belter. His voice is so suited to the music. Plenty of other artists have done it without making it as addictive because their voices don't strain to the music like Bryan's does.

It was the 90s for both, really. And I love that song :sigh:. It's the only thing by Adams I'll refer to as a guilty pleasure. Otherwise, I think he's fucking great.

:up::up:

Pretty sure it's called that in the US due to another band having the name here first or something /toolazytogoogle.

I saw Bryan Adams last night with my parents and some old family friends. He's been a guilty pleasure for many many years

At least you feel guilty, I guess.

Bryan Adams and Phil Collins were both ruined by movie theme ballads in the 80's and were never the same after.

Yep. That Robin Hood song is one of the biggest pieces of shit I've ever heard.

The guy has an awful singing voice, too.

Wasn’t until the 90’s for Adams.

You are correct, I stand corrected. 1991 for what Laz accurately describes as a huge piece of shit.
It was the 90s for both, really.
No, Collins' downfall started in 1984 with that awful "Take a Look at Me Now" song. (and sadly he took Genesis down with him soon after)

Last edited:
Pretty sure it's called that in the US due to another band having the name here first or something /toolazytogoogle.

I think they originally went by "Chameleons UK" in the states if memory serves.

Edit: Or I may be thinking of Charlatans UK.

#alsotoolazytogoogle.

Last edited:
I think they originally went by "Chameleons UK" in the states if memory serves.

Edit: Or I may be thinking of Charlatans UK.

#alsotoolazytogoogle.
You're right. I'm mixed up. I can't recall the reason for why they were touring with vox at the end of the name. There was one though, because I remember looking it up.

Fuck. Loved her voice, The Cranberries put out some great music - Salvation, Zombie and Linger (to name a few). Rest in peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom